Wilier Zero7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Refreshing to see a critical review. Very strange however. I'm sure you've compared the setups between the old and new bike. Any ideas what could be cause of the 'giraffe effect'?
Skewers, stem, spacers, handlebar, wheel build, hood position.... all possible suspects.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doyler

by Doyler

Old bike is dead so I can't do a direct comparison. Zero7 has the components from it. It is set up similar to my Cervelo R3 (which handles great). I'll compare again and I am also going to try the fork from the dead Cento Uno as it survived.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

FWIW: One guy I ride regularly with (former pro and now highly ranked amateur) is one of Europe's biggest Wilier dealers and switched from the Zero.7 to the Cento1 SR due to lack of stiffness/stability in the frontend.
He very strongly recommends the 101 SR over the Zero.7 despite earning more $ per frame with the latter.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Doyler

by Doyler

Interesting. I wonder is that avenue open to me. Alas the bike shop from where I bought it has gone out of business. I've left a message with Wilier on the website and on Twitter yesterday/today about it. I hope that I hear back from them. I don't know what other way I can contact them.

RM27

by RM27

As I mentioned in my earlier post I also felt the front end was a bit nervous early on. After adapting to the new bike it feels good to me. One major difference with mine is that my frame is a small size and this may be the reason I don't feel a lack of stiffness. I also transitioned from the previous Zero 7 and could be used to how it handles. I can honestly say I now really like the feel of the bike. I would try some adjustments with set up and see if you can find some improvement before moving on.

I do have one small complaint however. I noticed some areas of chipping of the flat Black paint where the cable guides mount to the down tube and around the bottom bracket. It is not from anything hitting the frame. I would expect better from a frame with this retail price.

aqualelaki

by aqualelaki

I upgrade from Orbea 2010 (size 51) to Zero 7 2015 (small size). The different is so huge to me.
Orbea was heavier (17lbs) and not that stiff. I really like this Zero 7.
I test rode the Cento 1 SR earlier, and I feel that Zero 7 is superior.
But again preferences and feeling is different from one person to another.

Doyler

by Doyler

I'd love if I can get used to it and have the same confidence as normal. It is a beautiful frame.

Doyler

by Doyler

First the bad news... I didn't say earlier, but last Saturday I fell off the thing and broke my wrist (radius actually). It may have nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with the road conditions... greasy, off camber, 90 degree bend and excess speed on my part, but who really knows. It is a corner which I have taken hundreds of times, I know what it is like and how to deal with, but maybe I just got it wrong this time. I've heard tales of many others in my area falling also due to bad road conditions. The good news... well I suppose the good news is that it is not a clean brake and requires no intervention or cast... just time to heal and thankfully not the scaphoid or any of those smaller bones in there. I fell after about 10km but carried on to do another 90, stupid or hard?

Anyway, I have been experimenting with longer expander plugs and shorter stems. I even swapped out the fork to see how that felt. I'm beginning to think that I can get used to it and the feeling is just a characteristic of such a light frame and not something that I can't get used to. I've only taken it around the block as I'm not meant to ride at all for a bit.

I'll see how it goes.

Method01

by Method01

What does expander plugs have to do with it :wink: ?

Doyler

by Doyler

Method01 wrote:What does expander plugs have to do with it :wink: ?

Don't really know but it was suggested that perhaps a longer one might offer some more rigidity or stabilisation. Does it? I don't know! The one I had in it from the start sat right at the top and is 50mm long, then I tried one which sits as far down as I want and is 60mm long. I just thought that I would see how it felt. How did it feel? Beats the hell outta me!

Method01

by Method01

Doyler wrote:
Method01 wrote:What does expander plugs have to do with it :wink: ?

Don't really know but it was suggested that perhaps a longer one might offer some more rigidity or stabilisation. Does it? I don't know! The one I had in it from the start sat right at the top and is 50mm long, then I tried one which sits as far down as I want and is 60mm long. I just thought that I would see how it felt. How did it feel? Beats the hell outta me!

Once the stem is toruqed on to the steerer tube, I don't think the expander plug still has any use.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

get the wrist sorted out. i was looking at the zero 7 for my next bike and i am best at descending, after reading what you've gone through i'll stick to my 2 bmc's!

the bike looked marvelous though... really nice. sounds like a real issue with the front end, though conditions weren't ideal.