2011 Trek Madone 4.5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

salemsebastian

by salemsebastian

Hi all,

I have lurked on the forum on and off for a long time and as I have a new weight weenie (ish) project i thought I should sign up and share the process.

I had been making noises about wanting a new road bike for a while then my girlfriend surprised me by getting in there first and then offering me her old Madone 4.5. We are similar in height so bike swaps are no problem. This is what it looked like stock:

upload imagem

It came to me minus bars and stem so the first step was to have a look in the parts bin and se if i could get a preliminary build put together, which ended up like this: (sorry for the pic quality, new camera is en route)

photo share

The next upgrade will be a new wheel set as the trek wheels weigh in at an unbelievable 2226g. I have seen a set from Superstar components that weigh 1492g for under £200.
After the wheel set i think a full carbon fork could save a big chunk of weight, I have seen a Chinese one on ebay for £55 that weighs 440g so I am going to weigh the original fork and if there is enough in it change that next.
I will be updating as i go (with better pics) Any Ideas of a realistic goal or tips will be greatly appreciated, looking forward to interacting with you all.

Total weight as it sits inc garmin and pedals etc is a hefty 8.71kg :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gmakris

by gmakris

very nice build!

salemsebastian

by salemsebastian

So far I have just tried to tone down the original look from trek. I re-cabled with black outers, switched to an unbranded post, took the logos off of everything and then de stickered the wheels.

I have some upgrades en route and will keep the thread updated with some better pics.

salemsebastian

by salemsebastian

Some updates.
Ultegra wheelset
Dura ace crankset
Flite ti
ebay ultralight stem (not pictured)

Weight at the min - 7.99kg

Next round of additions will be:
Ultralight inner tubes
Ti skewers
planet x cnc brakes