Trek Y Foil 77. An iconic classic brought bang upto date.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Clannagh

by Clannagh

ronderman wrote:I gotta say I never cared for that frame. However, what you did was just awesome. We've all been taught to fear when carbon fiber gets a scratch and here you are tearing this thing apart, repairing it, painting it - you made it better. You did more in your basement than all the trek engineers ever did. Really awesome.

Really well done. Ride that bike and enjoy. I loved reading every step of the process. Thank you for posting.

Hi
Thanks for all your compliments, glad you enjoyed reading. Its taken quite a while longer than expected mainly due to a change of job so working on this became painfully slow at times.
Ideally id like to build these things, repair carbon fibre and produce carbon fibre products as a full time job. A big leap though from having a guaranteed income to winging it, particularly with household commitments etc. hey ho I'll see :thumbup:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

This is just awesome. I remember back to when I had two of them the give from the beam "suspension" was quite noticeable after riding a traditional bike. Do you have any feedback on how it feels? To me you could feel the bouncing up and down - not terribly pronounced and if you rode it all the time you didn't really notice after a few rides.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Hi
Yes it does have some bounce in the beam. Not overly pronounced though, it tends to smooth things out which is nice. I originally had a round 27.2mm carbon seatpost which probably evoked 'to' much spring as the seatpost also flexed, it would have had a stiff straight alloy post from new. It feels much nicer now with the aero post as that has very little give so any suspension effect is purely created by the beam section. I weigh 12.5st which creates 3mm deflection when seated, whilst riding or hitting bumps in the road I estimate approximately upto 5mm deflection. It really does work though with regards to making a ride much smoother. It's actually quite noticeable when standing out of the seat as the bottom frame (BB and rear triangle) is really stiff, you suddenly feel your on a very stiff frame. It is nice to ride and unlike anything else I've ridden I love it :thumbup:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@Clannagh-- sounds about right. I remember feeling that frame being super stiff when you stood on the pedals. I also remember that frame being one of the most stable when descending.
Speedplay is the devil!

Clannagh

by Clannagh

mdeth1313 wrote:@Clannagh-- sounds about right. I remember feeling that frame being super stiff when you stood on the pedals. I also remember that frame being one of the most stable when descending.

Think I need to swap my front wheel on blustery days. I went out yesterday in not the best conditions, it was windy but dry when I left however heavy rain set in just as I was about to make a well known local descent. I bottled it in the end and kept a finger on the brake 27mph max. Every time I went past an opening in the adjacent stone wall I was blasted! Probably extreme conditions as it was the tail end of a storm. On the flats though with a consistent wind it feels really fast and stable. Also very smooth on the beam. Why aren't all bikes made this comfortable? Ha

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Crosswinds were an issue, especially w/ the extra surface area from the frame design. When I was riding those frames I was using Ksyrium SL's (this was 1999-2004) so the rim profile wasn't much of an issue.
Speedplay is the devil!

Clannagh

by Clannagh

mdeth1313 wrote:Crosswinds were an issue, especially w/ the extra surface area from the frame design. When I was riding those frames I was using Ksyrium SL's (this was 1999-2004) so the rim profile wasn't much of an issue.

Think I'll try a 38mm profile see how that goes. Depending on wind direction it can work for you with this frame, similar to sailing :thumbup:

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Late afternoon ride in a winter setting sun :thumbup:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

With both Mad Fibers on, this looks amazing. Now just trim the steerer and it'll look f*cken amazing!

thebuny

by thebuny

Despite heavy wheelset it reminds me the mike burrows pair of wheels. Those fat spokes should look realy nice

Clannagh

by Clannagh

dereksmalls wrote:With both Mad Fibers on, this looks amazing. Now just trim the steerer and it'll look f*cken amazing!

I can't make my mind up on correct height yet, some days feel better lower other raised 10mm or so :noidea:
Once I finally get it dialled in I've got some plans for this area :thumbup:

Clannagh

by Clannagh

thebuny wrote:Despite heavy wheelset it reminds me the mike burrows pair of wheels. Those fat spokes should look realy nice

To be honest I've not ever been overly keen on Mike Burrows but they would aesthetically suit the frame :thumbup:

mattr

by mattr

TBH the Mike Burrows wheels were dire. Did an early season stage race when they were cutting edge and the 6 rider German team (sponsored by giant) brought 2 sets each, the LBS owner must have thought all his Christmases had come at once. After 3 stages they had (i think) 3 intact sets between them so had actually broken 18 of them, ended up relying on the local shop and other teams.......

There weren't even any cobbles.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

mattr wrote:TBH the Mike Burrows wheels were dire. Did an early season stage race when they were cutting edge and the 6 rider German team (sponsored by giant) brought 2 sets each, the LBS owner must have thought all his Christmases had come at once. After 3 stages they had (i think) 3 intact sets between them so had actually broken 18 of them, ended up relying on the local shop and other teams.......

There weren't even any cobbles.

That sounds a touch scary! Madfiber also had issues with their clincher versions, the carbon brake surface would delaminate from the the alloy tyre rim.. Doohhh :shock:
Luckily the tubeless version was all carbon with no alloy section so are fine :thumbup:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Anything new on the frame?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com