Project 2015.1 - ’71 Cinelli + 2014 SR + LWs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

greg12a

by greg12a

Hello dadoflam08,

Amazing work and attention to detail! I have recently purchased a 1982 Cinelli Supercorsa "show bike"; less than 20 miles; that was squirrelled away in someone's bike room for 30 years. I was debating the build - old school vs new school - but your build has me convinced. She's a beauty.

I plan to go with 2017 Chorus 11 groupset; DT Swiss PR1400 Stealth wheelset (which should look similar to yours - in appearance at least); a SR Royal Extra Light 26.0 stem; Cinelli bar; the original Campy Record 26.2 seatpost; Selle Italia Carbonio Flow saddle; etc.

I had a few questions I was hoping you could assist with...
1) In regards to the brake fitting issue, have you had any recent discoveries or brainstorms on other options? Or do you still need to purchase two front brakes?
2) I need to look closely at my fork, but is there still a need to drill out for the recessed mount?
3) How is the drilled Shimano cable stop working out? Any issues? I definitely like the streamlined aesthetic.
4) I plan to use the existing Campagnolo Super Record headset. Based on your experience and eye for detail, any issues? I expect you went with the Chris King for weight as well as a modern upgrade?
5) Is there anything you would do differently? :)

Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated!
Greg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greg12a

by greg12a

<Feel free to send me a PM if you wish. Since I have a new account, I'm not able to initiate one yet> Thanks!

jasonh

by jasonh

Speechless. absolutely stunning in every way.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Greg

Happy to help where I can.

1) In regards to the brake fitting issue, have you had any recent discoveries or brainstorms on other options? Or do you still need to purchase two front brakes? -
I would suggest you will probably be OK with an 80's frame - they had different brake mounts and often recessed bolts. This Cinelli is the only time I have not been able to fit a modern Campy brakeset straight on. Have a look at your frame, you might be OK.
2) I need to look closely at my fork, but is there still a need to drill out for the recessed mount?
Should not need it, again this is only time I have ever needed to do this and I would not do it to a frame that is in good original condition - see above
3) How is the drilled Shimano cable stop working out? Any issues? I definitely like the streamlined aesthetic.
These are effectively working just as cable stops as per a modern bike - no problems in that regard.
4) I plan to use the existing Campagnolo Super Record headset. Based on your experience and eye for detail, any issues? I expect you went with the Chris King for weight as well as a modern upgrade? I principally chose the Chris King for its lower weight over the original steel Record headset - I think it saved me about 120g. The original Campy headsets work perfectly and look fabulous - the Super Record version is a bit lighter than the standard Record one by memory.
5) Is there anything you would do differently? :)
The bike is working really well - for day-to-day riding I have found myself using Mavic Ksyrium SLR clinchers - very similar looking wheels to the Lightweights but clincher convenience. Apart from that no changes. The Brooks saddle is fantastic.
Look forward to seeing the end result.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Oh what a great Bike this is and the Studio pictures are just superb :shock:

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Greg

Sorry - just remembered one important item. The LW rear QR could not generate the required clamping strength to stop the rear wheel sliding forward in the older style horizontal drop outs when under load. Had to resort to a Fulcrum item. Now all good.

BTW - well done on getting a SR Superlight stem - that was my original plan when I had a matching alloy seatpost.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

greg12a

by greg12a

Great, thanks for the reply and feedback on my questions. Sounds like the 82 build will be much easier than your 71 build.

I was scouring the internet trying to find a 100-110 3T titanium pro stem or something comparable..no such luck. Found a SR Royal Light 100 in the - I think - rare 26.0 clamp. Interested to see what it looks like when it arrives...

Still debating on the 2014 vs 2015+ Crankset...guess the wonky 4-arm design is here to stay!

Thank you again, good stuff!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

dadoflam08 wrote:For a more contemporary look and less weight - a Berk SLR saddle - 7.55kg

The "barn door" background pics are my favourite...

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Wow... completely stunning...both of them. Can't believe I missed this thread.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

This is the perfect bike. Congrats!

greg12a

by greg12a

Hello dadoflam08, Had a few questions...

I'm still waiting for the SR Royal Extra Light stem to arrive, but in the meantime, I have a 3TTT Pro Titanium stem (same as yours). Regardless of whether I use it on this bike or not, I want to go ahead and polish it up since yours turned out so well.

Questions: 1) How did you go about polishing the Titanium Stem? I'm especially curious about what you did with the welds / seams? From your pictures, it looks like you were able to sand those down a bit and smooth them out. Was this just a fair amount of sanding (i.e. 600, 900, 1200) and then polish? Painful or not too bad?

2) Was the Deda alloy bar polishing pretty straight forward? Just the usual sanding then polishing?

3) How's the maintenance and upkeep for both (fingerprints, smudges, oxidation)?

For the record, I'm trying hard not to do a straight copy of your bike! :) Best form of flattery I guess. After research and hunting around at options, it seems like it always comes back to your selections (at least with the bars, stem, etc). I thought about older italian bars (Cinelli, 3T, ITM, etc), then newer bars (Ritchey, Easton), but either they bend/reach wasn't there, or no double cable grooves, or not really designed for modern shifters. The Deda 215 seems like the best combo of weight, reach, drop, and compatibility.

I'm sure more questions to follow, but thank you for your help!

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi Greg
Thanks for the kudos - happy to help more of these types of projects get on the road any way I can.
In answer to your queries:
1) - I cheated on this one - the stem was already polished when I got it so cant hep on the method
2) - For the project I bought myself a really cheap bench grinder and polishing wheel - the Deda was very straightforward to polish
3) - Very little maintenance - a quick wipe every now and then
The Deda is a pretty good bar for the reasons you have identified - I wanted a bar that didn't place the levers too far below the tops and didn't weigh too much. I have since acquired a 90's bike with a 3TTT Pro bar - that is probably even better as it has a flatter transition to the hoods. Starting to think about hunting one down for the Cinelli.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

How is this Cinelli looking these days?