So I was fiddling with my bike a month ago and realised why my front shifting was so heavy. The cable was rubbing against the exit hole causing a lot of friction. Despite a couple of hours trying to solve the issue, I thought this was a good excuse to upgrade to Di2 and move the mechanical ultegra down to the winter bike as that's groupset is on the way out.
Parts and weights (sorry for bad pictures):
Short cage RD 6870, 258g
FD 6870, 139g
6870 shifters, 305g
3 port junction A box + mount (without mounting band), 10g
instruction manual for junction A, 31g. Always good when the manual is heavier than the part
Junction B box, 4g
My frame was designed to use an external batter mounted under the NDS chainstay. I wan't keen on this so I cose an internal battery and put it in the seatpost.
internal battery, 51g
However, the frame uses an aero post so I wasn't able to use the mounting hardware supplied with the battery. I had half a roll of bar tape from taping my aerobars so I wrapped the battery with the the tape and wedged (more like screwed) the battery into the post. It was a very snug fit and I wasn't able to yank it back out so hopefully it will hold.
saddle, post and battery, 460g. so 8g of bar tape used
end of the battery still poking out. You can see how the tape has wedged it in.
Next up was the junction box. Since I though the band is fairly primitive and I am happy with my set-up, I decided to glue the junction box to the stem. I used the band to hold the clip in place as the glue set. (really bad picture
and the finished look
The only other modification I did was cut off the cable stop off the cable guides to allow the Di2 cable to be routed internally through them (and save 0.5g probably
), I forgot to take pictures but could do some if people want to see.
I am still waiting for my new handlebars to arrive so I will post more pictures when they are installed and the bike is finished