The Building of a S-Works Crux Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bfno

by bfno

frenchie wrote:
bfno wrote:Its a 56.

I noticed you ride a 54 Venge. I have a 56 allez and am deciding between a 56 and 58 crux. Do the cruxs run that differently in size?

Sorry for slow reply. The venge is a 54 but I am running a 130 stem on it now to get the long and low position. Probably should be running a 56 on the venge though. The crux is a 56 which will allow me to run a shorter stem for more control and what not.

More parts have arrived! Sorry for a very slow build!!

CVNDSH S-Works Toupe Saddle: 157g
CVNDSH bartape: 191g
CVNDSH bar plugs: 29g pair
Shimano RS785 disc brakes (the 2015 version): 129g ea
Shimano Ultegra Di2 RD Med cage: 265g
Shimano R785 shifters: 508g pair
Shimano Saint RT99 rotor: 103g ea

Will post pics later! Still need a couple more bits but should be here by christmas (sorry again for slow build!)
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

Ordinaybikes
Shop Owner

by Ordinaybikes

In for more pics and to see the finished product!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

What are you hoping for final weight?
I just built same bike but canti and it is 16.5.

bfno

by bfno

It won't be super light to start with with super heavy magic aksium discs which are something like 1.8kg. The Shimano hydro was heavier than I had anticipated tbh but I'm not to fussed. Once I chuck some carbon wheels on I'm hoping in the 7's kg

boots2000

by boots2000

I just finished my S-works crux canti.
I was 7.6 kg with 9000 build.
Might be difficult to get a disc bike under 8 kg without super light tubulars.

boots2000

by boots2000

I just finished my S-works crux canti.

mitchy

by mitchy

boots2000 wrote:I just finished my S-works crux canti.

my disc cx is 7.3 ;)

nice build though!

bfno

by bfno

Yes as parts arrive and I put them on the scale my dreams of a sub 8 are fading. Oh well we'll see what I can do, hopefully getting some Enve XC wheels or Zipp 202 or 303 disc for the final build.

Another question if anyone knows the answer. I have hit a problem, I have a S-Works Crank and a 110 spider that I want to mount a Rotor QCX1 ring on, but the carbon spider uses proprietary oversized bolts. How can I run a single chainring on this? Is there some way around this or is there someone that makes narrower bolts that suit this proprietary size? Do Specialized sell them? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
bfno

Ordinaybikes
Shop Owner

by Ordinaybikes

Did you ever finish this build?

bfno

by bfno

Yes a while back, sorry for not posting pics. I am away from the bike at the moment but when I'm with it next Ill get some pictures.

bfno

by bfno

Sorry for taking so long for the photos. She's a beauty, haven't put her on the scales yet but my guess would be about 8000g with heavy Aksiums.

stormur

by stormur

Weight… in dreams only :mrgreen:

I'll bet 8.7-9 kg … Even closer to 9 kg. Crux frameset is heavy ( even in comparison to way cheaper frames ) plus disc plus Aksium plus Ultegra plus CG_R …. 8kg is not gonna happened. Sorry.

It could happened with Sram Red/ Campagnolo Record, 1400g-1500g wheelset, tubeless with light tires ( hutchinson, michelin ) , 150g instead of 260g seatpost ( not good idea with that sloping ) , mechanical brakeset + light rotors , narrow cassette… and titanium bolts everywhere.

I saw somewhere 2 frames weighted : S Works Disc size 54 with Ultegra had higher weight than Crux E5 alu with Red - exc frame , drivetrain , brake and wheels all components exactly same. Alu Crux was close to 9kg.

Difference between same S-Works Crux canti vs disc is 800g... :welcome:

FME Crux feels … long. Longer than size indicates. Even for Specialized, so be rather carefull comparing Crux sizing to Tarmac.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bfno

by bfno

Haha yeah weight is anyones guess, the only bike of mine I know the weight of is my 6.1kg Venge with LW's.

The frame weight I wasn't too disappointed with, weighing in at 1037g for the frame and a rather hefty 548g for the fork. I was a bit dissapointed with the weight of the R785, but Ill take the weight penalty any day for such smooth braking and crisp shifting. Wheels were always going to be heavy as I am still looking for some nice carbon tubs to put on which should wipe off maybe as much as half a kg. The only other Crux I have found online with a weight was a non-S-Works disc with ENVE tubs and CX1 which was 7.3kg.

I guess Ill have to chuck it on the scales tomorrow then!