Olympia Leader Disc U-Di2 Hydro Aero Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Bit of a crazy/cool/weird combo...
Aero + Road + Disc + Carbon = whoa

Built this one for my neighbor, an architect, who wanted carbon, disc, and electric, so this worked well.

I took her for a couple rides and can say enough to draw a few conclusions:
http://blacksmithcycle.com/shop/olympia-leader-disc-in-focus/

Overall ride quality is on the solid side, not too far off a Ritte Vlaanderren, for example.
Handling is not quite race, not quite endurance...I'd call it relaxed road geometry.
Gotta say that I did LOVE the feeling of disc brakes on a race bike...just cool.
Great bike for a non-racer who wants something aero but with a focus on comfort and versatility.

Weight was a bit on the heavy side, so I am looking forward to trying out the Boost disc next.
Complete build was around 17 lbs as pictured, lighter with Xentis wheels.

Best,
Mike

Jengaback

by Jengaback

Amazing build. I've been willing someone on the forum to build one up since I spotted it in an article.
Personally I don't think the weight is all that heavy for a not totally over the top build. For a disc bike with a 2nd tier electronic groupset 7.7kg is pretty good.

Congrats :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

17lbs (7.7kg ) : Ultegra Di2, these wheels, saddle, hydraulics, in this size ? R U sure ? On aero frame ( not light from definition) ?

I'll bet 20lbs…

Very interesting concept BTW , aero + disc brakes. I like contradictions :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bencolem

by bencolem

stormur wrote:17lbs (7.7kg ) : Ultegra Di2, these wheels, saddle, hydraulics, in this size ? R U sure ? On aero frame ( not light from definition) ?

I'll bet 20lbs…

Very interesting concept BTW , aero + disc brakes. I like contradictions :)

Agreed, can't believe that is 17lbs as pictured. Also, sorry, but I don't get this clash of bike styles. Maybe I'm just getting old...

pushstart

by pushstart

That does seem a tad optimistic on the weight. My Force + TRP Spyre with 1600g carbon wheelset came in a bit over 17lbs. Of course without seeing the full parts manifest, it is hard to say.

Nice build, though; di2+hydro is what i would have done if I weren't trying to keep budget under $2700. I love the disc brakes on the road race bike. (And in the USA you can race as an amateur with disc brakes; I do.)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Did you weight the frame and/or fork? I know it's an XL, but am curious where a medium would come in. Personally I like the mix of aero + disc - if you're going to pay an aero penalty for the benefits discs give you, why not try to make as much back elsewhere as you can?

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Sorry, did not weigh the frameset as it came mostly built.
I am bringing in the Boost Disc as a frameset next and will weigh that one!
Btw, on weight, most lightweight carbon Di2 bikes are around 15 and change these days.
Add a lb for hydro and another 200 grams for the frameset and tada...17 and change.
Keep in mind these wheels are light, built with CX-Rays and even the saddle ain't heavy.
Carbon bars and cages also help ;)
But REALLY, it is not about weight, but about the ride, stiffness and versatility.
If weight is the concern Olympia have 3 models that are all lighter.

Mike

bencolem

by bencolem

CippoForLife wrote:But REALLY, it is not about weight, but about the ride, stiffness and versatility.
If weight is the concern Olympia have 3 models that are all lighter.

Mike

Err, did you see the name of this forum? ;-)

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

You are right. My bad!
I meant this frameset design was not focused on weight, being only the 5th lightest model in the Olympia lineup, and more on aerodynamics and comfort.
But weight is always important...lol.
Funny that since I opened my shop I have probably cared less and less about weight and more about ride quality and fit...sacrilegious around here, I know, but that applies to my own bikes as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com