2013 Alloy Synapse

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

identiti66

by identiti66

Sorry guys, nothing exotic.

Bought it last year, spent more than I could really afford so went for what I felt was the best frame I could. It was the 'Sora' kitted one and, to be fair, it worked. Gear changes were a bit clunky and the brakes were average but it worked.

Decided on the Synapse as I have problems with my back and a couple of extremities so needed a 'softer' ride

Didn't use it as much as I'd intended but I'm upgrading it now with a view to a proper season this year (my first on the road, been an MTB'er until now)

Out of the shop weight was 10.13kg, frame and fork only (with headset and spacers) is 2.53kg.

This is it as it was

Upgrades (some have happened, the rest are in progress) are:
Thomson X2 stem and Elite seatpost
3T Ergosum Pro bars
Prologo Double Touch Tape
SMP Full Carbon saddle
Campag Zonda wheels
PZ Racing skewers
SRAM Force levers
SRAM Force front and rear mechs
SRAM PG1070 12-32 cassette
Ultegra 6800 brake calipers
Ultegra 6700 crankset (50/34), with 6800 BB
Time Xpresso 6 pedals
KMC EL chain

I've yet to decide a topcap, seat clamp (New Ultimate or CARBON TI are favourites at the mo), will be fitting PZ Racing carbon headset/stem spacers and I haven't decided on tyres and tubes yet (Michelin Pro4 Endurance are current top of the list for tyres).

I think that's it.

I'm 50 next year so I'm hoping the family will have a whip round and buy me a nice spangly carbon frame and fork (gotta love a bit of wishful thinking eh?)

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

The most important thing is that the bike gets ridden, a bike that gets ridden all the time is much nicer than one in the shed.

The Pro 4 Endurance tyres are great, they'll last for ages, seem to be decent at fighting off flats and are a reasonable weight and price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

Thanks.. tyres and tubes are ordered, just waiting for the braze on adaptor so I can get the front mech on and get back to it.

It didn't get ridden more than 20 miles last year but I'm on a bit of a mission this year.
Once this is built back up I'm not building any more (I can't do both, I can either build or ride), and this should be built pretty soon so I can take advantage of any unseasonally kind weather.

I'm not going full-on weight weenie, don't see the point on an alloy frame, but I'm hoping to shave off a couple of kg's (ish) and it's been kinda fun seeing where a few g's can be saved.

The biggest surprise was the bottom bracket.
The Ultegra one weighs 77g, the FSA square taper I took out was 320g!!..

identiti66

by identiti66

Not much love for the alloy Synapse eh?? :lol:

Bit of luck it'll all be cabled up and ready to roll by the end of the weekend so I'll post an 'out and about' pic of the finished article then - for my own entertainment if nothing else 8)

Braze on adaptor arrived this morning.. a hefty 30g..
Aerozine seat clamp too (and I forgot to weigh it).
Top cap (Fibre-lyte) and bolt (Pro-Bolt) ordered.

Wondering about tuning the Thomson stem and post.

Any Mid-Suffolk (UK) weenies with a high level of patience want to spin some pedals, feel free to get in touch..

djconnel

by djconnel

Thomson post clamp is a bit beefy but it's bomb-proof. The frame's a bit heavier than I'd have expected for Al, but the component selection seems really solid to me.

identiti66

by identiti66

The forks are only carbon blades plus the headset and spacers were in when I weighed it.
Plus its a 58cm, not sure how weight varies within the size ranges.

Not sure how much its supposed to weigh stripped down, what would you gave thought it might have made on the scales?

locktopus

by locktopus

As a point of reference, my 60 cm CAAD10 frame is 1217 g and all carbon fork is 441 g (uncut)

identiti66

by identiti66

Is that without or without headset and spacers?

Either way, is the extra half a kilo of my Synapse surprising?

My Fibre-Lyte topcap arrived this morning (I know.. this isn't a full weenie build but hey.. carbon is cool so I'm going to have some when I can).

Got a chain length issue going on, need to sort that before I can continue..

identiti66

by identiti66

Almost done for the time being.. original weight was 10.13kg (22.28lb), current weight is 8.36kg (18.39lb). Don't think that's too bad without my going mental..
I do need to either cut the seatpost down (it's the longest Thomson do) or swap it for a 250mm. I think that should shave another ~100g. And the offset brake pad holders aren't here yet, that should be a few g's too. Plus I want different tape, same colour just different make.

Not sure if I should post the spec.. :?

plag

by plag

Pretty impressive to drop 4lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locktopus

by locktopus

identiti66 wrote:Is that without or without headset and spacers?

Either way, is the extra half a kilo of my Synapse surprising?

That was with a few things subtracted (w/ headset, bb, seat tube collar, etc. it was 1331 g). I was surprised by the extra pound. I figured the tubing in the synapse would be similar to the CAAD (+ little extra), but I guess I was wrong.

Nice 4 lb drop!

identiti66

by identiti66

Ta :)

I think I can drop another 100 and a bit g's with the seatpost and the new brake pad blocks will be a bit lighter too.. when they get here.

If I 'earn' them, I'll try and go for some handbuilt wheels next Spring which will drop another ~300g.
Bit of wishful thinking now, it'd be cool to replace the forks with some full carbon ones too.. or hang on 'til I can go carbon frameset in a couple of years (I need to prove to the Wife that I'll use the thing.. she's already a bit peeved that I bought a brand new bike last year and all that remains of that purchase is the frame and fork - I blame it on the Aspergers :lol: )

Just need some decent weather so I can get out and ride the thing now!!.. arthritis is a b*tch..

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Looks a lot better, just needs a few decent pics now :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com