Trek Emonda SLR custom build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sedluk

by sedluk

The Emonda SLR looks like a nice bike.

For a weight weenie bike it has a couple disadvantages. The biggest in my opinion is the bottom bracket choice. You are limited in your choice of crank, sure, you can put a Dura-Ace or SRAM red crank on the bike. That is great, but most weight weenies want one of the lighter crank choices and now you have to make up for lost ground as far as weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wkwt

by wkwt

My post here will have some weights and pics of the SLR:
viewtopic.php?t=127604
Trek Emonda SLR

I use the Bontrager Speed Stop brakes on my build and they are excellent. Snappy, good modulation, good design, stylish. They are expensive at $360 for a pair, but I like streamlining brands. I've used the original Bontrager Madone DM brakes in the past and those felt and looked terrible; there is no comparison to be made. The SS is made by TRP.

Congrats on your order; you made the right choice!

viratelle

by viratelle

Have decided to reward the original designer of the brakes, EECW...Have the first version on my SSHM and they are fantastic...

Otherwise, will go Schmolke, Extralite, Powercordz, TP and Tune for the light parts...

And yes, the major drawback was to have to buy the heavy Sram red22 crank...BB90 sucks...

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Lightning cranks should work.
Speedplay is the devil!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

The Sram Red 10S crank is actually pretty light except for the chain rings - change to Praxis or TA and you will be golden.

Unless the 11 speed (Red22) crank is significantly heavier????

viratelle

by viratelle

I have opted for the octaramp RC2 rather than praxis (have very limited success with the praxis)...

wojchiech

by wojchiech

mdeth1313 wrote:Lightning cranks should work.

I actually contacted Jason at Fairwheel about running a Lightning crank on my SLR, and he recommended that while they are available as BB90, the BB bearings suffer from pre-mature wear because of the smaller than average bearings (even smaller than BSA 24mm spindle crank BB's). I did the math and the weight difference between Lightning and DA9000 cranks is less than 150g. I'm not building mine up super-weenie-at-all-costs, so I'm fine with a weight penalty on major components in exchange for reliability.

deek

by deek

Gearjunkie wrote:The Sram Red 10S crank is actually pretty light except for the chain rings - change to Praxis or TA and you will be golden.

Unless the 11 speed (Red22) crank is significantly heavier????

The Red GXP crank is pretty light but the BB30 crank is super duper light. GXP is required for BB90.

lilearl75

by lilearl75

Had a slight change of specs. The guy I was ordering my American classic road tubeless from offered me the Argent 30 mm wheels for less money. Hard to pass up considering they retail for $50 more and they're still sub 1400 gram wheels and more aero.

lilearl75

by lilearl75

I've gotten in a few parts so far. Sram gruppo is in. Ordered a KMC X11sl DLC chain should be in tomorrow. Wheels came in they weight 1360 grams. Tires weighed 247-248 a piece. I ended up getting a Fizik Kurve saddle and it weighed in at 230 grams. I mostly just need a FRAME!!!!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What's the ETA on the frame? Has the delivery time changed at all?

arrownotindian

by arrownotindian

Good luck on the build. My SLR 8 arrived yesterday. It is a fantastic bike and worth every penny.

highdraw

by highdraw

Any pics or a mini review arrow?

arrownotindian

by arrownotindian

Put up a mini review this morning, check it out. No idea how to post pics.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128340

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

viratelle

by viratelle

ETA still same...Nov 1st for me...