Scott Addicted

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cybernck

by cybernck

Scott Addicted
2014 Scott Addict - Unplanned but in hand and manned.

This is the very first new bicycle I've ever bought, not counting my first MTB back in 1992,
that I got as a birthday present. In fact, I haven't bought a complete bike of any kind since
my Mountain Cycle MOHO back in 1999! The reason for a change in practice and a completely
unplanned purchase - a friend of mine, who was buying a groupset and wheels off of my
Scott CybeR1, cunningly managed to sway me towards selling him a complete bike!
Therefore, lo and behold - meet a bog-standard 2014 Scott Addict 20.

Image Image

2014 Scott Addict 20 - The latest Scott's racing machine - purchased at Planet Bike Belgrade.
This is the entry level model Addict, with lower grade HMF grade carbon fibre frameset
(as compared to flagship HMX), specced with 10-speed components but otherwise the same
as the next model up - 11-speed Ultegra equipped Addict 10.

A mix of 6700 Ultegra and 5700 105 groups and RS11 wheelset - not bad for a start and easy
to upgrade in the future... But that "ain't gonna cut it" for me, so the bike was destined
to be taken apart the very next day after purchase, as I had only bought it for its frameset 3:).

16/Jul/2014 - The day of the build. Well - tear-down and build-up.

Now we're talking! This is how I prefer my bikes - built up from framesets! Since I've built
a few new bikes (or should I say - Scott bikes) in recent years, you could say that I am addicted
to it - so I thought this would be a perfect name for this Scott Addict project: "Addicted".

Let's get down to business - Scott Addict HMF bare frame weight = 946 grams in size L/56
(pictured with press-fit BB installed @ 1019 g). I was hoping and expecting greater weight
savings over my (exceptionally light) CR1 frame than only 19 g![/img]

However, a few grams here and there and the total weight savings for a functional frameset
came up to 107 grams in favour of Addict vs CR1. To keep this already-long post short,
you can check the details about that in the gallery.

To be continued...

Full-size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/addicted

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Congrats! Me likey some Addict. Hope you enjoy it.

I liked the pic of you riding two bikes at once. Nice one.

Tell us how your outgoing CR1 compares on the road to your new Addict. Inquiring minds want to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cybernck

by cybernck

Here's a more-or-less complete and brand new Dura Ace 7900 groupset. I decided to stick with
10-speed for compatibility reasons. As this story is presented retroactively, I can say that
I'm amazed with DA. STI's are so light and precise, especially on up-shifts, brakes are amazing
and the carbon pedals make for noticeably easier spinning! I prefer Ultegra's front derailleur
action over DA's though.

You can check the detailed weight info and comparison with Ultegra parts in my gallery.

Having some fun - after disc brakes, will this be the next big thing in road cycling? :-)

And here it is, all built up together with my PRO Vibe 7s 130 mm stem, PRO Vibe 7s 44 cm handlebar
and Fizik Arione CX Braided saddle (591 g for the three), 6700 Ultegra wheelset with Continental
GP4000 tyres (2414 g for the set), cables and grease. The total weight is 7250 grams - which makes
it exactly 400 grams lighter than my ex-CR1.

Image Image

The frameset is very stiff due to tapered head tube, wide bottom bracket and no shock dampening
in the forks. It accelerates fantastically (especially on climbs) - and amplifies the excellent
Dura Ace anchors. However, it comes with a penalty - the ride is rather harsh compared to CR1's,
it feels as if the tyres have 2.5-3 bars more pressure in them and the chainslap occurs regularly
on small rear cogs over bumps, due to the rear fork design (and I hate chainslap with passion).

On the other hand - the handling... oh, the handling! I know that the previous Addict has been
praised for it but I am blown away now I have experienced it myself. It feels so positive and
planted in the corners, while combined with super-sharp steering it makes for an outstanding
ride and easily overshadows the downsides of this race-oriented frameset.

Image Image

To recap - it has taken me some time to get used to riding the Addict, as it's nothing like CR1's
"magic carpet" ride, but now I have, I find it very rewarding and don't look back. Dura Ace groupset
is also a vast improvement over Ultegra and plays a great role in the grand scheme of things.
Now if I could only get rid of the chainslap...

Full-size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/addicted?page=2

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Nice review, nice to read the difference from the CR1 in your mind
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Krull

by Krull

Hi,
very nice "no-nonsense"-build, love it!
thanks for the interesting, objective review, without the common "fanboy"-eruptions. :)

yellow bartape looks good (accidentally just put fizik fluo yellow on my bike. but next time, i will prefer yellow without "fluo")
good ride,

ecg

by ecg

Great review.

I was thinking about getting the addict, but ended up getting a BH.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

very nice bike! I love it :-) good for you for not listening to pepole that say to buy 11 speed beacouse it's new and that it's the future.
I'm also building a bike with 10 speed now becouse I want it to fit all my wheels. I hope you will enjoy your bike ;-)

cybernck

by cybernck

Here's a temporary upgrade, in the form of Mavic R-Sys fancy-pants lightweight wheelset with
carbon spokes. The front wheel weighs 589 g while the rear one tips the scales at 814 grams.

Image Image Image

Continental Supersonic ultra-light inner tyres for minimum rotational mass, at only 50 g each!
And finally, to maximize the weight saving - a set of KCNC quick-release skewers, weighing only
45 g for the pair.

Image Image

In total, this wheelset shaved exactly 450 grams off of the bike, as compared to Ultegra setup,
totaling at 6800 grams - which happens to be on the bring of the UCI 6.8 kg weight limit :-).
Strangely, I like the contrast of the silver rims against the matte black frameset.

Image Image

A photo with my lightest bike so far, while I could - as I had afterwards sold the Mavic R-Sys
wheelset together with my ex Scott CR1.

Full-size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/addicted?page=3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com