New Custom Steel Cross/Gravel Bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ckyle

by ckyle

I'm in the queue for an April build with Nate Zukas. I have everything for the build, just waiting for my turn. Here's what we're doing:

Filet brazed steel frame, that will be a mix of S3, OX Platinum and curvy Chromo stays. Going to go with a 44mm head tube and Chris King Inset 7 headset. The frame will have internal cable routing, room for 29x2" tires and a stable BB drop. Nate says it should be around 1500g for the frame, and build a 16-16.5lbs bike. My spreadsheet totals up to 17.5lbs complete with pedals and bottle cages.

Two forks of the same geometry: ENVE Disc Cross fork for racing cross, and a custom steel fork that will fit a Furious Fred 29er tire for gravel racing.

Derailleurs and Shifters are Ultegra 6870 Di2
Crankset, BB, Cassette and Chain are Dura Ace 9000. The crankset is a 36/50t for gravel and will have a 46t Ultegra chainring for cross.
Brakes are TRP Spyre SLC disc brakes, currently with the crappy rotors that come with the set.
Seatpost and Handlebar are ENVE
Stem is a Ritchey WCS C260.
Saddle is a Ritchey WCS Carbon Stream
The wheelset is sick. Stans Valor carbon rims laced to Industry Nine ULCX Disc Hubs, for ~1202g wheelset on paper. I'm thinking 1250g probably.
Tires for gravel will be Furious Freds or WTB Nano 40's.
Last but not least, XTR pedals.

ckyle

by ckyle

I'll update this post as I have updates.

I'm really excited about this build, as I've found gravel, cyclcross and explore/all road riding seems to be much more fun to me than racing MTB and doing the same old group road rides.

I built up an All-City Space Horse an tooled around on that, even raced a few gravel races on it, and, while ungodly heavy, it was really a fun bike.

I sold the Space Horse, as well as my cyclocross race bike to fund this Zukas project.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Sounds like a cool bike.
Why wouldn't you go with Shimano 785 DI2 and matching discs?

ckyle

by ckyle

boots2000 wrote:Sounds like a cool bike.

Well, that is what I was originally going to do; but, It seems like the weight is at least 1-2lbs more for that. Granted, hydraulic discs are way better than mechanical; but, I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Honestly, if I could have found wide, light rim-brake rims, I would have went with canti's again. I like canti's; but, wanted to be able to have a light wheelset that can handle a 29er tire.

fposse

by fposse

My type of bike. Subbed.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The framebuilders who haven't the skill to weld and instead only know how to braze are the framebuilders to avoid.

ckyle

by ckyle

Valbrona wrote:The framebuilders who haven't the skill to weld and instead only know how to braze are the framebuilders to avoid.

That's stupid. Some of the best frame builders on the planet choose to filet braze. You're telling me someone like Richard Sachs is a frame builder to avoid? It is true that super thin steel, like S3 is better welded than brazed without lugs; but, to say that brazing is an inferior method of bike building, as well as assuming that frame builders who braze do not know how or when to weld is ignorant.

ckyle

by ckyle

ckyle wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Sounds like a cool bike.

Well, that is what I was originally going to do; but, It seems like the weight is at least 1-2lbs more for that. Granted, hydraulic discs are way better than mechanical; but, I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Honestly, if I could have found wide, light rim-brake rims, I would have went with canti's again. I like canti's; but, wanted to be able to have a light wheelset that can handle a 29er tire.

BTW, after looking at the 785 shifter/brakes again, it looks like the di2 hydro set up is less than 1lb different; so, I ordered it from Starbike. Selling the 6870 shifters and Spyre SLC set should offset the extra money spent.

ckyle

by ckyle

Juanmoretime wrote:Please post pictures as you can. I understand the love of gravel road riding and racing. Looks like this is going to be an excellent build!

Definitely!

WillT

by WillT

Looking forward to following the build. I had the opportunity to meet Nate at NAHBS this year - super nice guy and really knows his stuff. He's got some great ideas that he incorporates into his builds that really set them apart from others (in a good way). I'm sure yours won't be different!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Dang it, I was just in the Augusta area for Christmas and if I had thought about it... a gravel/crosser type bike is increasingly appealing to me in my old age.

In any event, keep us posted on the build.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

ckyle

by ckyle

WillT wrote:Looking forward to following the build. I had the opportunity to meet Nate at NAHBS this year - super nice guy and really knows his stuff. He's got some great ideas that he incorporates into his builds that really set them apart from others (in a good way). I'm sure yours won't be different!

I met him a few years ago at the SE Bike Expo. Great guy.

ckyle

by ckyle

I guess I never updated my post.

Here's the outcome:

ckyle

by ckyle

I've had the bike for a few months now. When I first received her back in Mayish, I wasn't happy with the front end geometry; so Nate rebuilt the bike.

The drivetrain is a mix of Ultegra 6870 Di2 and Dura Ace 9000. ENVE bars and fork, Thomson stem and saddle clamp, Ritchey saddle. The wheels are Industry Nine hubs laced to Stan's Valor rims.

The bike, as you see it, minus saddle bag, weighs 18.40lbs / 8,347g. It's heavier than I was hoping; but it rides very nicely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

What did you not like about the front end geometry?
What did you change from/to?
Questions?
Is toptube flattened?

ckyle wrote:I've had the bike for a few months now. When I first received her back in Mayish, I wasn't happy with the front end geometry; so Nate rebuilt the bike.

The drivetrain is a mix of Ultegra 6870 Di2 and Dura Ace 9000. ENVE bars and fork, Thomson stem and saddle clamp, Ritchey saddle. The wheels are Industry Nine hubs laced to Stan's Valor rims.

The bike, as you see it, minus saddle bag, weighs 18.40lbs / 8,347g. It's heavier than I was hoping; but it rides very nicely.