Project 2015.1 - ’71 Cinelli + 2014 SR + LWs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

This is very nice. Please can you sand away the rust on your Down tube shifters. It will only take a second.
All top stuff other wise :thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I think you may find its grease not rust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

Beancouter ...looks like your right. Can I recommend the OP uses

http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/crystal.htm

I use it and its fantastic and no more black grease marks.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

My '72 Cinelli was built entirely of NOS parts out of the box - some still have the original excess Campy packing grease evident. It is now a display bike and the grease is not normally highly visible so I left it there to preserve things and show it is still unridden. This bike was the inspiration for the current project - given the SC's reputation for superb handling and its beautiful looks I wanted one to ride with all the benefits of modern components. The one below weighs almost exactly 11kg ready to ride (the bare frame and fork are 2675g alone) - really interested to see where the new one will land.

Pic by FYXO
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Beautiful !

Ozrider

by Ozrider

More photos please. It will be awesome to see these 2 bikes side by side.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Ozrider wrote:More photos please. It will be awesome to see these 2 bikes side by side.

Looking forward to that scene!

Good day today - bottom bracket cups went in as smooth as silk and 35 year old braze-on tab for FD looks to be in the right position for modern crankset set-up (no plan B if that didn't work)
The parts I needed to solve the brake attachment challenge also arrived - just 4 days after ordering from UK - amazing. Just need the saddle and a couple of clear days to finish things off.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

One of my favorite frames I salivated over as one of those beautiful but out of reach bicycles way back when. Sounds like we're getting close...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Liggero

by Liggero

awesome builds!! both, the 72 and the new one. Saddles are a personal thing. I would personally choose a black flite from the 90's, now re-edited, with ti rails and black leather cover, than the new brooks, that is british and not leather and kind of retro, rather than a modern classic, like the flite or the super corsa. But that is just me, hehe. the german wheels look great in this frame though.
Happy Trails !!!

Cheers!

by Cheers!

wow

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Liggero wrote:awesome builds!! both, the 72 and the new one. Saddles are a personal thing. I would personally choose a black flite from the 90's, now re-edited, with ti rails and black leather cover, than the new brooks, that is british and not leather and kind of retro, rather than a modern classic, like the flite or the super corsa. But that is just me, hehe. the german wheels look great in this frame though.

I understand your thinking. Setting aside individual comfort it really is shades of grey for this frame. I would say that over half the original condition Speciale Corsas I see from the golden era (pre 1978 - anything after that is not a real SC) are fitted with Brooks B17's or sometimes B15's - particularly those in the US.
To further confuse things the Cambiums are more of the 'Italian' shape and are actually Italian made - by Brooks' parent company - Selle Royal (which also owns Fizik)

You would probably be right in assuming that I'm just justifying what my ass likes but I'm pleased that I don't need to go too far to justify a Brooks product given they have likely been fitted to SC's since their origins in the 1940's and now there is a contemporary version (and at a feather weight 400g!)

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

A couple more productive hours getting things together fitting the brakes and cables - almost. Bought a second brakeset to get two callipers with long bolts that I need to suit the frame mounts – with two front brakes on the bike I should theoretically have the best braking ever!

Drilled out the fork crown rear 6mm bolt hole to accept a modern 8mm recessed nut and used a standard M6 nut for the rear – to be replaced by a prettier acorn nut shortly.

The rear set-up is not quite right at present – you can just see that the left brake pad is higher than the right brake pad when viewed from behind even when both are at bottom of adjustment – the higher one is not cleanly on the brake track. Not sure if this is the front calliper having a deliberate asymmetry which doesn’t work at the rear or the frame being out of square – have a couple of ideas how to modify the calliper to make it align . This is like renovating an old house - surprises at very step

New saddle has arrived and definitely looks right on the bike. Using a neat 26.2mm Kalloy seatpost – (not a lot of WW options at that diameter) and tuned it using hardware from a KCNC post and cutting off the excess – got it down to 220g which compares well with the original 300g Campy Record post.
Cables almost done - need to find an old-style tapered housing ferrule to work with the frame RD braze-on cable stop.

will keep you posted - not predicting a finish time anymore
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Track cycles work shop I see, is this a customers bike or another one to add to Glens collection.? !!!

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

All mine - haven't convinced Glen to join the retro revival yet. Head mechanic Chris knows his way around older kit as well as the boutique modern items and Glen kindly allows my projects to stay at Trak 'in residence' until completed and use of the workshop for custom projects. Between us we are solving the challenges.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chayanat

by chayanat

Can't wait to see the finished product!