Scott CR1 Team Edition 7.06 kg / 6.82 kg w/ Carbon Tubs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Starter

by Starter

KarlC wrote:
Yes I agree...
...Let us know if you try out the Vittoria Paves and how you like them.

Will do.

And as this is a post for tips regarding places to drop weight, I'll pitch in beyond playing crusty roadie praising heavy tires ha ha...

Skewers. Check what yours weigh. Usually the standard "whatever-came-with-the-wheels" set is around 130g-160g I run those eBay special bolt-on deals... Steel shafts, alloy nuts, 70g a set. And they run about $7-$15 depending on the manufacturer and the seller. Unless you're swapping on full replacement wheels from a support car, bolt-ons are fine. They take around five seconds longer to remove per wheel than quick-releases, and you carry a mini-tool anyway... It's a cheap and easy way to drop up to 90g.

Chop your post. Chances are you have around 20g-50g you can shed there. And it's free. Make sure you have a proper fit on the bike before you do this, and give yourself a centimeter or two of safety length in case you swap in a saddle with lower rails and you need to raise it.

Both these gains sound minute, and they are, but the weight-weenie game is one of tiny steps... Best-case scenario, you can shave perhaps 140g for a grand total of seven dollars. That's roughly a third of a pound...

Ozrider wrote:@Starter - is that with rim tape and skewers and/or a cassette? The 2014 C24 are advertised at 1387g on CRC.
I know the earlier models were s bit heavier.

That was directly off the wall at Performance Bike, no strips or cassette, using their bike scale... It's accurate to +/- ten grams, so that 1560g can go either way. I had to double check they were the 9000 series... Shocking. :lol:
Oof.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The Ultegra C24's weigh just over 1500g.
The older Dura Ace C24's 10 speed were about 1430g.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Starter

by Starter

Ozrider wrote:The Ultegra C24's weigh just over 1500g.
The older Dura Ace C24's 10 speed were about 1430g.

Could be we're discussing the CL's vs the TL's (clinchers VS tubeless ready)... As Performance bike only has the TL's on their website, I have to assume that's what I weighed. Even so, they came in over a hundred grams heavier than the "actual weights" I've seen listed on sites... Performance has them as 1464g... Competitive Cyclist at 1454g... The set I weighed was 1560g, +/- 10g...

Here's a 2013 article from bikerumor where they weighed all the 9000 stuff, including a set of the C24 TLs... They got 1501g with the tubeless valve stems installed...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/13/unb ... eed-group/

I remember several years back there was a rumor that some manufacturers were sending beefier (and by extension heavier) versions of their products to Performance. Something about the sheer number of potential buyers, many of whom were presumably newer, more accident-prone riders... The potential for misuse/injuries/lawsuits/whatever was greater than the crowd that shopped at traditional LBS's... Dunno who I heard it from or if there was ever any truth to it. But weighing those wheels made me think of it, ha ha...

After looking at all these site's weights, and the bikerumor article, I'm thinking it's more than likely that I weighed a product on one extreme of the spec'd weight manufacturing tolerances. It happens, as you know. With wheels in particular.
Oof.

KarlC

by KarlC

Starter wrote:And as this is a post for tips regarding places to drop weight, I'll pitch in beyond playing crusty roadie praising heavy tires ha ha...

Skewers. Check what yours weigh. Usually the standard "whatever-came-with-the-wheels" set is around 130g-160g I run those eBay special bolt-on deals... Steel shafts, alloy nuts, 70g a set. And they run about $7-$15 depending on the manufacturer and the seller. Unless you're swapping on full replacement wheels from a support car, bolt-ons are fine. They take around five seconds longer to remove per wheel than quick-releases, and you carry a mini-tool anyway... It's a cheap and easy way to drop up to 90g.

Skewers -

Well I weighed my skewers and they are pretty light already Front is 23g Rear is 16g so I wont be losing much if any there.

I did lose 106g by changing to a new saddle (149g vs 255g) and so far I like it, so that's good.

Last edited by KarlC on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Cages -

I don't like the look of the cage that came with the bike and they are 41g each. So I found some I like on Ebay that are said to be 16G, I got 2 of these .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301177125746?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Just got these off ebay ......

