Velocite Selene Black edition

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Update: so bike looks like this now. I guess it's still pretty lame. It's 7.3kg with the carbon tubs
[\END UPDATE\]

So I needed a no nonsense training racing bike for my home away from home. I had a list of alloy bikes that I wanted to try (namely CAAD10, Falco Sakker). I wanted something alloy because I was always curious as to how good high end alloy is, and they worked out cheaper than carbon frames (except chinese carbon of course). I ended up receiving a sponsorship from Velocite so I decided to get on the Selene. Really impressed with the bike so far, it's everything I hoped it would be, and more. After the past month I've had on it, I can see why high end alloy bikes have such a cult like following.

Build List:
Velocite Selene Frameset
Campagnolo Athena MY2010 groupset
Rotor LT cranks with 52/36 aero rings
Michelin Pro 3 race tyres
Michelin Latex tubes
Syntace p6 highflex seatpost
Kalloy uno7 stem
Ritchey WCS Logic II bars 40cm
Selle Italia SLR gel flow saddle
Fizik superlight bar tape
BBB alloy cages

Not sure what race wheels I want to get for it (namely, high, low or medium profile). Probably going to be chinese carbon (simply because I can't think of anything else under $400). Any suggestions?

Finally, can anyone guess the weight?
Last edited by istigatrice on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Now I am considering getting one of the Velocite Selene frameset :beerchug: . May I ask how is the geometry and is there external cable routing?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Geometry is quite long and low. If you want stack and reach figures I'd contact velocite direct as the geometry chart can be a little misleading. The top tube is also close to horizontal for those who like a traditional look.

The frame has external cable routing, much easier to work on but probably not as aero.
Last edited by istigatrice on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

huck*this wrote:How do you like the Kalloy stem? Weight if you have it? On paper looks like great!

My 100mm -7 weighed in at 110g with the stock steel bolts.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I never got to weigh mine, sorry. I suspect they are fairly consistent with weights as a lot of weightweenies have bought them. They're quite light for the price in the shorter lengths, and stiffness is adequate for me. I certainly don't notice any flex in the stem. The clamp system is interesting, most stems ask you to do the bolts up evenly, on this stem you clamp the top side down, and then do up the bottom bolts.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Velocite makes good stuff. I used to have a geos and I loved it. I suspect the Selene is a hard frame to beat for the price.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

So after 3 years riding Campy I'm going back to Shimano... A step backwards some may say, but considering the performance of the new shimano front shifting I'm calling it a step up.
Last edited by istigatrice on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Changed back to black tyres, not sure if too much black but I kinda like it.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Just dropped into a bike shop and weighed the bike - it was 8.3kg :? :oops: :shock:

I better lose some weight, though I think the biggest saving is in the groupset, which would be expensive to replace. I can definitely lose ~100g by switching back to my Michelin Pro3 tyres, and maybe another 50g with latex tubes. Lighter quick release skewers may get me another ~60g so 8.1kg seems doable.

How much would lighter cabling save me, I feel like the cables, 105 cassette and 105 chain are big offenders which i can replace when they wear.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Got a good deal on some carbon wheels and SRAM Red derailleurs. I probably won't get a chance to fit the Red mechs until I need to change the chain though.

As pictured it weighs 7.4kg, not super light. If I wanted to go under 7.3 I'd need to cut my seatpost, get a more weightweenie handlebars (hard to find in 36cm) and possibly some tuning of bolts. I think further plans won't be for weight reduction, but rather for experimentation (e.g. I'd like to get my hands on some 165mm cranks and 33cm handlebars.
Last edited by istigatrice on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Are those 23 or 25mm tires? What do you think the max size is? I really enjoyed my ProLite Cuneo, but 25+mm tires weren't possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Currently fitted are 23mm tyres on 17mm internal rims. I've had 26mm S-Works tyres no problem with Shimano 105 5800 brakes (not sure it will fit with older model SRAM red brakes which I have currently fitted). 25mm tyres should be fine (even with older model sram red brakes), not sure about 28mm though. On my size s frame the clearance is limited by the brakes more than the frame itself (11 speed shimano would give maximum tyre clearance but they're a little heavier than I'd like).

P.S. your Cuneo is a nice piece of work :)