Wilier Cento1 SR Disc Hydro 6.84kg / 15.08lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The braking improvement with the center lines is worth the weight savings. I have a bin full of lightweight rotors that I removed in favor of center lines on both of my Sram disc bikes.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@743power, I've heard the centerlines brake well (and quietly) and that's definitely a strong point in their favor. But the Formulas I have on right now aren't typical "lightweight" rotors... they are a top-end product from a top-end brake manufacturer... not like a crazily machined out KCNC razor or an Ashima.

In terms of aerodynamics, maybe it's trivially small, but the Formula does have a thick star-shaped spider that is spinning and exposed to the air

Horacio

by Horacio

Awesome looking bike! I can't believe you got it to the weight you did. I have my Cento1 SR frame up for sale and this thread is seriously making me consider hanging on to it.
Great job on the bike.

dton13

by dton13

Looking at the data November Rails post (http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... 0k-tt.html), using data from the velonews comparison between disc and non-disc bikes...

I'd guess that the only difference you'd see between the two rotors would only be realized at a 0 deg yaw angle. I would guess at any other angle, the rotating rotor's should be quite similar. So at 0 deg the difference over between the disc and non-disc is 3W @ 30 mph. How much of that can be attributed to the rotor is hard to say, but given that you're talking about the spider which isn't the leading edge, and assuming rotor thicknesses are the same, the differences should be even smaller. But I'm no aerodynamicist :D

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Interesting. 3W isn't much but I was thinking that in the comparison between disc and non, the disc probably gains an advantage by eliminating the rim caliper, and then loses those gains and a bit more by adding the rotor (and caliper though that is partly shielded by the fork). So I was reasoning that the rotor could be adding more than just the overall wattage difference, and the variation between the two rotors could then be more significant. Total hand waving of course. The leading edge of both rotors is essentially identical, but that second surface of the formula ones is much wider (5mm? vs 1.8mm of brake track). Probably overthinking things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anders3404

by Anders3404

Specialized said 8 secs in their comparison test over 40 km

adson

by adson

just a curiosity, but did you notice the misspelling at seat stays:
'swing-arm integated design', pic.6.

otherwise, a great build.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

By far the best looking disc brake equipped bike I have seen!! I'm really liking your component choices too

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I hadn't noticed that! Not 10cm away on the outside it says "Integrated drop out" (spelled correctly). I got the frame from a reputable dealer - CompetitiveCyclist - so I'm not worried about it being a knock-off. Any other Cento1 SR owners with the misspelling on theirs?
Hopefully the Italians payed more attention to the construction than they did to the spelling!

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Looks like this bike on twohubs.blogspot.com has the same issue:

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Super build. I've yet to see a disc road build that really made me take notice, but you sir have succeeded in that!

Doyler

by Doyler

dwaharvey wrote:I hadn't noticed that! Not 10cm away on the outside it says "Integrated drop out" (spelled correctly). I got the frame from a reputable dealer - CompetitiveCyclist - so I'm not worried about it being a knock-off. Any other Cento1 SR owners with the misspelling on theirs?
Hopefully the Italians payed more attention to the construction than they did to the spelling!

The paint on my Zero7 is a bit crooked for the extended tail of the red logo on the top tube. This isn't my frame but it shows the bit I mean...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pnjx ... cle-05.jpg

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Got out for my first proper ride on the bike today. I have to say it's really good. Stiff but smooth, stable handling... everything I hoped for. The big tires are really confidence inspiring when cornering on top of all the sand we have on the roads right now. The brakes might well be worth the weight penalty - not so much that they have more power than a good rim brake, but the modulation and smoothness is really at another level. The frame was really solid under braking also, no detectable steer induced by distortion of the fork. On hard out of the saddle efforts I did get occasional pinging from the front rotor. I guess that's not too surprising with a 45g QR setup. So far I don't think it's bad enough to warrant a change, but an obvious solution would be to switch to DT thru bolt (9mm front) though that'll add another 40g or so, and Tune doesn't make compatible endcaps... so I'd have to have someone drill out a set of QR caps.

Aside from the "integated" seatstays, the only thing I wish were different with the frame is the cable routing for the front brake. It'd be so much cleaner if they routed it internally in the fork. Oh well.

DanW

by DanW

You have knack for putting together one heck of a bike! Love it!

On the subject of rotors, have you tried Hope X2 Race? They are my go-to rotor on MTB for being light but offer better feel and don't deform as quickly as KCNC/ Ashima

austke

by austke

Lovely Build. Thanks for sharing.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com