Marin stelvio di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dofman

by dofman

Hi, I've been lurking the site for a few years now. Figured out I should takes the time to introduce myself and my shitbox. Marin's bike doesn't seems to get any love around, but it is my second and I really like how they ride. I guess being friend with their ex concept store owner kind of help too. I'm not done bulding yet, we had to put it together fast for the season ending after m bike flew off my roof rack on the highway.

7.4kg as it stands right now (including garmin sensors+mount+bottle cages&pedals):

I know, non matching isn't to everyone's taste, but wanted to build something different. Basically:
Marin stelvio 49cm
Shimano ultegra di2 6870
Sella italia SLR flow
Ritchey wcs carbon seatpost
Still waiting for the carbon bar+stem (should be easton ec90)
Mavic R-Sys (wich are quite heavier then their listed weight by almost 100g)
Michelin pro4 sc + vittoria tube
Look keo2+

Looking for suggestions to put the weight down a bit as it seems quite heavy, but I guess there's no miracle with 6870 ... I've weighted almost every components, so might update the list if needed.
It's been built with a FSA pf30 BB with adapters, wheelsmfg makes it all in one piece, but not that much lighter. Is there any other solutions weight/quality/price ?

Old one before it went superman

Thanks.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I see you found the front wheel of your old bike... surprised the tyre is still on the rim..

Check out the Praxis BB30 adapter, from what I hear they're the best in the market
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dofman

by dofman

I was lucky enough to have the pickup truck far enough so he could stop right before the bike but he had no choice to ran over the front wheel. My sportrack broke and the front wheel split from the fork (yakima frontloader), so I managed to stop close enough from him to get everything back.

The praxis BB looks promising, might makes it easier with the internal routing. I do have a fsa slk crankset laying around, and I'm having a hard time to justify the shimano one compared to a proper bb30 crankset. Dont't want to sacrifice any shifting/performance tough, so it will probably stay on.
Also, put the front derailleur clamp on the scale (shimano sm-ad67), and was surprised by it's boat anchor weight (30g). So clearly, I'm sure there's a good weight saving right there. Any idea ?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

You might save 15g or so with a lighter clamp, but IMO those gains would be marginal and the shifting performance won't be as good (less stiff). If you have the cash I've heard good things about the Parlee clamp, which shouldn't compromise shifting too much.

You could save some weight by switching to conti supersonic inner tubes, IIRC those Vittoria tubes aren't light.

Have you weighed your seatpost clamp? there are also marginal gains to be had there. That and Ti bolts onto everything.

Not sure how much weight you'd save with the SLK cranks, but I'd give them a go. If the shifting performance is bad you can try praxis chainrings, which should be on par with your ultegra chainrings.

Also, mind sharing your opinion on the DA c35 wheels vs the R-SYS wheels? Curious as to how they compare to each other. Did you get a chance to weigh the DA wheels?

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

dofman

by dofman

What about a procraft front derailleur clamp ? (PRC CFD1). Not stiff enough for di2 ?
vittoria tubes are 75g each, wich seems to be a good compromise.
On order: seatpost clamp (10g, old one was 24..), mcfk expander with a purely ultralight cap and a point one racing spacer.
Well, the fsa crankset alone is 110g lighter and I'm not sure how much could be saved in the bb area, but I'd guess another 80g.. Don't want to sacrifice any shifting performance though.
Haven't had the chance to try the r-sys before the cold and crappy weather got us, but at 1440g a set, they are not as attractive. Realy liked the c35, front:675, rear:835, without the heavy shimano tape.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

The procraft clamp looks promising. Might be worth posting in the Road forum asking about it before you try it.

75g is heavy for a ww tube :wink: I use them too, they are a good compromise in terms of price/weight, but just be aware there's weight that could be dropped there too.

The Praxis rings should definetly be stiff enough for Di2, not sure about the stock FSA rings, again, something to ask about on the road forum? I've only ever used cheaper FSA cranks (which were shite) so not sure if the more expensive models have better rings. You can always try to get 6700/7900 rings in the right BCD and fit them to your FSA cranks (if you don't want to try the praxis rings)?

Also, on the c35 weights, did you just use standard cloth tape or veloplugs, or no tape for the weight you have posted? If that weight is with standard cloth tape those wheels are much lighter than I thought they were!

What about bartape? If you're using standard cork tape there might also be a bit of weight in that too. The stock shimano brakes are heavy too, but you'd need to spend alot to get lighter brakes which perform just as well (like EEbrakes or something).

dofman

by dofman

I've been fighting with the idea of bulding a light set of chinese tubular carbon wheel, but I guess there's another 50g that could be saved in tubes for the meantime. Any suggestions of brand ?

Praxis ring could be a good compromise, i've heard alot of positive about them. But it's hard to described how good the 6870 shift and i'm not sure i'm willing to sacrifice.

They were 1510g a set without the tape, I was using veloplug wich added about 5g. I'd get another set anyday if i could find another killer deal, very close to be the perfect everyday wheelset imo.

Currently using easton cork tape, but planing to switch to lizard skin 2.5 when the shop will receive my easton bar.
As for brakes, 6800 are a huge improvement over the 6700 I had before (stopping power). Seems like any upgrage are on the expensive side. What about brake cable/housing ?
Pedals aren't light either..

dofman

by dofman

Thank you very much istigatrice, you gave me some pretty good advices so far. I took some times to think about it all and put more parts on the scale. If my spreadsheet isn't too far off, final weight should be a hair under the 6.8kg marks. Currently @ 7.33kg, but still have parts on the shelf.

Here's the plan:
fsa slk crankset > shimano 6800
Stronglight CT2 chainring 36-52
procraft front derailleur clamp > shimano ultegra one
powercordz swift brake system > jagwire
lizard skin 2.5 bar tape > easton tape
continental supersonic tube > vittoria latex tube
Still missing the easton ec90 bars&stem from the shop.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you've got the budget, Gigantex tubular rims have got a great reputation You can get them off Bikehubstore. They are the OEM rim maker for many big brands

Farsports are also building up a reputation, of course they don't have the same reputation as gigantex but they are a bit cheaper.

Pedals aren't light, but you'd have to move to another pedal/cleat interface to get much lighter. If you like the shimano interface I'd leave it.

The rest of the plan looks good :) Make sure you post a pic when you're done.

dofman

by dofman

Got the first batch of parts last week, now i'm only missing powercordz cable&housing and easton ec90 cockpit wich are all already on order. I'm surprised how good the fsa crank looks with the stronglight ct2 chainring compared to the k-force one, had plan to sand it down but will probably leave it as it. Also bought a raceware garmin mount with an integrated di2 junction box mount, wasn't a cheap upgrade.

So that should be all for next season, keeping the wheels upgrade for 2016. But I'm still listening for other ways of dropping weight, chains, cassette, pedals, etc.

dofman

by dofman

I'm having some issue with the Stronglight ct2 chainring I bought from bike24, the chain rubs again the outer one real bad. Swapping the outer one for the FSA k-force fix the rubbing. Seems like I might need the Shimano/FSA/Stronglight one instead, but there's no specs or data anywhere. I can't find any informations on how to tell the difference between the Shimano only and Shimano/FSA/Stronglight, so I don't want to order without knowing for sure it will be right.

Stronglight ct2 inner+outer.

stronglight ct2 inner+fsa k-force outer, clearly not the same offset/spacing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com