My 5.5kg Trek Emonda SLR - updated on 2015-Dec-07 (pg 4)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks nice!

amey

by amey

wojchiech wrote:a little update: made my own seatmast with tubing from Rockwest Composites and the rest of the hardware from Omni Racer/ebay.

90 g with hardware, 54 g saved over the stock non-slr mast, 5.8 kg (12.8 lbs) complete, Still solid after 1000 km. :thumbup: :beerchug:

How much was this? I am keen to get something for my madone as the rail clamps are pain in the ass with my saddle (kurve snake)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Nice job on the seat mast. That's cool.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Great seat mast job, looks good.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Wow that looks so right :thumbup:

toblu

by toblu

Great locking bike!

I am waiting for my own Emonda slr and want to copy your very good looking seatpost.
I havet recived the frame yet.
Do you remember what the name and dimention och the tube you ordered?
If your works fine, i dont feel like i need to invent the wheel again. :wink:
Sorry if my spelling sucks, from Sweden.

MartyW

by MartyW

Remeber guys: if anything goes wrong with your frame (cracked mast or frame-part that goes into the "topper"), you're screwed warranty wise. Trek has good service but they are pretty strict in these kind of matters.

toblu

by toblu

MartyW wrote:Remeber guys: if anything goes wrong with your frame (cracked mast or frame-part that goes into the "topper"), you're screwed warranty wise. Trek has good service but they are pretty strict in these kind of matters.

I understand that but im screwed anyway.
Bought my as a new waranty frame from US. Asked Swedish Trek but they said that im on my own if i get a waranty issue.
Im still waiting for the frame. Will get it in 10 days or so, hope everything is ok so i can start my build. Has new Enve 3.4 redy for it.
/Tobias

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Simple solution: if you're going to modify the seat mast, keep a spare handy. If you have a warranty issue, swap out the masts and go back to stock.

cazone

by cazone

Nice! Looks super fast

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

wojchiech

by wojchiech

although Trek's warranty and customer service is excellent, i've seen my fair share of broken components both personally and with shop customers. My inspiration for making my own mast was because I had to warranty my stock mast. It was kind of a let down to have such a heavy component like Trek's no-cut mast on a lighter frame, and not only heavy but not very durable. They could have used Ti hardware, a lighter clamp, better cnc'ing of the saddle rail hardware and dropped considerable weight on the mast. With the SLR mast and clamp barely 20g lighter than the stock mast it isn't even worth the moneyspent/grams saved. It's good to know Trek stands behind their bikes and products, but makes me wonder if they used higher quality, better engineered components there would be less warrantied products. :noidea:

if anyone wants to know I used the 30 mm ID Rockwest unidirectional bicycle tubing, hardware mostly from TorontoCycles, a circular glass/ceramic hole saw, dremel, fine sandpaper (400+ grit), and lots of care and patience. Total material cost was less than $100 usd. :thumbup: :beerchug:

toblu

by toblu

Thanks!
I will try to make the same seatpost for my Emoda.
Visiting US in late october, will try to get hold of the tubing then.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote deleted. no need to use that button when you are writing a reply.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

great work on the seatmast. I am sure there is a market for lighterweight seatmast's for madone/emonda owners out there :)

F45

by F45

Wow, I've lost a bebop like that, too. Got a ride home. That was back when I was a junior and hadn't discovered loctite. But I'll order those bolts. Thanks for the spec.

Stanvdmeer

by Stanvdmeer

Nice one! Which size cover from veloflyte did you get? I'm trying to find one for my emonda sl6. Good job on the seatpost too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com