2015 S-Works Epic World Cup (10,242g)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Been a looooooong time since I posted a build up here. In terms of XC performance and reliability - I think I've hit the mark... this thing is FAST!

9.7 kilo (21.4 lbs)

2015 S-Works Epic World Cup Module
XX1 Drive
Formula R1 Racing brakes
Ritchey WCS Cockpit
Extralite front through axle (Yes, one WW part)
Fizik Braided Gobi
Thunder Burts/Racing Ralphs/Rocket Rons (all 2.1s - I switch based on conditions)
XTR Pedals
Anrdews Mfg King Ti Cages

More pics here
Last edited by Rich_W on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

This replaces my former 2013 Scott Spark 900SL.

Also a top flite XC rig. Lighter weight at 20.4 lbs (w/ pedals).

Slightly slacker head tube angle was nice. Twin lock was also nice... Those Syncros branded DT wheels were poo. I must have broken 10+ spokes in two seasons...

But the S-Works is a faster bike all day long. The inertia valves on the S-Works take some getting used to, but once they are dialed, they are the kill.

More pics of my old rig here

DanW

by DanW

Both bikes look great :thumbup: You can definitely see a trend of what you like to ride :D

What is it that draws you to the Epic over the Spark? Just Sus action or are there are there other big differences worth mentioning for someone in the market for an XC frame?

No reason to change anything at all but there appears scope to lose weight which is always nice (EDIT: while sacrificing nothing in function IMO). Some budget options, maybe not too much total g's to save, I'm not sure....

Spiderless chainring -> Absolute Black 55g
Stem -> KCNC sub 100g
Bars -> New Ultimate or Mt Zoom ~110g
Seatpost? -> Ebay CF 135g
Saddle? -> Depends on limits of your preferences, under 100g
Grips? -> Bontrager X-Lite are nice ~20g
Cages -> I get on with Tune very well, 10g each w/ bolts
Pedals -> Xpedo XMF08TT 215g
Bolt tuning, KCNC jockeys, etc?
Last edited by DanW on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Thanks for the help Dan - While I truly appreciate the feedback - trust me, I've tried lots of stuff. I no longer choose parts based on weight alone. This build is about what works, not what does not.

As for you spec recommendations...

Non xx1 ring... just not as smooth nor quiet. I originally had a Raceface Next SL crank with the one piece ring. Moved that crank to my HT.
Stem - prefer stiffness and strength. I run Ritchey on all my bikes.
Bars - prefer strength
Post - S-works is approx 170g
Saddle - light saddles = discomfort and they break. Discomfort = loss of speed. I have a Gobi 00 @ 145g (broke it in a race)... Same with AX saddle years ago.
Grips - I run ESI race (buy them 6 pairs at a time)
Cages - I had tune cages on a previous build - the weight of the bottle snapped the bottom tabs first ride out and marred that frame.
Pedals - I'll stick with XTR. They work. Between 3 CX bikes and 4 MTBs... I use XTR across the board.
Bolts - nope
Jockey Wheels? Hahaha

mattyNor

by mattyNor

^that made me smile, good on you!

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Very nice builds you have there! Maybe the final weight reduction would be to give carbon tubulars a go? :)

Rich_W

by Rich_W

hjb1000 wrote:Very nice builds you have there! Maybe the final weight reduction would be to give carbon tubulars a go? :)

Now You're talkin! Would love a set of light tubs w/ Dugast rubber! Courses here are pretty rocky though.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

*Like* :thumbup:

Thanks John! Gotta tell Ya I am enjoying this bike. Spent 7 hours aboard it this weekend! It absolutely shreds and conditions were spectacular blue sky fall weather here in Jersey.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Great build!

stuka666

by stuka666

Rich_W wrote: Non xx1 ring... just not as smooth nor quiet. I originally had a Raceface Next SL crank with the one piece ring. Moved that crank to my HT.

Have you tried the absolut black one? I'm going to need a new chainring soon and it's on the top of my list..

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Nope - when in doubt - ride stock parts. They work better. My drivetrain is all XX1.

Also, update on Forumla 1 piece rotors - they squeal like a stuck pig...

Swapped some Avid 2-piece rotors I had laying around they they are working awesome and thankfully silent.

Formula sent me some sintered pads to try with the one piece rotors... going to try this weekend.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I'm totally ignorant about the epic suspension system...what's the function of that little cardridge sticking out on the read end seatstay ? Is that the 'inertia valves' that you are referring too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/technology/brain

Rich, nice build! The last one looked pretty good too, just sucks about the wheels. Almost a shame you didn't run it with some different wheels because the DT Swiss rubbish is really letting Scott's range down. Sounds like you're very happy with what you've ended up with though :beerchug:
Last edited by wingguy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Very interesting...of course I want to try this brain stuff now. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Brain suspension does take some getting used to. You're constantly feeling the valves clicking open and closed which is kinda annoying.

The Scott in comparison with standard suspension has a much more plush ride (for an XC bike). The S-Works has a more efficient ride.

You can run the valves full open for that plush feeling, but you quickly realize the full efficiency really helps your speed, especially climbing.

I do find myself sometimes opening for fork manually at the crown for technical downhills.

If there was one thing I wish I could change about the bike - I wish the steering angle was a tad more relaxed.