Colnago V1-R is coming... New guy from that little place off

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

Looking good. My only wish is black tyres...

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks Gents, I know the red tyres will divide opinion. I have a job lot of red Pro 4s from my last bike, so they need using. Also, I really don't get on with black tyres. I find them so dull, only my commuter has black tyres. Other than that, not a single bike I have owned in 15 years has had black tyres! haha

I was worried the red wouldn't work at all, but it ended up looking better than I had expected. I think they may be here to stay, I was thinking maybe red Tune QR skewers?! My kit also has red as part of the scheme, so perhaps it works better when I am sat on it?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

congratulations on a great looking bike and it sounds like it moves too.

i'm interested in the speed of it. you say you've hit some PBs. given you had all the kit on the previous bike all that's different is:
- bike frame
- your position

is that right?

how much faster are you talking? as a % let's say. or say how much faster is your "cruising speed"? (someting indicative)

i just changed from a c40 to a c59 and i do alot of riding on rollers to a 45 min clip and a standard weekend ride so quite standardised. much faster however i also changed wheels so i am having alot of trouble nailing down what's changed.

again, congrats, it looks brilliant and sounds like it is fun to ride too.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks MrGray, met up with a friend yesterday and he said pictures just couldn't do it justice.

As for the percentage gain in cruising speed, that is a really tough one! I've only done 233 miles on it so far. And March was hideously windy here in my part of the U.K.

It's a bit too early for meaningful data on Veloviewer, the V1-R is 0.4mph off my total mileage av speed compared to the F3:13, but then I'm comparing 233 miles of early season to over 2000 Strava miles on the Pinna.

I guess given the wind recently and taking it to the hills at my Mums, there is already proof the bike is faster. More interesting (at the moment) than the av speed is the PR tally, 557 on the Pinna to 122 on the V1-R.

Making the 'Miles travelled per PR' tally thus:

1955 / 557 = 3.5

233 / 122 = 1.9

On a purely feels term, it definitely feels faster. I've been riding into winds only to be shocked when I looked down at my current speed. As you say, frame and position being the only differences. On this fitted frame/steering I'm no longer over reaching, so I'm spending far longer in the drops, in fact spending more time on the drops than the hoods. Which never happened on the F3:13.

I'm looking forward to getting some decent miles logged over my usual routes, then I'm sure VeloViewer will display without question that the bike is faster.

reebzor

by reebzor

Call me crazy but I actually dig the red tires. Good looking bike!

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Cheers Reebzor, I have never had anything other than red sidewalls on my road bikes, I know no other way! Ha ha

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Qualified for the UWCT event in Denmark the other day, during a UCI Gran Fondo here in the UK.

I love this bike, it's fast, comfortable and insanely good looking in the flesh.

Looking to try and do some more competitive cycling on her!

soracabana

by soracabana

Hello Marty, have a look to this review :

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/06/colna ... sc-review/

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Haha, thanks Sora, that made for a good read. I absolutely love the bike. According to VeloViewer it's clearly a league up in quickness if the total mileage av and number of PRs are anything to go by. Also got me qualified for the UWCT too. Gets a lot of compliments too :)

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

The VR-1 is an amazing bike! I love the stealth graphics with the red details and the Scuderia Shields. It looks like a 458 Speciale!

Great article!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Awesome bike from Colnago. Nice build. If I needed anothe rbike in the future it would be a toss up between this and a BMC again

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks Gents! Mot many Colnagos hit the scales at 6kg mind! :)