Canyon CF SLX - XL - 5.953 kg (Updated)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Got myself a Canyon CF SLX XL which came in weighing 6.760 kg. I swapped 11 components, removing 1008 grams from the bike.

Last comment before data and pics: still need to chop down my steerer tube. Will cut it to leave 5mm over the stem.

Weights: 5953g with the Mavic's SLR, 6523g with the Zipp 808s Firecrest Clincher and 6968g with the RS31 training wheels I use on my rollers.

Lee Valley road track on 14 March 2015, before I swapped cassette and saddle.

Front wheel.

Rear wheel with Omni Ti cassette.

This thing is a work of art!

Bike sans wheels, Saevid saddle installed. One cage. Final weight was the above minus 11g for the cut steerer tube and 2cm of spacers removed.

Final build, came in at 5953g with the steerer tube cut (pics below).

If anyone wants details on components and weights, give me a shout.

:beerchug:
Last edited by DWatkinsBSB on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I owned this one in previous incarnation.
If you are happy with this setup just cut the steerer. I have been riding without the plug, the steerer is massive enough.
My one in 62 size, these days that would be something between 58 and 60 came to, as I remember, to 5.4kg ish.
I admit that I committed few ww mistakes dow the line: aluminium cassette and the same brakes as yours.
In the end of the day it doesn't matter how much your bike weights if you compromise the performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

1415chris wrote:I owned this one in previous incarnation.
If you are happy with this setup just cut the steerer. I have been riding without the plug, the steerer is massive enough.
My one in 62 size, these days that would be something between 58 and 60 came to, as I remember, to 5.4kg ish.
I admit that I committed few ww mistakes dow the line: aluminium cassette and the same brakes as yours.
In the end of the day it doesn't matter how much your bike weights if you compromise the performance.

The DA9000 brakes did stop better than the C7's. Nonetheless, the C7's have yet to let me down. Not the best in terms of modulation, but the stopping power sure is there. Nothing I'd consider "a mistake".

Cassette why, I did toy with the idea of an aluminium one but was quickly put of. I'll have the Dura Ace and Ultegra as day-in day-out cassettes, keeping the Omni Titanium cassette for special occasion. Will track mileage on it separately so I can write-up a review on it.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

I'm amazed your brakes stop at all given the gap between braking surface & pad! Or is just undone?

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

IamnotWiggins wrote:I'm amazed your brakes stop at all given the gap between braking surface & pad! Or is just undone?

Not undone, just could do with a bit of fine-tuning :doh:

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Updated saddle and cassette included to first post. Final weight 5964g.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Last update: steerer tube cut, 11g for free. Final weight of 5953g.

Went through over 10 pages of "Show me your Canyon" trying to decide if I should or shouldn't leave a spacer above the stem. Settled by this:

Before being cut.

After being cut, 2cm, 11g off.

Final look, 5mm above stem, Mavics, 5953g.

Hope my legs got what she deserves! 6523g with the config. above.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

5DII

by 5DII

Very nice. What kind of cassette are you using? And what is the bottle holder on your Felt?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

5DII wrote:Very nice. What kind of cassette are you using? And what is the bottle holder on your Felt?

Thanks!
The cassete is a Omni Ti 11 speed bought from Pro Cycling (eBay).

The cage holder on my TT saddle is one of these:
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/XLab/T ... Black/25IM

Using bottle cages from this:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... lsrc=aw.ds

Ideally, I'd have Gorrila cages there, but these bontragers have done the job very well for a third the price of two Gorrilas!