Eddy Merckx San Remo Record EPS 7.7kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Very nice bike..
This along with the 525 are probably the best frames from the Legend!

ronderman

by ronderman

Quick Review. As many of you know or may not know - we have a lot of snow here in New England. This is also the first week we've had high temps in the 40s. I wanted my first ride on this bike to be one where I wasn't wearing so much clothing I couldn't feel the bike.

Today was 45 degrees, so I mounted up a rear fender and took out this bike. I've only ridden her on the rollers and that was more to get the position dialed in perfectly before a ride.

So how is it? Given this bike retails for a bit over 3 grand U.S. with Ultegra 11 (and a full group) with Deda 100 cockpit and acceptable training wheels - I think this bike has massive potential to be THE sleeper surprise bike. The bike was plenty stiff enough (and I'm 6'3" 200), but, more importanly it rides really nice. Lots of monocoque carbon frames ride somewhat dead to me or flex too much. Over bumpy roads they also feel fragile. I've always like lugged carbon better (I had a Colnago C59 and EPS). This frame rides more like the Colnago. Very lively.

It's got the Merckx century geometry - not having any big issues moving from my Firefly which is setup very similar to my old Colnago geo. Getting to the drops in the Merckx is going to take some getting used to, but staying on the hoods and getting the back flat is a joy on this bike.

More to come as I ride it more, but feel free to ask questions. Basically very happy with this frame, my bet is that this frame goes up in price next year - I highly doubt it's going to stay at its current price once more people ride the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Sweet setup! Hey how are you finding the V1 Record EPS? I'm thinking of the same (external batt too and classic 5 arm) over DADI2 as a) I can get it a lot cheaper and b) I want an all campy build for my current project.

Nice!

ronderman

by ronderman

Thanks. I am loving the EPS - version 1 works fine by me. Totally nails every shift. I even have the ultra chain on there as I am saving the record chain for the nicer roads. Works totally fine.

Like you I got version 1 at a much lower price point - very glad I went with it.

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

Cool! I may just go this route then.

blownbudget

by blownbudget

:thumbup:
just built my Merckx SanRemo 76 and went with DuraAce Di2 9070 components. complete build weighing a tad over 7.2kg (53cm). broke it in with a 2 day 169mi ride and have to say one of the finest bikes I have ridden.

Samson

by Samson

Hi, I'm from Belgium and also ride a San Remo 76.
Rides very good, but I'm experiencing 'cracking' sounds, I think from the seatpost or the saddle.
Returned to the bike shop already 3 times, but the cracking keeps coming back.
Do you have any experiences with this on your San Remo 76? Still have the Prologo saddle in place?

I'm thinking of placing a new saddle, instead of the Prologo, and see if the cracking will still occur then.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

That is clean. Well played.

thom2544

by thom2544

Just picked mine up this week, stock Ultegra build but here I have my old reynolds on it. 7.7 Kg 53 cm, but I'm carrying 2 extra Kg on me anyway. You are spot on, it is a GREAT bike. No slop in the frame, stable as heck, demands to be ridden fast. And it is a beautiful bike too, I've gotten many compliments on it.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Love to hear more about this one. I had a 2010 EMX-5 which I still consider one of the best sorted in terms of geometry, unfortunately after getting beat to heck the head tube developed a slight crack, but I can hardly complain.

micky

by micky

I opened this topic for look at the bike but ended up in love with the work table! :lol:

ronderman

by ronderman

If you liked the EMX 5 then this is the frame for you - same geo. Yes, it's a very laid out geo. The 525, even at a higher price point, is not the merckx century geo. Just did a spin on this bike today and will be riding it all week. Was very impressed with it, I rode it today with King R45 hubs laced to DT Swiss rims on Vittoria 23mm tires and it rode great.

I do a weekly TT series, but I do it Cannibal style with my Bora tubulars. Have done 2 so far on my firefly ti with power-based cranks - which I don't have on this bike. Will be curious to compare times.

The work bench - you can get it at home depot for $70 - it's basically pre-cut an pre assembled. I purchased the stain, the finish and the paint for the top. Did it over 2 days and it took maybe 2 hours total - did it with my son. Had left over paint and painted the peg boards. Yea, it came out nice.

ronderman

by ronderman

No Belgium bike should ever be without a pair of proper handbuilts - here we have some King R45 laced to DT Swiss 415 rims.

Changed the handbag tape to grey and like it better than white and the saddle I wish was all black, but my butt is on it anyway.

Still think for the price point this is a great frame. Have been riding the firefly cause it has power, but will ride the San Remo all this week and then do the TT with the Bora wheels and see how my time is.

Oh, and EPS is awesome - 1st gen, whatever, this stuff rocks.

ImageIMG_5871 by P McQuown, on Flickr

edwinang

by edwinang

Hello there, am actually contemplating over the sanremo 76 and cento1 air. Any thoughts on both the frames? I've read the replies on this thread and leaning over to sanremo, how's the overall ride and is this of a good buy?

ronderman

by ronderman

edwinang wrote:Hello there, am actually contemplating over the sanremo 76 and cento1 air. Any thoughts on both the frames? I've read the replies on this thread and leaning over to sanremo, how's the overall ride and is this of a good buy?

I can't speak to the cento 1 air, but the san remo is a frame I have been really impressed with. The geo is different from most every bike out there - it's hard to describe, but you basically position yourself with more of a flat back than with other more traditional geometry. The frame is for sure stiff enough and as with any frame comfort has more to do with wheels and tires than frames. With that understood: I'm happy with the frames comfort, maybe a bit "carbon feeling" but it is a carbon bike so no surprise there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com