Summer Crit Whip

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

So I managed to pick up a BMC SLX 01 for a steal, I was after a frame/bike for racing this summer that I wouldn't cry if it was crashed and this was the result. I have always loved the look of these frames but they have held their value up until this one came along. My other considerations were a Cannondale System Six or Caad10 or even possibly a China Carbon or Ti frame. This was a no brainer as the price of the whole package was what most frames I was looking at cost.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up, complete with massive spacer tower. Spec is solid, Sram Force Groupset, 3T Ergonova Pro bars (must be 40s, they are narrow on the hoods) and stem, Selle Italia saddle, Hope Hubs laced to DT Swiss rims and the leyzene cages.

First the spacers were lost and a longer stem installed. As I am racing I wanted, due to liking the feel, a stiff stem. Luckily I had a Pro Vibe Cavendish stem that was perfect for the task. I replaced the cables and gave it a rebuild. I swapped out the hope hoops for a Powertap/White Industries on HED Belgium set up.

This was before I had settled on a good stem position and its a terrible pic but gives you an idea of what it looked like for a little while. It was a solid ride, until a trainer accident broke my rear Derailleur which was replaced with Force again. Then cue an offer on a Power2Max classic that was hard to turn down, so I didn't.

Off came the PowerTap wheels and I put on some Mavic Comsic SLR as well as the Power2Max on Rotor 3D with NoQ rings. I also changed out the cages to Elite Sior's and am now waiting on some Look Keo Blade 2 to change over from Speedplay. Right now just running some old Shimano 105 pedals as a stop gap.

This is it as it stands, Power2Max is easy to install and set up and reads well from my couple of rides with it. I have an annoying 'click' from the rear wheel I need to sort out possibly spoke related? But that's about it for now. Rides very well, is stiff and stable and makes a great sprint machine.

As it is in the pic it weighs 7.6, including a computer mount (Pioneer). Not super light but solid.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Solid build... Where you racing, the title would suggest down under somewhere? :up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Yep doing some local club crits and a bit of track this summer dos under [emoji106] as I build up some fitness after a haphazard year of riding. Very much enjoying the relaxed and friendly racing at my new club.

headwind816

by headwind816

That BMC looks the business.

I had a 2007 SL01, and I thought it was one of the best handling bikes I ever rode.