Scott CR1 Team Edition 7.06 kg / 6.82 kg w/ Carbon Tubs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

Check the stamped code, almost all of the parts will have one.

Most of those will be 7800, or 780x if there was an update.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

It's 7800. 7803 would be the triple. 7801 would be the update but IIRC the only updated part with that number was the pedals.

Super reliable and works very well. Two issues: the shift cables tend to fray, and the grease in the shifters gums up.

The former is easy to check: shine a bright light down the cable insertion hole. If it's fraying you'll see it. Try in the small and large cogs. Cables are super easy to change. I get ~3000 miles per rear cable. About triple on the front. I shift a lot.

You can clear up the gummy shift levers with CRC Power Lube. (my friend the LBS owner says that's the best). Hose down the mechanism from the back. It's worked for the two sets of 7800 on my rain and backup bikes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Apart from the fit issues I would change the tyre. I spot a gatorskin rear tyre. Fine for winter but if you want lighter you can save 80g right there and get a tyre that has lower rolling resistance and improved grip. Try vittoria open corsa's when the weather allows or Conti GP4 seasons which you can ride all year round.

the chainset looks like DA 7800. If you want to shave some more grams then you could try a different stem but to be honest you will have spend quite a bit to shave of 1 kg. Tyres are about as far as you should go really as it not heavy to begin with.

KarlC

by KarlC

mattr wrote:Check the stamped code, almost all of the parts will have one.

Most of those will be 7800, or 780x if there was an update.

I found the stamped codes they are 7800, thx !

eric wrote:It's 7800. 7803 would be the triple. 7801 would be the update but IIRC the only updated part with that number was the pedals.

Super reliable and works very well. Two issues: the shift cables tend to fray, and the grease in the shifters gums up.

The former is easy to check: shine a bright light down the cable insertion hole. If it's fraying you'll see it. Try in the small and large cogs. Cables are super easy to change. I get ~3000 miles per rear cable. About triple on the front. I shift a lot.

You can clear up the gummy shift levers with CRC Power Lube. (my friend the LBS owner says that's the best). Hose down the mechanism from the back. It's worked for the two sets of 7800 on my rain and backup bikes.

Thats all very helpful, thank you very much, I will look at all of that.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

bm0p700f wrote:Apart from the fit issues I would change the tyre. I spot a gatorskin rear tyre. Fine for winter but if you want lighter you can save 80g right there and get a tyre that has lower rolling resistance and improved grip. Try vittoria open corsa's when the weather allows or Conti GP4 seasons which you can ride all year round.

the chainset looks like DA 7800. If you want to shave some more grams then you could try a different stem but to be honest you will have spend quite a bit to shave of 1 kg. Tyres are about as far as you should go really as it not heavy to begin with.

I guess I will be dialing in the fit even tho I just had on done LOL. I made a slight adjustment to the bars already that feels better.

The tires are Continental Ultra Race (F) and Gatorskin (R), I live is San Diego Ca so weather is rarely an issue.

Removing 1 kg would be great, but likely $$$. I plan to get a gram scale, ride lots more and then come up with a plan on what parts I could replace and what the total weight saved would be.

Thanks for your input !
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Svetty

by Svetty

Best source of weight saving is generally the rider ;)

bm0p700f wrote:Apart from the fit issues I would change the tyre. I spot a gatorskin rear tyre. Fine for winter but if you want lighter you can save 80g right there ...... or Conti GP4 seasons which you can ride all year round.

Assuming a 23mm tyre, you won't save weight changing from a Gatorskin (220g) to a GP 4 Season (230g) - the GP4000S is lighter though (205g).....

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

If looking for a new saddle, I just thought I'd mention that as someone who has spent thousands of $ on saddles over the years, I too was an aliante rider who wanted a better lighter saddle. The only other saddle that fitted me was a specialized romin. This saddle with a carbon rail is gourmet and would look great on that bike whilst shredding some grams.
I know saddles are very personal, but if your rear end likes the aliante like mine does, chances are it may like the romin too. Just thought I'd mention to help refine your options. Most specialized dealers let you borrow and test ride for a few days too.

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres - 180grams ea

mattr

by mattr

FWIW, saddles are the one place I'd never compromise on comfort. Find a saddle that fits first, then get the lightest version, even if it is 100 grams heavier than the lightest one in the shop.

There's no feeling quite like a shredded undercarriage and not being able to sit down properly for a week. Flites for me, specifically the trans alp. Had to do 3 laps (of 4) stood up. The mate I sold it to used it for another 3 or 4 years with no complaints.

KarlC

by KarlC

Thanks for all of the input on saddles, being so new I'm not sure what I like or need yet. I did not like the curved shape of the current saddle so I got another one to try for now. Its a Williams Aurora SLC carbon saddle with carbon rails weighs 149 grams, I read good things about them and found a good deal on CL. After I took the photos I then had to rise the seat post 1/2" to keep it like it was before, so far on my first ride it feels good, we will see ........

