Hongfu FM066SL 6.85kg Shimano 105

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Skynt

by Skynt

Hi, first post for me, felt it was only right to post my bike as have benefitted from the great advice on this forum.

The aim was to self build a sub 6.8kg bike that was predominantly Shimano 105 based - practical and light second bike.

I had to bin the ugly and heavy 105 chainset, I bought a KCNC chainset instead. Saddle is a bit heavy and intend to replace it with a selle italia kit carbonio and that will bring bike weight down to 6.76kg and meet its weight target.

Frame came in at 885 grams for a 54, hongfu were professional and efficient to deal with, dispatched bike very quickly, customs delays were the real wait, all in it took a month to arrive from the order date.

Ride is great, nippy and fun. Its a 54 so a smaller frame than my other bike and its a compact 50/34 so it is a contrast for those reasons alone. I would say its not as stiff/fast as my other bike but its lightweight nature is ideal for the hills and more forgiving on rough roads.

Very happy with the bike, it looks as good as I had hoped it would and I would recommend the frame to others considering it.

==

Brand: HongFu Type: FM066 SL
Final weight: 6.855kg

Frame size 54 - 885g
Fork - 350g uncut
Seat - Selle Italia SLS
Stem - Thomson Elite X2 Oversized Road Stem 120mm
Bar - 3t ergonova pro handlebar
Bartape - Fizik Performance Bar Tape
Cables - Shimano 105
Brakes - Shimano 105
Front derailleur - Shimano 105
Rear derailleur - Shimano 105

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

Wow, great weight for a bulletproof 105 build. Still looks super clean as well!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Looks great. The Mavic wheels really make it shine. Great job.

jorisee

by jorisee

May I ask what this all has costed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Shouldn't be hard to find all prices online...

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Wow, I'm impressed. This is a real value build.

How do you like the wheels, especially the braking with the Exalith coating.

And how do you like the KCNC cranks?
Ride it like you stole it

Skynt

by Skynt

NoInterVention / drainyoo – thanks for comments.

Jorisee – Cost £1975 / €2650 / $3000. This was just under my planned budget, all parts are new but the cassette is a Dura Ace off my other bike. I waited a long time until the Mavic wheels came to a sale price I was willing to pay. I dread to think what I spent on tools though!

Tomstr – Thanks, early days for me on the Mavics, screeching like a banshee on steep descents, that’s supposed to calm down. Braking power seems exceptional and a reason I went for these wheels. KCNC crankset would be something I would love to improve upon, I think it’s a bit flimsy but I really struggled to find an attractive low weight affordable crankset.

I will post some pictures later on in the year when it’s had some proper use.

jooo

by jooo

Is your frame BSA or BB/PF30?

A BB/PF30 Red Exogram crank is extremely light and if you hunt around, they can be had for a reasonable price.

jorisee

by jorisee

Thanks!

I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEAR

by CLEAR

looks great, this is what I consider sensible and practical bike. Money well spent on where they should or shouldn't. mind telling me what's the bb-saddle height? thanks

prebsy

by prebsy

It's really impressive to be hitting that weight with 105 and those bars. I can't help but think those wheels kind of go against the theme of the build and the $'s could save you more g's in other places, but they sure do look cool 8) .

Skynt

by Skynt

Jooo - thanks for advice, its a BSA.

Clear - its 73cm for bb-saddle height. I consider it a sensible bike, its got a lot of work to do and I wanted it to be built with parts I trust.

Prebsy - those wheels seduced me, I had to have them!

Slammed

by Slammed

Very nice budget build. The only thing I'd modify is your shifter/bar setup. If you rotate the bars down and move the shifters up the bar the hooks have a much more usable shape.

jooo

by jooo

The Red GXP crank is still pretty light, but not a massive weight saving over your KCNC setup and the GXP version is nowhere near the bargain ($/gram) that the BB/PF30 version is.

But having said that, it's stiffer, has better shifting rings and still saves close to 60 grams compared to what you have now.

dastott

by dastott

I have the same wheels. They do calm down over time re: noise. Love their performance and looks. Great build for the money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com