Custom steel 'Old Faithful' build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Ever since I got into cycling, I have been a big fan of retro time trial bikes. Particularly retro time trial bikes that have a frame design different from the standard double diamond shape, as dictated by the UCI nowadays. I have been meaning to buy one for a while now, but unfortunately they don't come up for sale very often.

The first unconventional bike I was able to get my hands on in the last couple of moths, was one made by a Pearson. I absolutely loved the way it looked, but unfortunately the frame ended up being too small for me.

After countless hours searching the web for possible options for a build without any results, I decided it was probably best to have a custom frame built. Finding a builder who was willing to do something different, was easier said than done though.

The frame I had in mind, was something similar to Graeme Obree's Old Faithful hour record bike, only fit for use as a regular road bike. Many variations to his design have been made by various builders. A vintage example is the one below by Dutch builder RIH. More recently Cherubim built a more artsy interpretation.

The first builder who was willing to give my idea a shot, was Kajak Custom. The owner, Malik, has done several really nice custom builds so far, so I am confident that he is the right man for the job. You can find some of his work on his Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kajakcustom/.

After sending countless e-mails back and forth discussing which design and tubing would be best for the frame, we settled on 38.1 mm straight 0.9 mm straight gauge tubing for the main tube and the seat tube, and aero chain and seat stays. The frame will be filled brazed together. The frame will feature an integrated seatpost with a Thomson seat clamp. Cable routing will be external, in an effort to keep the main tube as strong as possible.

Here are the first pictures Kamil sent me of the build in progress.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

Nice! But what happened to the Zipp?

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

to see the result!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

No updates on the frame yet. I did pick up a 'donor' bicycle yesterday, a Colnago President. It features one the most beautiful Record groupsets Campagnolo ever made, namely because of its square taper carbon crankset. Aside for a couple of minor scuff marks, the bike was in mint condition, so I was really happy I was able to get it at a good price. I am not sure if the Eurus wheels will look the part, but they will do for the time being.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The front end of the frame is brazed and cleaned. So far so good!

BmanX

by BmanX

I am really looking forward to this build. I love this stuff.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Miller

by Miller

Very interesting project and I wish it well but there's a reason this frame design is rare. Just how flexy will it be?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

It guess it won't be a particularly stiff frame, but I don't expect the flex all too much of a problem. Just in case we spec'd extra strong steel, so I hope that will do the job.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Below are some new pictures of the build.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

After thinking long and hard about the frame design and how it might affect the bottom bracket flex, I decided to add a third tube to the front end in an effort to stiffen up the frame a bit without compromising the overall look of the frame too much.

Below is the updated geometry sheet.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Looks like you have added in some reinforcement at the seat stays as well - or was that always the plan?
This is a fun project. Timeline to complete the frame?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The seat stays were meant to go on from the start. I know the Pearson frame doesn't have any, but I seriously doubt you could built a steel frame without any. It would look very cool though.

By the way, Kamil is also going to build a fork for the frame. He just updated the geometry sheet with the fork added to the mix.

fletch62

by fletch62

This one just sold on a Facebook group in Australia recently.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Nice one! Actually thought about having mine painted black as well.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Kamil brazed the chain stays to the front end and capped them. Next step is to miter the seat stays and braze them to the front end as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com