AX Lightness Vial Evo (4980g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ross

by ross

Those bars look awesome (as does the rest of the build by the way), do you happen to know the reach and drop measurements of them? I checked the manufacturer website and it's not listed

pitbull

by pitbull

danbjpa wrote:- Drop 132mm
- Reach 82mm

find here: https://www.speedwareshop.de/HC-H145-Re ... bon-Lenker

Maybe just read a bit :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Reach and even drop can be a bit subjective to the method of measuring.
The reach is a bit shorter than my 3T Ergonova. It's been stated by others that the reach is a bit longer than the Mcfk (effectively, because the Mcfk has a back-swept top section).
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

ross

by ross

Thanks guys, I emailed Haero and they sent me the tech drawings so for everyone's benefit here are the precise dimensions

Krull

by Krull

jvanv8 wrote:Reach and even drop can be a bit subjective to the method of measuring.
The reach is a bit shorter than my 3T Ergonova. It's been stated by others that the reach is a bit longer than the Mcfk (effectively, because the Mcfk has a back-swept top section).

Hi,
obviously you are right, because the reach should be longer than the ergonova`s, which ist listed with 77 mm.
regards,

derailer

by derailer

This is the most excited I've been about a build in a while. Great stuff, and excellent use of gummy bear!

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Sorry for the delay and thanks for being patient (queue the DHL advert)... but the good news is that the seatpost I ordered on Oct 21st arrived today, Oct... err Dec 3!
Of course it's happy to be here as it staggers about the house, but the month long voyage crossing the Atlantic in the bilge of the DHL Clipper Ship might have been difficult as it appears it was used it as a prosthetic limb. Pirates?

In full glory (well all I could fit of the 400mm in the frame) and a keen eye will note the aforementioned clipper ship. Unclear if it's the same make and model as the one DHL uses.

At 400mm she's a bit heavier and puts the ship a bit below the waterline, but still seaworthy at 126 grams:
My Cycling Blog

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Borrowing some gear from another bike, but decided to swap the rings (both 53-39T):

The weight is obviously less with carbon, but what often gets overlooked is how smooth and quiet the drivetrain is with the Fibre-Lyte rings.

Almost time to power up the Vial Evo:

Last edited by jvanv8 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Cycling Blog

jvanv8

by jvanv8

2 Questions: (I am already leaning towards one side on each, but good to have suggestions or additional reasoning)
- Inline front derailleur adjuster or frame mount on the downtube? Frame adjuster isn't as pretty but may function better with more range of adjustment.
- What wheels? I've nearly decided but it still open to ideas.
My Cycling Blog

thprice

by thprice

jvanv8 wrote:- front derailleur adjuster
Frame mount on the downtube (I find inline ugly and never needed much adjustment when using frame mount)
jvanv8 wrote:- What wheels?
Try the new Extralite Cybefront SL and Cyberrear SL, CX-ray spokes and a carbon tubular rim. Sub 900g should be achievable.

tuba

by tuba

please no cable adjuster on this bike

jvanv8

by jvanv8

thprice, the Extralite build certainly would be light and is similar to what I was thinking. Here's AX's config with that setup:
P 24T E:
Weight 835 g/set
Rims: ax-lightness SRT24, 215 g/piece
Rim depth: 24 mm
Rim width: 21.5 mm (outer)
Hubs: Extralite UltraFront SPM / Ultra Rear SPX Version 2.0
Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite, black

I'm also tempted go with a slightly deeper U profile with the thought that it would reduce drag and increase stiffness to some degree. The other benefit of the 38mm version is the 26mm width (outer) which has been building up popularity of late for aerodynamics and comfort (although to a lesser degree since this is a tubular). Unfortunately there is little aerodynamic data using either of these newly released rims so we can only speculate at this point and extrapolate from similar rim shapes that have been tested.

P 38T E:
Weight: 985 g/set
Rims: Ax-lightness Stream 38, 290 g/piece
Rim depth: 38 mm
Rim width: 26 mm (outer)
Hubs : Extralite UltraFront SPM / Ultra Rear SPX Version 2.0
Spokes DT Swiss Aerolite, black
My Cycling Blog

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Wheels: Corima MCC 1080g and soooo sxsky! 980g for the WINIUM's if you need to go lighter.

thprice

by thprice

jvanv8 wrote:...24 mm ...38 mm
I have similar quandaries. Wish someone would offer a 30mm rim that was ~250g and delivered ~80% of the aero. Definitely a need for a 'mid' range rim.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

How about some Lightweights?? Maximum bling, OK performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com