Had Shimano Pd - R600 pedals - 308 grams - Now have Speedplay X Titanium pedals - 151 grams - Down another 157 grams and I like the Speedplays better !

Down 263 grams total so far

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

KarlC wrote:Cages -

I don't like the look of the cage that came with the bike and they are 41g each. So I found some I like on Ebay that are said to be 16G, I got 2 of these .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301177125746?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Cages came in, seller said 16g mine are 20g still not bad for $32 for the 2 of them. The quality is very nice and they hold the bottle really well.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Also got some used Deep V Carbon Tubular wheels and it looks like a may lose some grams here also. I need to change the a few things and then check to be sure how much. Here is a quick shot for now......

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

How she looks with the changes at 7.06 kg / 15.56 lbs

And with Deep V Carbon wheels at 6.82 kg / 15.03 lbs

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

Bump..... Looking for added input on my bike, thx

As for my I'm riding 3+xs a week and lost 7lbs so far.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Purely cosmetic: flip the stem... (looks better).

Also, well done on both your weight and your bike's weight. You're at race weight with race wheels, so I'd look into spending the rest of the money on nice cycling kit, or accessories like a Garmin to record your rides (assuming you don't have those). Once you're kitted out I'd look at a bike fit, then I'd look at dropping more weight off the bike.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

KarlC

by KarlC

istigatrice wrote:Purely cosmetic: flip the stem... (looks better).

Also, well done on both your weight and your bike's weight. You're at race weight with race wheels, so I'd look into spending the rest of the money on nice cycling kit, or accessories like a Garmin to record your rides (assuming you don't have those). Once you're kitted out I'd look at a bike fit, then I'd look at dropping more weight off the bike.

As far as the Stem - I'm working on my flexibility and getting lower. The fitter set me up with this stem and put all my spacers under it, now I have the stem as low as it will go with all of the spacers on top. I have a new flat / longer stem and new handlebars ordered, hoping to improve the fit, lose some grams and improve the look.

Here is where I am at now.....

I have some older kits I am using, but I may add more, for tracking my ride right now I am using Strava. I plan to make a few more changes and then get fitted again.

Right now I am also slowly taking my bike apart, weighting items and updating up 1st post, then I can see where cheep changes can be made.

It turns out the seat is a few grams less than I thought at 143g .....

The upper seat clamp is on the heavy side at 48g and bolts at 26g .....

Seat post 93g at 335mm long .....

All together at 167g .........

and also the post clamp at 16g .......

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

liam7020

by liam7020

It's defo time to flip that stem and use whatever spacers are required to achieve the same bar height as you have now. When you're re-fitting the bars ensure that the flat section of the drops is at least parallel to the ground or, preferably, parallel to the angle of the flipped stem. If that leaves your shifters sitting a tad high then strip the bar tape back and slide the shifters down slightly. Unless you're Sean Yates your current bar angle doesn't look right.

You should also consider trimming your gear cables to shorten the sections between the shifters and the down tube cable stops. They're presently way too long and you could potentially save 15-20g.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

KarlC

by KarlC

liam7020 wrote:It's defo time to flip that stem and use whatever spacers are required to achieve the same bar height as you have now. When you're re-fitting the bars ensure that the flat section of the drops is at least parallel to the ground or, preferably, parallel to the angle of the flipped stem. If that leaves your shifters sitting a tad high then strip the bar tape back and slide the shifters down slightly. Unless you're Sean Yates your current bar angle doesn't look right.

You should also consider trimming your gear cables to shorten the sections between the shifters and the down tube cable stops. They're presently way too long and you could potentially save 15-20g.

Thanks for your input, I will try flipping the stem. I had not thought about trimming the cables, good plan tho, I dont like how long they are.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

istigatrice wrote:Purely cosmetic: flip the stem... (looks better).

liam7020 wrote:It's defo time to flip that stem and use whatever spacers are required to achieve the same bar height as you have now. When you're re-fitting the bars ensure that the flat section of the drops is at least parallel to the ground or, preferably, parallel to the angle of the flipped stem. If that leaves your shifters sitting a tad high then strip the bar tape back and slide the shifters down slightly. Unless you're Sean Yates your current bar angle doesn't look right.

I flipped the stem, wow it looks so much better, I should have done that on day 1.

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12