New trek build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Jaycee

by Jaycee

Hello I'm new to this forum and also new to cycling. Been browsing for a couple of weeks. A lot of great build here. Want to also share my build.

Trek emonda sl frame
Ultegra 6770 set
Tune saddle
Bontrager xxx handle bar
Bontrager rxl stem
Stan alpha 340 with chris king wheelset
Hutchinson tubeless atom galactik
Kmc chain
Zero gravity brakes
Wellgo pedals - I don't like clipless for some reason. I don't feel comfy being lock into the bike. I don't race so just want to enjoy a nice long ride.

Total weight 6.9

Might upgrade carbon wheels if money permits to lighten a bit. All parts bought from eBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414805771.788323.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414805761.253904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414805743.937491.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414805721.054141.jpg

Roel W

by Roel W

What shoes do you use now?
I don't understand riding such a high end bike without clipless pedals. Just give it a try! Once you're used to it it will give you an advantage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sjc166

by sjc166

I thought you were taking the p1ss about your pedals...then i looked at your photos :?

Its like driving a Ferrari with wheels from a Fiat Punto wheels. Please do this bike some justice and get some clip ins....i'm sure you'll get used to it and see a big improvements in your own riding.

Sweet ride though!

Jaycee

by Jaycee

Thanks for the compliments, I use normal tennis shoes. Any suggestions for clipless for a beginner? The easiest probably to clip out to avoid falling over. I'm afraid if I need to sudden stop will forget to clip out.

PSM

by PSM

You will most lightly fall in the beginning. No matter what. It is part of cycling life. :)

DO IT!

boysa

by boysa

Everyone falls. Don't sweat it.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kac

by kac

Jaycee wrote:Thanks for the compliments, I use normal tennis shoes. Any suggestions for clipless for a beginner? The easiest probably to clip out to avoid falling over. I'm afraid if I need to sudden stop will forget to clip out.

I think that Speedplay style pedals are easiest for the novice user of clipless pedals given their symmetry which permits double-sided entry. Shimano style tend to flip over and can only be clipped in on one side.

ROGUEPNW

by ROGUEPNW

Ive found that speedplays, while the dual sided entry is definitely convenient, tend to require a bit more force to get in and out. But if you can stick with it for a day or two they're great.

Jaycee

by Jaycee

Any recommendations for less force to clip out. It's not clipping in which worry me, it's clipping out. Thanks

fa63

by fa63

I find my Shimano (I have both Dura Ace and Ultegra versions) quite easy to clip in and out of.

Clip in pedals become second nature very quickly. If you have a trainer, you can practice on there before you get out on the road. Otherwise, just start by clipping out way before you get to a stop until you get used it.

That said, as others have already mentioned you will probably fall at some point. It took me a year to fall after I started using them, but it happened in slow motion in front of a whole bunch of people. Just part of cycling :-)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd go with Shimano road pedals. Proper platform and you can adjust the tension to real loose when you get them. Plus, when you fall the first time (and it'll only happen once then you're completely used to it) you will be able to stand and walk surefootedly with the Shimano cleats and not go sliding around and fall again as if you're on a skating rink. :)
And the pedals will go with your group. You'll quickly think "can't believe I never had these before".
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Jaycee

by Jaycee

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I'll take the risk and try to be fitted properly this weekend. I'll share my first fall after. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

+1 on getting a good fit. You might be sitting too upright with the saddle almost level in line with the bars. This places a lot of body weight on the saddle. If the saddle is too low, you can't extend your legs as well. Once you get your fit right, you'll really enjoy this ride!