Ritchey Road Logic - Updated 2/27 Build List and Pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

roberto21

by roberto21

Hey guys, this is my second bike build over the last few years. Finally sold my Scott Foil frameset, so going with something a little different this year. Building up a steel bike that can be used for some nice long rides, maybe even some occasional gravel. Getting a new Ritchey Road Logic from a local shop and going to build it up over the next few months. See complete list and pics below. Came in at 7.56kg (16.66 lbs). I am extremely happy with the build. Now I need this snow to melt so I can go out for a ride.

Updated Specs:

Pics:

Last edited by roberto21 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I think you could probably find 45mm chinese carbon tubular wheelsets under 1500g easily. Also I would look out for used Sram red22 to save whatever weight you can over Force22.

Alternatively you can always mix and match things a bit. Sram Red22 shifters + rear derailleur (did Sram change the front derailleur pull ratio from the old Shimano FD-7800?). Shimano Dura-ace cassette... Different brakes... You could in theory be riding Sram Red22 lightness or lighter for less money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Red shifters and derailleur are nice, but the weight savings compared to Force 22 are minimal. Red crank and cassette are massively lighter though. On the other hand, Force is great on its own - my 6.4kg carbon build is straight Force 22.

I would go for Farsports 38mm clinchers, 2015 model year 27mm wide ones. Easier to swap tires, and probably around 1350g.

This is going to be an awesome build, don't forget to post pics when the time comes!

Marin

by Marin

Oh and make sure the tires you pick actually fit the frame fork and brakes!

bencolem

by bencolem

Are you saying that at 1770 the frameset includes the fork and headset? Impressive if so!

roberto21

by roberto21

Marin wrote:Red shifters and derailleur are nice, but the weight savings compared to Force 22 are minimal. Red crank and cassette are massively lighter though. On the other hand, Force is great on its own - my 6.4kg carbon build is straight Force 22.
I would go for Farsports 38mm clinchers, 2015 model year 27mm wide ones. Easier to swap tires, and probably around 1350g.
This is going to be an awesome build, don't forget to post pics when the time comes!

Thanks for the advice. I have the full Force22 group already so going to stick with it for the time being. I would like to get a Red crank/cassette down the road. As for the wheels, I will probably start with some cheap clinchers and get some ENVE 45's down the road. I am pumped for this build, should be an awesome bike by the time spring comes around.

bencolem wrote:Are you saying that at 1770 the frameset includes the fork and headset? Impressive if so!

I think this is just the frame. I am not sure what the fork and headset weigh. As mentioned above, I will be get actual weights when everything comes in.

PICS will be added as I receive components and the build starts.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Cant wait to see this finished. I have a Ritchey steel Breakaway I built with some leftover Rival and really enjoy it.

tk2306

by tk2306

150g for bar tape? Some easy weight to be saved there, some lighter tape e.g. Deda are a good 100g lighter for no cost. Looking forwards to seeing the build, Sram Force is a very sensible choice.

ryan0380

by ryan0380

I have a large soft spot for a Ritchey road logic, I will be keeping an eye on this thread

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

carbon fork and headset will add 500g at least. I thought the frame was more like 2.0kg could be worng not weighed one.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great frame choice, I really love mine and the ride is amazing. The frame is under 2 kg even my size 57 is 1800 gram ish, the cut fork on my ride weights in at 360,8 gram, the headset bearings are 28,1 grams and the spacers I've used combined to 22,8 grams.

Do yourself a favor and get the Parlee 28.6 clamp for braze on derailleurs. They weight a few grams and are friendlier to your frame then any allow adapter ever will be. This steel is thin, if you over torque the bolt of a alloy braze on adapter it will deform your frame. The Parlee clamp wraps around the seat tube and provides almost complete circular clamping on the frame. You can still find these clamps on the Bay. Yes they are expensive, but they should be one of those parts that you don't have to think about. you know you need it.

From your spec sheet I see that you are planning on a 53 39 crank paired with a 11 28 cassette. Have you ever thought of using a compact crank with a slightly bigger inner chainring? This way you can ride a 11 25 cassette and enjoy the closer gaps between gears. For instance, the area I live in is completely flat. I need to get into the car and drive in order to get to some decent hills. On my Ritchey you will find a compact crank with a 50 39 combined with a 11 23 cassette. When my rides are in medium hills I simply mount a 11 25 cassette when the climbs get longer and I can no longer power over them I mount the 34 on the crank.

Bartape, have a look at what Lizzard skins have on offer. their 3.2mm tape is pretty awesome. and comes at a decent weight. at least not 150 grams.

Get some Ti axles for the speedplays. they don't have them listed on the website, but if you email and ask for them i believe they can help you at titaniumspindles.com. mine are running for years now.

The bottle cages you list are CF, but not that light. Tune make a decent cage that is light as well.

I hope I gave you some good info. have fun with the build.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well Frankie you have made the frame even more atractive (the U.K distributor thinks its 2kg). I was unsure of the fork weight so thanks for clearing that up.

roberto21

by roberto21

Frankie - B wrote:Great frame choice, I really love mine and the ride is amazing. The frame is under 2 kg even my size 57 is 1800 gram ish, the cut fork on my ride weights in at 360,8 gram, the headset bearings are 28,1 grams and the spacers I've used combined to 22,8 grams.Do yourself a favor and get the Parlee 28.6 clamp for braze on derailleurs.
From your spec sheet I see that you are planning on a 53 39 crank paired with a 11 28 cassette. Have you ever thought of using a compact crank with a slightly bigger inner chainring? This way you can ride a 11 25 cassette and enjoy the closer gaps between gears. For instance, the area I live in is completely flat. I need to get into the car and drive in order to get to some decent hills. On my Ritchey you will find a compact crank with a 50 39 combined with a 11 23 cassette. When my rides are in medium hills I simply mount a 11 25 cassette when the climbs get longer and I can no longer power over them I mount the 34 on the crank.
I hope I gave you some good info. have fun with the build.

Thanks for the information on the fork and headset weight. Also, the Parlee clamp is awesome, consider it ordered.

As for the Force22/bottle cages/speedplays, these are all components that I already have from another build so going to stick with them for now. I need wheels and some other items before upgrading current components. Again, thanks for the info. Frameset should be here by Friday.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Happy to have helped, gents.

Roberto. About the speedplays, you don't need to buy a completely new set of pedals, you can buy a completely new spindle in Ti from them. makes Ti pedals from your steel axle verions for about 50 dollars.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

N3xus989

by N3xus989

Nice build! Looking forward to seeing some pictures (and weight of course!)
If there is a chance, try to have a look at the Chris King bb in person? Heard of some instance where it would look purple instead of gunmetal grey under certain lighting angles.
Have fun with the build :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com