Cannondale Supersix Evo Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I thought it was about time I registered as I've been a long time reader. I started road cycling about 4 years ago after spending all of my time on a MTB. My first purchase was a pre loved Ridley Orion that served well. Since then I've moved onto my current steed, a Cannondale Supersix Evo di2. Not much has changed on it as far as weight weenies go but I've got plenty of time for that :lol: .

I've have recently completed an internal battery install to replace the external frame mounted one. The was done purely for aesthetics but it's apparently lighter too! I've swapped out the Ultegra Wheelset for my Tubeless Easton EA90 RT's. I've had great success with tubeless on my MTB so I though I'd give it a go on the Road bike. So far so good!

Here's The Spec :
Frame : Cannondale Supersix Evo Di2 2013, Size 54
Headset : Supersix EVO, 1-1/4" Lower Bearing, 25mm Carbon Top Cover (W/ 5mm Alloy Hidden Top Cover)
Stem: Cannondale C1 31.8mm 6 Deg 100mm
Handlebars : Cannondale C1 Compact
Bartape : Cannondale Bar Tape W/Gel, 2.5mm
Seatpost : Cannondale C1, Lightweight Alloy 27.2x250mm
Saddle: Specialized Romin Evo Expert Gel Saddle
Wheels : Easton EA90 RT
Tyres : Hutchinson Atom Galactik Tubeless Road Tyre 23mm
Skewers : Easton EA90 Skewers
Crank Set : CANNONDALE HOLLOWGRAM SI, FSA CHAINRINGS, 50-34
Bottom Bracket : SRAM PRESSFIT BB30
Pedals : Shimano 6700 Ultegra SPD-SL
Chain : SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6700
Cassette : SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6700 12-28
Front Derailleur : Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770
Rear Derailleur : Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770
Shifters : Shimano Ultegra Di2 6770
Brakes : Shimano Ultegra 6700
Bottle Cages : Elite Custom Race Bottle Cages
Computer : Garmin Edge 800 with Sensors and Barfly Mount

TOTAL Weight 7.7kg (Excluding Garmin and sensors)

Supersix

With External Battery..

Ridley Orion

MTB

Hope you like it!
Last edited by dmtevo on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Welcome to club EVO...

Good looking entry. Those are some super size pictures
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I'm trying to address the image size as I type! :oops:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for adjusting the photos. Your bike is definitely a solid starting point. Most everyone here will recommend lighter wheels/tires, but at 1550g those wheels aren't too bad (Zipp 303's run in the 1500g range, but are more aero). A word of warning on the Atom tires: they have very little puncture protection. You will get flats on those tires, but they can be patched (just not on the side of the road).

There are definitely a lot of ways to lose weight on your bike. You may want to start with the wheels, or maybe some lighter chain rings, along with a lighter seatpost, saddle, stem and bar. Good luck and have fun building it!

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I've been doing some research regards to loosing bike weight. I want to spend my cash in the right places in order to get the biggest gains.

I've looked at my bars / stem / seatpost and I was pleasantly surprised that the Cannondale C1 range is "fairly" light.

Cannondale C1 Compact 244g
Cannondale C1, Lightweight Alloy 27.2x250mm 212g
Cannondale C1 31.8mm 6 Deg 100mm 128g

So I'm thinking that's probably not worth the swapping out just yet.

I've ordered a set of 50mm Carbon Rims (DT Swiss Hubs) from Farsports, these will probably end up about the same as my Eastons but the Aero look will certainly make up for that...

I'm looking to buy a new Saddle for my MTB but thought about swapping out my Romin Evo (254g) for the Pro version 173g. So there we have 81g

Next on the list are the skewers, Planet X Ti's weigh in 96g lighter than my Eastons so there we have another saving.

Whilst looking at the planet X site the CNC Brake Calipers look a pretty good price too. They seem to get good reviews. Another 112g.

I've also popped on a couple of Chinese Carbon bottle cages these weighed in 18g each saving 48g on my Elite Custom Race ones.

81g - Saddle £100 (Was buying one for MTB anyway)
96g - Skewers £20
112g - Brakes £100
48g - Bottle Cages £0

=337g

This "should" bring me down for 7700 to 7360. These's another 70g to be had by changing my Chain and Cassette but as they're fairly recent I'm going to hold fire!

I've ordered the rims so they're coming but have yet to order the other bits... Are these good choices?

bura

by bura

Nice rides.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

superdx

by superdx

Excellent bike, I have the same model and year!

I went through very much the same process with parts replacement. Here's I did in priority, not really for weight weenie purposes but just general ride quality.

1. Wheels - The stock wheels aren't heavy but going with carbon tubulars is going to save you a lot of weight, and it's going to improve your ride as well including aerodynamics. It's probably the biggest difference that you'll ever make to the bike. Almost 600g of savings, at least, and you could get up to 800-900g depending on which wheels you pick up. I went with Zipp, but Enve and Shimano tubulars are just as good.

