Wilier Cento1 SR Disc Hydro 6.84kg / 15.08lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I just finished building my new road bike... a Wilier Cento1 SR Disc. I'm replacing the Specialized S-Works Venge that I've been riding, in part because I don't like riding a bike from the Big-S, and I felt like giving road disc a try. This is one of the few "race geometry" road disc frames on the market, and to my eyes the best looking... plus the standard Cento1SR gets rave reviews for ride quality (even if the frame is not the lightest). I've been working on this for a month or so - took a while to get everything right (sanding logos off shifters and RD, anodizing Ti bolts, building wheels, etc). I was hoping to get it UCI-illegal, without making any weight-related compromises, but came up just short. Still, 6.84kg / 15.08lbs is pretty solid for a disc bike that's ready to ride. Here's the build list:

Frame/Fork: 2015 Wilier Cento1 SR Disc (size M, weight 1160g frame/bolts/hanger, 380g cut fork with base-plate)
Headset: Ritchey, with aftermarket UD carbon top cover, and Carbonice Heise Inge top cap
Bar/Stem: Enve Compact 42cm / 110mm
Seatpost topper: Ritchey Superlogic Carbon with Ti bolts
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow S2
Crank & BB: FSA K Force Light BB386 172.5 with 52/36 rings and press-fit BB
Shifters/Brakes/Derailleurs/Cassette: Sram Red Hydraulic Road Disc (Short-cage, 11-26)
Pedals: Coombe Millennium II
Chain: KMC X11SL
Rotors: Formula 2-piece 160mm front / 140mm rear, Ti bolts, Ashima post-mount adapter
Cables: Nokon Slimline
Wheels: Enve SES 3.4 Disc Clincher with Tune Prince/Princess Hubs and DT Aerolite spokes (24H 2x Front and Rear)
Tires & Tubes: Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm with Maxxis Ultralight
Skewers: Far and Near Titanium
Bar tape / bottle Cages: Arundel Dave-O / Gecko grip

I haven't had a chance to ride it (and may not for a little while) because there's snow everywhere with no signs of it going away. Everything is new except the pedals (which are close to new) which I moved over from the Venge. I'm a long-time Coombe pedal user (rode their Pro pedals for 10 years on one set of cleats!), and I really like these newest Millenniums: they're a bit heavier than the old at 220g for the pair, but they provide a more solid feeling platform than anything I've ever ridden before.

Time for some photos (ok, a lot of photos, all indoor thanks to the record Feb snow)...

Last edited by dwaharvey on Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

WOW

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Awesome looking bike. My favorite disc frame for sure!

mihai

by mihai

Please kill me now :shock:
The most beautiful bike I ever see.
Art,tech and weight.

Slammed

by Slammed

The first disc build I actually like, great job. :thumbup:

dton13

by dton13

Can I ask how much you weigh?

Would be curious to see how the wheels hold up with the 24h/24h once you get some riding in. I'm looking at a few disc wheel build options right now as well.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

best disc road build on here imho. I guess I am biased with a Wilier in the stable but still, this looks great and good weight too. I'd put some veloflex/cx clinchers on there though if your roads are ok

kgt

by kgt

Very nice disc frame and well selected parts! You can't go wrong with Cento1, it's a classic.
I would only replace the chainrings with all black.

netromsa

by netromsa

Very nice! It Doesn't have much tire clearance left it seems? 25 should be enough but just wondering

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@dton: I weigh 70kg / 155lbs. I don't expect any issues with the wheels. This is the only drilling that Enve offer, and I'm not at the heavy end of the spectrum. It is the main reason why I opted for the Prince/Princess hubs rather than King/Kong - Tune has a higher max tension for them, 120kg vs 100kg (I assume because of the carbon flange reinforcement) and I felt that higher spoke tensions would help reduce likelihood of spokes going slack under braking, etc, and improve the durability of the wheels.

@Monkeyboy: I used to ride Veloflex and liked them but found they punctured really easily on wet roads. The Michelins ride really nicely I think and they have great volume - the 25 tire measures 27.5mm on the front Enve and 26.5mm on the rear.

@kgt: I agree all black chainrings would look nicer, but after a few thousand miles they'd probably look like this anyway, and also changing rings would mean a new crank also because of the proprietary bolt pattern.

@netromsa: Not a ton of clearance, no, but I think enough: 5mm at the top of tire and 3-4mm at sides. With the wide Enve rims the front tire is more like a 28 than a 25

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Question for the pundits: I used Formula 2 piece rotors rather than the stock Sram Centerline ones, saving 17g on the front and 20g on the rear.... plus I think they look pretty. But taking off my mtb hat, and looking at that head-on photo... they're clearly not the most aerodynamic solution because of the thick aluminum carrier - a single flat piece of steel like the centerline rotor ought to be much better. Are they worth the 37g savings, or should I suck it up and go with the Sram?

Raineman

by Raineman

This is a seriously cool bike.

I think you'll find more speed in whichever rotor stops you best rather than the weight/aero in this case.

dton13

by dton13

Great, thanks for the info! Love the build + the wheel colour combo.

I'd guess that the aero benefits would be pretty negligible around the rotor given whats already happening around that area.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

yep I must admit that Veloflex is summer only tyre for me so fair enough, I've never given pro4s a go tbh, but they can be bought at a good price In the uk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I agree with dton13 on this. I don't think you'll see much if any aero improvements, so you might as well keep the lightweight rotors.