Colnago V1-R is coming... New guy from that little place off

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Hey Guys,

Hope you all had a good Christmas!

In the process of a new bike build, just bought a Colnago V1-R frameset after having a Retul bike fitting in London. I had hoped to be getting a Canyon Aeroad so as you can only purchase straight from Canyon in Koblenz, I thought it prudent to get my exact measurements first. However, my fitter said the frame would not be suitable for my long legs and short torso. Somewhat surprisingly though, he was able to offer some alternatives which they stocked themselves.

The Trek Madone was a very good fit for me, but I wanted to keep it as 'Euro' as possible, no offence of course! :wink: He had a fancy piece of software that matched my measurements to any of the bikes they had. We then came across the V1-R, a bike I knew little about if I'm honest but it was a near perfect fit with only a 10mm spacer. So I bit the bullet and got the credit card out, will be back down to the store in January to get the build and final fitting completed.

I have come across WW a few times when looking up real world weights over the years. Then found a build thread on here from a member with a V1-R, so I thought I might sign up and pester him with some questions.

I am on a Road cycling forum here in the U.K. but they are a strange lot, where people get shot down for getting expensive bikes and wanting to talk about them. So this place is really refreshing, people posting up their pride and joys and receiving positivity. Not to mention the celebration of the weights of these beautiful bikes!

So here is a few pics of my current steed, a 2007 Pinarello F3:13 (7.4kg) running Campy 11s Record, the second to most recent iteration. Before they made the new chainset with the universal sized spider that takes both the compact rings and the standard. Was originally running Fulcrum Racing 1s, but I bought some 404s a few months back! Pretty 'Euro' wheels I am sure you'll agree haha.

On the Fulcrums and my previous 10s Record Groupset:

On the Zipps and 11s Record, forgive the ugly git riding it:

I will do a proper in depth breakdown of the Colnago when it's all put together.
Last edited by MartyWild on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I really did like that F3:13 and the F4:13 when it first was released.... The whole lineup paired with the Paris FP was probably one of the best..
Last edited by jimaizumi on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Exciting! :)

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks for replying guys, after my first post hit 280 views without a reply, figured I might be left hanging.

I bought the F3:13 from a friend at work, with the Racing 1s and Chorus groupset for £750 back in 2009. Which was an insanely good price! I then got to work and changed every part accept the Most seatpost.

The V1-R is to be my first ever build from new. A little unsure about DM brakes and the rears positioning. Would also love to see hard figures from the wind tunnel for the V1-R. But still, I really bought the frame because of the perfect fit and its inkeeping with my broadly 'Italian' theme. I know the frame isn't made there like the C60. And the Zipps are cheating a bit too.

soracabana

by soracabana

Good choice! I hope to see very soon your first build...

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Nice bike, I like the F3:13 & F4:13 as well. I like how you kept the blue film on the crank arm. :lol:

MartyWild

by MartyWild

@ Sora - we have a government scheme here, that encourages you to buy bikes to 'Cycle to work'. In doing so I don't pay tax on the first £2,000 of the purchase price. So as soon as that's gone through, I'll be along to get the frame.

@ Iron G - Thanks a lot, my F3 has done me proud over the last 5 years. Cycled Stage 3 of the TDF on her this year as the stage left from my home town. I must say I never thought anyone would notice that I left the film on the crank, very impressive! All though the blue doesn't fit in with the colour scheme, you're not the first person to compliment it.

soracabana

by soracabana

Where you from Marty? I'm not shure I understood what you are talking about (cycle to work)?

MartyWild

by MartyWild

The UK, we have a government scheme where your employer lends you up to £1,000 usually to get a bike. Luckily where I work its £2,000 :)

You then have 10 instalments taken from your next 10 paychecks. This money comes off before you pay tax, meaning not only is the loan from your employer interest free. But you get a tax deduction of up to 40%.

Meaning for me, I will get over £600 off the cost of my V1-R frame. Does that make sense?

Google CTW, I don't think I can post links as a new member. It's a bloody awesome scheme in short. I got a Bianchi hybrid through it, the bike was £650, in terms of net, I paid £400.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

MartyWild, thats an awesome scheme...wish Japan would do that too instead of promoting hybrids and hydrogen fuel cars.. sheesh.

Looking forward to seein your new V1-R... Any ideas on what you're going to throw on your new steed?
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks Jimaizumi, the scheme is awesome. And the beauty is, the moment you have paid back the last bike. You can take out another immediately ha ha.

As for the V1-R, the 11s Record was purchased in the Sunmer with a view of it ending up on a new Frame at the beginning of 2015. So I will be taking it off the Pinna, it hasn't done that many miles and hasn't seen rain once. I will then build the Pinna back up with a cheaper Campy 11s gruppo. So I'll have the F3:13 for the Turbo and bad weather.

So the V1-R will be on Record 11s, with 2014 Zipp 404s (the Racing 1s will spend MOst of their time on the F3). I've bought a new Selle Italia saddle. So last thing to decide on will be the steering. I'm looking over some 3T offerings for that. Have plans for a few other nice finishing touches but for those you'll have to wait and see.

liam7020

by liam7020

What really grabbed my attention in the opening post was the fact that the Retul fitter told you the Canyon frame wouldn't fit you and then proceeded to offer you frames he could supply! I've ridden Colnago frames since 1999 but, looking at the geo table on Canyon's website, I would be very confident that I could achieve a very similar fit on an Aeroroad frameset.

I've had a number of bike fits done over the years but the most atrociously inaccurate was carried out by my local Retul fitter. Not saying all Retul fitters are as poor as my local guy but there's definitely more to bike fitting than joining the dots on a computer screen.

That said I've no doubt you'll be pleased with the quality of the Colnago frame!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

soracabana

by soracabana

You are a lucky guy Marty! Go ahead!

MartyWild

by MartyWild

@ Liam - I understand what you're saying, unfortunately I didn't feel confident with doing all the sizing and Geo work.

I have taken a leap of faith that my fitter knows what he is doing and has my interests at least a little bit at heart.

One thing that I do get though, is much more customer service and someone at the other end of a phone etc. I have heard a few horror stories about people having problems with their Canyons outside of Germany. Also with the Canyon I wouldn't get CTW scheme and I would have to pay a lot of money for fitting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MartyWild

by MartyWild

First part of the new build has arrived...