Baum Corretto - Build Advice

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Rush

by Rush

Rush wrote:I've had a Corretto for over a year. I got a standard external headset. I use a 130mm 3T Team stem, Ergonova handlebars and Enve 2.0 Fork. Front end feels fantastic on fast bumpy descents...but the only bike I can compare it to is my old steel bike with a 1" fork and quill stem...so you'd hope it felt better!

I chose PF30 mainly for future proofing. It gives you a wider range of cranksets as you can always fill a hole with spacers/adaptors but you can't make a threaded bottom bracket larger. I run a SRAM BB30 crankset. It's possibly the one regret I have with the bike as it does sometimes squeak/click when I'm out of the saddle...although the noise is sometimes related to my lightweight rear skewers (KCNC Ti). Sometimes on a climb I'll stop and and reclamp the rear skewer and it will go away. I've greased the drop-outs and have occasionally swapped an old closed cam Shimano skewer but that's another thread topic.

The other thing I'm not mad about is that PF30 bearings require regular maintenance (so does Hollowtech for that matter). I'm savvy enough to take apart the crankset and regrease the bearings myself but you wonder if doing this regularly makes it more prone to squeaking/clicking having to disassemble/reassemble the crankset at regular intervals. My old Shimano 6400 Ultegra sealed square taper bottom bracket is still turning after 20 years and has never needed maintenance. Progress?

I note that Baum no longer advertise PF30 on their website.

Update. I got my PF30 bottom bracket replaced in November last year by Dan at Shifter Bikes in Melbourne. When Dan re-installed my crankset he suggested not to use the wave washer as he felt that it gave to much pre-load for new bearings. He said that I might need it when the bearings are worn and develop a bit of lateral play. He also suggested that newer BB30 crankets with adjustable collars are much better than older cranks with wave washers.

In any case I've done almost 3,000 km on the bike since then in all weather conditions and the bike is completely silent. I also replaced the KNC Ti skewers with 7900 Dura Ace skewers are while back.

Kudos to Dan and Darren.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com