Pivot LES 29er

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GTea

by GTea

I've been loitering around here for a little while but finally decided to sign up and post my bike.

It's a Pivot LES 29er in medium and the spec is as follows:

Rockshox SID RCT3 forks
Chris King Inset headset
Roval Control SL carbon wheels w/Specialized Ground Control + S-Works Fast Trak tyres
XTR M9000 brakes
KCNC Razor 160mm rotors
Rotor REX 1.1 cranks with 32t Q-ring
XTR M9000 pedals
XTR Shadow+ rear mech
XT 11/36 cassette
Syntace P6 seatpost
Specialized Henge saddle
Niner RDO bars
Ergon GP2 grips

It weighs in on my scales at 9.8kg but I'm hoping to get it down to around 9kg if I can but I'm not sure where to start looking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Nice bike! The obvious, and non-expensive thing leaping out at me to save weight is to ditch the Ergon grips, and use an ESI racer grip instead. If you love the ergon shape, then this might be something you don't want to do, but it's likely that you'd save over 100g for $15 or so. The other easy place is tires (and setting them up tubeless if you haven't already done so). I think the Spec Ground Control is 660g for a 2.1, or 720g for a 2.3. The Sworks fast trak is 520g for 2.0 or 570g for 2.2. Upgrading the Ground Control to an Sworks Ground Control would save about 70g. Or going with a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 front and Racing Ralph 2.1 rear (combo I use and like) would put you at only 520 + 495. With weight savings may come a sacrifice in durability or puncture resistance however. And whether those treads work well where you live is another question.
Another possibility might be to replace the crank with a RaceFace Next SL cinch, and to get an elliptical direct mount ring from Absolute Black (saw he posted here about them not too long ago). I'm guessing that might save 100-150g also. Much higher cost of course, though you can sell the Rex and recoup some dough.

GTea

by GTea

The tyres are already running tubeless but they'll be getting replaced some time soon, at least the Ground Control will be. The Racing Ralph/Rocet Ron combo is what I'd been looking at but I just need to figure out which model to go for as I need a decent level of reliability for longer races.

The grips are the obvious weight loss area as you say but I'm pretty happy with the grips as I find them the most comfortable on longer 6h+ rides.

The cranks may be worth taking a look at, I'll have to see what prices they're going for.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Stem and saddle might be other places to look. I'm not sure which model Henge you have, but even the expert is pretty porky (236g). Also not sure what the stem is, but it is an area where weight savings might be had without sacrifice to function.

DanW

by DanW

I love Pivot Les's! Great looking bike and I was on the verge of getting one before the brain ruled the heart and I went down the Chinese carbon route :oops:

Other areas to look at could be cassette (XTR or XXTR perhaps over time), pedals (I love Xpedo), lighter bolt thru's (?), Ti bolts, even the bottle cage... ?