Parlee Z5 SL - 5.8kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I like!

What is the diameter required for your seatpost? I'm curious why you didn't get the matching Extralite seatpost to go with your stem?

Krull

by Krull

Looks good. Parlee z5 one of the few frames on my "want to own one"-list, just not shure about the right size.i am 173 cm.
may i ask, how tall you are? Thanks, regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonloh

by jonloh

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! This is my first real "full-on" weight-weenie project where every part was selected after much consideration and individually weighed. So if any one wants a scale shot of one of my components, just ask.

Now turning to some individual comments...
sugarkane - i have been an admirer of your bikes and your own Z5 SLi featured on CycleEXIF was one of my references ("role model", if you wish) for this bike. EE brakes unfortunately are beyond budget now (i blew my initial budget by quite a bit! :oops: )

IamnotWiggins - i noticed a tiny bit flex (i.e. not significant unless you really pay close attention) during my ride yesterday, and only when i was out of the saddle and hammering. But i'm not certain if it's my zipp handlebar or the stem. overall, i wouldnt think flex should be an issue if you are on the light side, like me (i am 60kg). if you haven't already, do check out fairwheel's stem review where the extralite stem had the highest stiffness-to-weight ratio (not the exact model as mine, but u get the idea). coincidentally, my stem and seatpost were from fairwheel. as u can see from my pics, the stem is really well made. IMHO, stems are a really easy place to lower weight without sacrificing much performance, considering that "normal" stems (zipp, 3T, etc) are about 120+g. My stem (100mm) came in at 78g.

Powerful Pete - yeah, for mostly standard components (less the stem and seatpost), the overall weight of 5.8kg (not paper-weight btw, it was actually weighed at my bike shop) was a pleasant surprise. Probably helped by the small size frame and the fact that sram red stuff (especially the cassette and shifters) are really light compared to campy SR and dura-ace.

Cheers! - my seatpost is 31.6mm. I decided not to go with the matching extralite seatpost as the new ultimate seatpost is 20g lighter! ...and the graphics on the extralite didn't really appeal to me. on a separate note, i didn't expect the new ultimate seatpost to have that white-coloured band towards the top, which kinda stands out. however, the picture on the fairwheel bikes website didn't have it. no big deal, just sayin'.

Krull - i am 170cm and i think the frame (small size) fits me great with an in-line seatpost and 100mm stem. the previous owner was your height (iirc) and he said he had a 110mm stem and a set-back seatpost. So i think an S will be great for you. As i said, i have 2 great bikes - TCR Advanced SL and CAAD10, but the parlee is a quantum leap. No kidding, my mind was blown when i first rode it. I was like a crazy lil' kid riding with a constant smile. I've done more than 500km on the parlee now, and i think it's a fair comparison as i rode the zipp wheels on both bikes before (wheels matter lots in the bike's ride characteristics). If i may say so, do all you can to get your hands on one. I had no budget for a new parlee frame (and they dont make Z5s anymore) so i had to go for a second-hand frame. i do see some second hand parlees on sale on this forum....go for it! :twisted:

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I used to ride a Parlee Z4 and I just felt that it was lacking. Apparently Bob Parlee did too and created the Z5 with BB30, etc. In that time I jumped on a BMC SLR01 2012 frame and fork. I love my BMC. It's a rocket on the climbs, granted I'm not full weight weenie build on it.

I'm thinking about jumping back onto the Parlee ship, as I've seen so many used Z5SLi's on ebay etc. Would it be an honest assessment to say that the Parlee Z5SLI is a better frame than the SLR01 BMC? Anyone? My main gripe with the BMC is the heavy seatpost, but I love the compact geometry with a tall'ish HT. I can slam my stem and it puts me in the perfect position. I want a weight weenie build (Lightning cranks, Extralite, SR11, etc), but I feel like my 12' SLR01 can't get me where I want to go in terms of weight. Was thinking about the BH Ultralight Evo, or another Parlee.. I have a Speedvagen to fill my metal needs, just want something light and snappy for long days in the hills, but the handling has to be up to par to my bmx riding style. haha

sugarkayne... What are your thoughts? You've been going hard on the Z5sli for quite some time.

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

jonloh wrote:IamnotWiggins - i noticed a tiny bit flex (i.e. not significant unless you really pay close attention) during my ride yesterday, and only when i was out of the saddle and hammering. But i'm not certain if it's my zipp handlebar or the stem. overall, i wouldnt think flex should be an issue if you are on the light side, like me (i am 60kg). if you haven't already, do check out fairwheel's stem review where the extralite stem had the highest stiffness-to-weight ratio (not the exact model as mine, but u get the idea). coincidentally, my stem and seatpost were from fairwheel. as u can see from my pics, the stem is really well made. IMHO, stems are a really easy place to lower weight without sacrificing much performance, considering that "normal" stems (zipp, 3T, etc) are about 120+g. My stem (100mm) came in at 78g.

Ah, thanks man. I'm a bit heavier than you at 95kg but I don't think I've ever made a stem flex so might get myself one.