2. Stem / Seatpost / Handlbars - The C1 components are lightweight, but they make for an extremely harsh ride and they make the bike twitchy at high speeds. I swapped out the C1s for higher-end carbon Fizik parts and the difference in ride quality difference was huge. It was like another bike. And they inspired a lot more confidence in corners and downhill. It's a hard to describe, it's not just stiffness. But any replacements from Easton, FSA, others would provide similar benefits. Savings of around 300-400g.

3. Chainrings - The included FSA chainrings are terrible. You can feel them flexing under power, and even though its Di2, the shifting is a bit clunky. Go with Praxis chainrings and you'll never worry about it again. Savings of only about 50g here but the shifting difference is huge.

Hope this helps, you're gonna love making the improvements no matter what you end up buying. I wish I could do it all over again myself!

dmtevo

by dmtevo

superdx wrote:Excellent bike, I have the same model and year!

I went through very much the same process with parts replacement. Here's I did in priority, not really for weight weenie purposes but just general ride quality.

1. Wheels - The stock wheels aren't heavy but going with carbon tubulars is going to save you a lot of weight, and it's going to improve your ride as well including aerodynamics. It's probably the biggest difference that you'll ever make to the bike. Almost 600g of savings, at least, and you could get up to 800-900g depending on which wheels you pick up. I went with Zipp, but Enve and Shimano tubulars are just as good.

2. Stem / Seatpost / Handlbars - The C1 components are lightweight, but they make for an extremely harsh ride and they make the bike twitchy at high speeds. I swapped out the C1s for higher-end carbon Fizik parts and the difference in ride quality difference was huge. It was like another bike. And they inspired a lot more confidence in corners and downhill. It's a hard to describe, it's not just stiffness. But any replacements from Easton, FSA, others would provide similar benefits. Savings of around 300-400g.

3. Chainrings - The included FSA chainrings are terrible. You can feel them flexing under power, and even though its Di2, the shifting is a bit clunky. Go with Praxis chainrings and you'll never worry about it again. Savings of only about 50g here but the shifting difference is huge.

Hope this helps, you're gonna love making the improvements no matter what you end up buying. I wish I could do it all over again myself!

Thanks for your advice and much appreciated. I feel I may be getting addicted to this weight loss thing. I've been updating my spreadsheet to reflect the weights of each component. At the moment I've got 500g+ of weight I can't account for but that will soon change :).

I'll certainly looking into new bars, stem & seatpost and see what's about! As for the chain rings, would you spec the Praxis over the Cannondale Spidering. I've looked at them both and there doesn't seem to be too much in it.

superdx

by superdx

The spidering from Cannondale is even lighter than Praxis, and it's favorably reviewed by just about everyone. That being said the weight savings maybe barely 10g. They are definitely more expensive, and personally I love the look of the Praxis rings.

The weight of the frame itself, being not hi-mod, it's pretty hefty already, and things like the stem cap (20-30g) and other things just keep adding up to the weight of the bike. Skewers can save 80-100g if you go with carbon/titanium offerings but make no difference to ride quality. The headset can be replaced too and savings of 100-200g. But these make very little difference to the ride.

I also went with titanium bolts but not because of any weenie urges, the stock ones started rusting after a couple months, especially those on the stem so I replace those as well. Each bolt saves about 3-4g so if you do a once over on your bike, you can get maybe 50-70g in savings.

At some point it feels like you're just throwing money into fire!

dmtevo

by dmtevo

I didn't realise the savings of the spidering were so little. In that case maybe the Praxis are the best option for me as I'll need to buy the Spidering tool as well. I'm with you on the rusty bolts thing..

I'm started to get too excited about saving 100g when in reality I could save it by buying smaller water bottles :)

It's all good fun though!

dmtevo

by dmtevo

So after another little weigh in we're at 7.39g (New Scales)

Chinese Cages - Cost £0 (Saving 48g)
Swapped out Cannondale Bar plugs - Cost £0 (Saving 25g)
Swapped my cassette to 11-25 - Cost £0 (Saving 19g)
Ti Planet X Skewers Cost £19.99 (Saving 79g)

Total Saving 171g

I'm still waiting on my Carbon Farsports Wheelset but being 50mm x 25mm with DT Swiss Hubs I don't expect much of a weight saving, probably a weight gain!

I think my next purchases will be my Romin Evo Pro Saddle and the Planet X Ultra Light CNC Calipers. That should drop me another 193g.

I think I'd like to get to the UCI 6.8 but we'll see!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmtevo

by dmtevo

It's been a while but the Supersix is still serving me well.

Some of the changes since my last post include..

Zipp 303 FC Clinchers
Deda Superleggero Seat Post
Deda Superleggero Bars
Praxis Works Chainrings
Ultegra 6800 Callipers
Specialized Power Saddle
Jagwire Road Elite Link Brake Cables
Garmin 520

Future plans include Di2 11 Speed either 6870 or 9070 and or a power meter..