De Rosa King3, 6740g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TimW

by TimW

Looks really nice. Like the King3 and in all white in this build, perfect. Keep the decals.

Finishing on the paintwork looks good, I've seen a couple of frames where it's a bit poor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thanks guys.

The frame to me feels very balanced and comfortable. It corners very well and has the best handling of my bikes, which is why I like it so much (besides the aesthetics). Since it is not the newest model (and an Italian frame :D) I would not claim that it is overly stiff. However, I'm below 70kg so huge stiffness values are not that important for me and it is definitely stiff enough and stable enough for +80kmh without trouble.

Compared to my other bikes I would put it like this:
- more responsive / more direct steering than the Time
- Time is stiffer in the BB area (maybe BB30 vs BSA?)
- Idol is stiffer in the HT area (maybe tapered vs not tapered)
- although they have basically the same seatpost design, the King3 is markedly more comfortable than the Idol

Since the Time, the Idol and the King3 have basically the same wheelsets, the comparisons should be somewhat valid.

The seatpost is made by http://www.boldprecision.com/seatposts.htm, basically it is a zero offset internal titanium stubby with a 29.4mm diameter and a slot in the back. It was very hard to find someone who would make it for me and the current solution makes the stubby almost invisible. In my opinion that looks way better than the original design.

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Sorry for the bad pictures of the stubbies, but you probably get the idea:

This is the seatpost design:

And that is how it looks on the frames:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Beautiful. How much does bold charge for this stubby seatpost?

cazone

by cazone

Lovely bike!

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

I don't remember exactly but it was around USD 400, shipping from the US to Germany included. Thats ca. EUR 150 per piece ex shipping for beautifully crafted and totally custom titanium stubbies. I had expected and was prepared to pay more. Albert is a great guy and seems to like making that sort of custom stuff.

titchegg

by titchegg

Beautiful bike - I love the clean lines and the white paintwork, which I'm not normally a fan of.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Just perfect...

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Gorgeous bike. I don't usually like big bold decals on wheels but I think they look great here

ubergoober

by ubergoober

Thanks for posting such a great bike. I have the same bike in the size with a 57.5 top tube.

As a new member I can't post images yet. I also took off the heavy seatmast, and went with a modified 87g Easton. It has no setback but works for me.

cheers

ubergoober

by ubergoober

a photo:

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. I can't believe i didn't see this earlier! I have a Rock Racing race bike in my collection that I have been looking for a seatmast solution for. I guess I need to call Albert again! Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, that is nice. You even made the red spokes work, which is no small task. Well done.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zak

by Zak

That is very beutiful build!

The lines of the King 3 frame are so pleasing for the eye in a very relaxed way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com