Ridley Helium sram red and colnago winter/training bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

weptunus

by weptunus

sooo, I got myself some new racing and training steeds, after getting hit by a car and thus irreparably damaging my focus izalco frame (bottom bracket cilinder came loose)

the training steed - colnago strada sl (alu) frameset with sram force and quarq riken powermeter, cheap sturdy fsa bars (with double bartape on top), stem, seatpost and prologo kappa saddle
I bought the bike new (with campa veloce parts (which are for sale now) and mavic aksium wheels) for a goood price from a lbs who needed to get rid of it and I put the sram force parts and powermeter from my focus onto this bike.
the high profile rims are to make the bike cooler in the pics, for actual riding I use the fulcrum cex 6.5 (actually racing 7 I think, these come with focus bikes only) set that came with my focus izalco. In the meantime I also installed some mudguards (crudracer mk2) and cardriver blinding lights for my daily commutes to work (41km tail wind in the morning and 41km headwind in the evening). Not very ww, but I'll post some pictures later (for now just some instagram pictures)...
Image Image

the racing steed - ridley helium with sram red and rotor 3D+ crankset
I got my hands on an unused 2013 10sp sram red groupset (without cranks) and from someone else I bought a rarely used (spare bike) ridley helium frameset with rotor 3D+ crankset, 4za brakes and campa chorus shifters and mechs (which are also for sale). Together with my few year old, but stil good running strong fulcrum racing light wheelset, they make a strong light bike for Belgian racing!
weighed it like in the pics but without the pedals and came to 6605 grams
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

specs:
Frame: Ridley Helium
Stem: Deda zero 1 (12cm)
Handlebars: 4ZA cirrus pru (alu)
Bartape: fizik microtex soft touch (black)
Brakes: sram red 2013 (10sp) (with bbb break shoes)
Brake levers: sram red 2013 (10sp)
Front derailleur: sram red 2013 (10sp)
Rear derailleur: sram red 2013 (10sp)
Shift levers: sram red 2013 (10sp)
Cables: jagwire
Cassette: sram pg1070 (11-28)
Chain: KMC x10.93
Crankset: Rotor 3D+ (172,5mm)
Bottom bracket: BB right Rotor
Pedals: shimano spd-sl 105
Wheelset: fulcrum racing light
Tubes: Vittoria corse evo cx-II (23)
Saddle: selle italia slr
Seat post: FSA k-force
Bottle cages: Elite

Any suggestions on budget friendly weight shaving are more then welcome, also I am looking for an extra powermeter. A powertap wheel (or hub, I can lace my own wheels) for the training bike and the quarq on this bike seems the most affordable option atm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Quite the pair. If I had to make one suggestion (on the Ridley) I'd say get a zero-setback seatpost so you don't need to run the rails all the way to the edge like that. Something like a Thomson Elite or 3T Doric would work great (or even stick with FSA).

Beautiful bikes regardless. Quite the enviable winter bike.

weptunus

by weptunus

the seatpost comes from my previous bike (and previous bikefit, with the saddle more backwards) and is the lightest I have lying around, so one of the purchases for the near future will indeed be a 0 offset seatpost, but for now I'm pennyless :P

weptunus

by weptunus

Here some new pictures of my training buddy in full on winter mode
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

chris8382

by chris8382

Gute Morge in Antwerpen! I lived in Bergen for two years and my bike often looked like your Colnago (but not just during the winter!). Your photos make me miss both Flanders and Wallonia. Enjoy!

weptunus

by weptunus

And in the pictures it's clean :) the worst is when it has been raining but nearly dry, lots of fine sand on the road which is still a little moist, sticks like hell on those fenders... But on cold rainy mornings when I have to do a 1h30 ride to work at 6:30, I'm happy I have those things...

weptunus

by weptunus

winter is over and the colnago is sold (I've kept the sram force for next winter, and put on a campa chorus gruppo that I had lying around)
last weekend I bought a new stem (17°) and zero offset seatpost, for now the cheaper heavier kind, to be upgraded later...
here are some pictures:

bencolem

by bencolem

I could tell you were Belgium just looking at the length of the saddle drop!

Nice bikes, helium looks a blast.

Krull

by Krull

very nice ridley. looks much better with zero offset post.
the -17-stem does not go such great with the sloping-frame, but if you need such a low front.....
Position of the "stis" looks a bit unusual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weptunus

by weptunus

@bencolem: thanks, since most races near me are flat 5k tot 10k laps for 100 - 120 km you'd like to be as low and aero as possible.
@Krull: I don't really 'need' to be this low, but I'm definitely flexible enough to handle this drop. I do agree that such a stem looks a bit odd, if manufacturers would start making frames with geometries to accommodate pro riders (although I am not one) that would be great! For a next bike this will be an important criterium...
Also, my arms are bent a little most of the time, so the shifters are bent to match the angle of my hands...