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Easy weight to save
Deda bar tape - light and about $12 can save 50g over other tapes.
Cables - change to Allgator iLinks can save 50g
Tyres and tubes - by changing to GP4000 and Conti Racelight tubes or Scheslbe Ultremo you save 50g on tubes (25g x 2) and depending on what tyres you have on now you could save 50-100g per tyre
Handlebars and seat posts are the next items easy to replace and you can save decent weight.
Many alloy stems are fairly light, but you could get a decent alloy at about 120g. Carbon stems are much more expensive and about the same weight.
Wheels are usually the most noticeable upgrade on a bike. Deep carbon clinchers aren't light, often weighing the same or more than shallow alloy clinchers. I have Zipp 404 clinchers that weight 1660g and Dura Ace C24 clinchers only weigh about 1400g.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Starter

by Starter

@Ozrider: I've actually weighed a set of the 9000 C24's... 1560g. They are definitely heavier than claimed weight would suggest.

@KarlC: Think function first and weight second when choosing a saddle and tires. You won't ride if you're uncomfortable, or if you're constantly flatting. I live in the shining city two hours north of you, so we're riding the same terrain... Lots of earthquake heaves (pinch-flat paradise) and plenty of broken glass, courtesy of our accident-prone drivers and people tossing bottles from cars... Most of the guys I ride with (including some pros, of which there are many in our neck of the woods) are on Gatorskins, Vittoria Paves, or whatever heavy-duty tire their specific sponsor makes. I'm on Gatorskins. I ride the 25mm version, which has better rolling resistance than the 23s, and is faster... Although they are 240g. Paves are a bit lighter. I'm thinking of switching. I'm in saddle flux lately, as my position has recently been updated. Most recently I'm on a Selle Italia Flite Monolink, no lightweight piece of kit either at 182g. That said, my bike currently sits at 6.1 Kg with pedals and cages.

More importantly, I've never been absent for the closing sprint of a ride because I'm two miles back patching a tire. Or sitting on the side of the road clutching my junk in agony. Plenty of other places to drop weight.
Oof.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@Starter - is that with rim tape and skewers and/or a cassette? The 2014 C24 are advertised at 1387g on CRC.
I know the earlier models were s bit heavier.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

KarlC

by KarlC

Ozrider wrote:Easy weight to save
Deda bar tape - light and about $12 can save 50g over other tapes.
Cables - change to Allgator iLinks can save 50g
Tyres and tubes - by changing to GP4000 and Conti Racelight tubes or Scheslbe Ultremo you save 50g on tubes (25g x 2) and depending on what tyres you have on now you could save 50-100g per tyre
Handlebars and seat posts are the next items easy to replace and you can save decent weight.
Many alloy stems are fairly light, but you could get a decent alloy at about 120g. Carbon stems are much more expensive and about the same weight.
Wheels are usually the most noticeable upgrade on a bike. Deep carbon clinchers aren't light, often weighing the same or more than shallow alloy clinchers. I have Zipp 404 clinchers that weight 1660g and Dura Ace C24 clinchers only weigh about 1400g.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Thanks for taking the time to be detailed and name some suggested products and weights, I will look into some of these.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Starter wrote:@Ozrider: I've actually weighed a set of the 9000 C24's... 1560g. They are definitely heavier than claimed weight would suggest.

@KarlC: Think function first and weight second when choosing a saddle and tires. You won't ride if you're uncomfortable, or if you're constantly flatting. I live in the shining city two hours north of you, so we're riding the same terrain... Lots of earthquake heaves (pinch-flat paradise) and plenty of broken glass, courtesy of our accident-prone drivers and people tossing bottles from cars... Most of the guys I ride with (including some pros, of which there are many in our neck of the woods) are on Gatorskins, Vittoria Paves, or whatever heavy-duty tire their specific sponsor makes. I'm on Gatorskins. I ride the 25mm version, which has better rolling resistance than the 23s, and is faster... Although they are 240g. Paves are a bit lighter. I'm thinking of switching. I'm in saddle flux lately, as my position has recently been updated. Most recently I'm on a Selle Italia Flite Monolink, no lightweight piece of kit either at 182g. That said, my bike currently sits at 6.1 Kg with pedals and cages.

More importantly, I've never been absent for the closing sprint of a ride because I'm two miles back patching a tire. Or sitting on the side of the road clutching my junk in agony. Plenty of other places to drop weight.

Yes I agree, all VERY good points ! So far my only change is the saddle as I knew I did not like the shape of the Aliante that came on the bike, so far even tho the Williams Aurora SLC has far less padding it feels better, time will tell. Let us know if you try out the Vittoria Paves and how you like them.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com