Specialized S-Works E5 Budget Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

woodster

by woodster

After realising there's enjoyment to be had from road riding, I decided to build a proper bike. Always loved these Alu S-works frames, so when I got a nice one cheaply I had to build it up. Original bike budget was £500 with a weight target of 8kg without any aesthetic/durability/performance compromises. I ended up spending £800, but I'm glad I did. Weight is somewhere around 7.5kg, but I'd like a lighter and better looking for, so I'd appreciate ideas on a budget friendly replacement. I'm really enjoying the ride, nice and stiff with great acceleration and it definitely feels like the deep wheels help a little.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Spec

Frame: Specialized S-works E5 Road
Fork: ITM 4Ever
Headset: FSA
Seatpost clamp: Specialized
Seatpost USE Alien Cyclops
Seat San Marco Caymano Racing Replica
Stem Deda Zero100 120mm
Bar Giant Contact SLR 44cm
Bartape Cinelli Caleido
Bottle cages and hardware: Elite Custom Race, Token Bolts
Outer Cables: Campagnolo
Inner Cables: Campagnolo
Brakes: Sram Force 22
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Daytona, KCNC clamp
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Daytona 10 speed
Crankset: Sram Force 53/39 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP
Chainrings: Sram
Chainring bolts: Sram
Chain: KMC X10 SL
Shifters: Campagnolo Veloce
Cassette: Campagnolo Chorus 12-25, Token lock-ring
Wheels: Carbotech T50 light
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX II 21mm
Pedals: Exustar PM 25 with Ti axles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Love this - I've been riding/racing on the same frame now too after going back to aluminum from carbon. Those Spec E5 are seriously great frames, I'll post mine later.

The only thing I could think of to lighten yours up being relatively budget-minded would maybe be going to a different crank setup, perhaps an older 10-speed Campag Record UT? Also, think about different pedal setup, those SPDs are anchors.

jooo

by jooo

The ITM fork is fairly heavy right? You can probably save a decent amount of weight on the fork without spending too much, especially if you're willing to hunt around for something on sale/2nd hand/NOS etc.

There are options to inexpensively save some weight with the saddle but that comes down to personal preference I guess. Lots of people are happy riding stripped Flites/SLR's etc and it's free. Maybe that could be an option? Or a cheap carbon saddle?

An UNO Ultralight stem with Ti bolts should be lighter than your current Deda.

Fouriers/PlanetX/Token brakes could save a decent bit of weight over the Force brakes. Some people aren't a huge fan of the feeling of single pivot brakes though.

It's not super cheap, but a Red Exogram crank could save you a bit of weight and work with your existing BB.
Last edited by jooo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Those wheels look sensational.

woodster

by woodster

LittleSprinter- Cheers! I'd definitely like to see yours. Record cranks would be a good option I think, is Record the sweet spot for value/weight in terms of Campy carbon cranks? I like the pedals, these aren't too heavy and I hate walking in road shoes.

jooo- Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, the fork is 530g trimmed and bare so I reckon theres an easy 150g to come off. I am checking eBay for something suitable, but nothing much appears with a long enough steerer (I need about 250mm). I had an SLR on my old bike and didn't get on with it, but the San Marco isn't perfect either so it'll probably get changed. Stem wise I'm thinking about lowering the front end so really want to try something 17 degree+. I like the Force brakes too much to change them, Red Exogram does seem to offer a decent weight saving over the force, so I'll keep it in mind.

Valbrona- Thanks, they definitely blew the budget a bit, but I'm very pleased with them. I'd prefer them if the graphics were a bit more subtle though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Always liked those red E5 s-works....but the best version was in zebra :D