Baum Corretto - Build Advice

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

I don't have a Baum, but I have a Seven Elium with the standard 1 1/8" headtube and BSA bottom bracket. I am quite a bit larger than you, and I have never found either the front end or the BB lacking in stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

haydos

by haydos

I'll preface this by saying I have worked for Baum in sales and bike fitting among other things...

I honestly would just tell Darren / Ryan what handling characteristics you are after and leave the details to them. That's what you're paying for, not just Baum's experience in building a great bike, but a bike that suits your riding style.

Remember a bike is full of compromises and certain decisions affect other things, it's about getting the balance right for you.

It's easy to say you want a stiff front end for descending and a comfy rear end for rough roads but understanding how to get both working in sync in a balanced way is what separates a good builder to a great one.

What groupset are you going to use? If Shimano or std Campag I wouldn't bother with PF30... Only if you want Sram should you consider it IMO.
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

dcj9

by dcj9

...what haydos says, plus you can have enve forks in other offsets than 43mm, like 45mm etc

morrisond

by morrisond

I'll second all the advice above and BTW I'm thinking of getting a Baum - On a good day I'm around 100-110kg and the Normal Headtube (Baum's is not normal - it's extensively machined/engineered) and BSA BB are more than enough stiffness even for Pro's. The ENVE 1.0 has more than enough Stiffness as well.

Having just built a Custom Ti by another nameless builder/lbs with 44mm Headtube and a Rigida LTD - I'll second the thought on the overall Tube Selection/Size is the critical design Choice. Mine ended up being almost Unrideable. The rear end is 1" Chain Stays (Non-Butted and it turns out too short) with 19mm SS (Non-Butted) into an ISP with a Fully butted OS Front Triangle (44 DT, 38 TT).

Consequently the front end is very stiff, the rear end transmits all the Vibration through the rear end into your Butt and the Connection between the two isn't so great - It's not Noodly but not that stiff.

I asked for STORCK like stiffness with the Ride of Ti. My Original thought would have been Straight CS and DT with everything else butted but I was talked out of it by the Builder and my LBS. What I still don't get is that I specked 405mm CS which I thought would have been enough to get 25mm Tires in a my STORCK was 399 with the same size ST and ST angle - however a 25 rubs the ST on a narrow rim. The BB is lower on the Ti by I think 5mm but this should have only ate up 3mm of space between the tire ST - there was an extra 6mm to play with.

The write up's on the RIGIDA is that it's a little floppy but actually really isn't.

If I was to build a BAUM it would probably be fully butted except for the DT and I would use the ENVE 1.0 Fork - The ENVE carbon stuff just feels like it transmits less vibration - it almost feels soft but still really stiff.

I have a 2.0 on a lugged 853 Steel Bike I built with a normal HT and BSA BB and the stiffness is more than adequate - almost Storck like but a lot better ride.

I hope this helps.

morrisond

by morrisond

It was supposed to be a Bike for short quick rides to get away from the wife and Kids so I wanted Storck like responsiveness.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I am the happy owner of a Corretto - now over 2.5 years old. I would concur with the advice above that you should sit down with Darren and give him e a good brief - the sort of riding you want to do, what your preferred components are and possibly what aesthetic style you like and he will create the bike. I went to Darren with a reasonably firm idea of what I wanted based on my existing WW carbon bikes but during the discussion with Darren I realised that I was possibly going to miss out on all the benefits of Darren's experience and using Ti if I tried to prescribe the solution I wanted - particularly when my only previous experience was on carbon bikes. In the end I gave him a brief to work to and now my carbon bikes are gathering dust and my Baum is the bike I measure other bikes by. It might be a bit heavier than my carbon bikes but it is certainly more enjoyable and in some directions a lot faster.
Enjoy the process and the outcome
Look forward to seeing the outcome.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Rush

by Rush

I've had a Corretto for over a year. I got a standard external headset. I use a 130mm 3T Team stem, Ergonova handlebars and Enve 2.0 Fork. Front end feels fantastic on fast bumpy descents...but the only bike I can compare it to is my old steel bike with a 1" fork and quill stem...so you'd hope it felt better!

I chose PF30 mainly for future proofing. It gives you a wider range of cranksets as you can always fill a hole with spacers/adaptors but you can't make a threaded bottom bracket larger. I run a SRAM BB30 crankset. It's possibly the one regret I have with the bike as it does sometimes squeak/click when I'm out of the saddle...although the noise is sometimes related to my lightweight rear skewers (KCNC Ti). Sometimes on a climb I'll stop and and reclamp the rear skewer and it will go away. I've greased the drop-outs and have occasionally swapped an old closed cam Shimano skewer but that's another thread topic.

The other thing I'm not mad about is that PF30 bearings require regular maintenance (so does Hollowtech for that matter). I'm savvy enough to take apart the crankset and regrease the bearings myself but you wonder if doing this regularly makes it more prone to squeaking/clicking having to disassemble/reassemble the crankset at regular intervals. My old Shimano 6400 Ultegra sealed square taper bottom bracket is still turning after 20 years and has never needed maintenance. Progress?

I note that Baum no longer advertise PF30 on their website.

boots2000

by boots2000

At your height and weight I suggest 11/8 headset- unless you want the frame to be carbon like in ride quality.
I would not touch a PF30/BB30 with a 10 foot pole. You talk about future proofing- going with threaded bb is noise proofing!
You are correct that tubing choices will result in the ride that you seek- especially 1" chainstays.
I am on my 2nd version of custom ti- 1st version had 44mm headtube and Enve tapered fork. I thought it was too stiff for me (you and I are similar size though I am more diesel than high power). 2nd version had lighter gauge tubing and also 11/8 headset- it is perfect for me. I am considering a matching cross/gravel bike.

fa63

by fa63

I would go with the 2.0, given that you are not going after a super lightweight bike.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

j1mm wrote:Though I cannot release the actual numbers

Because you don't have them and that is their interpretation?

Or they provided them and that is your interpretation of them?

boots2000

by boots2000

I have an Enve 1.0 on my 11/8 Eriksen and it is fine.
I weigh 64-65 kg.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I assume this is primarily a ride characteristic question - I am sure Darren will have an opinion and I would follow it.
I used to weigh 100Kg+ - I have had an enve 1.0 on my BMC for several years - works fine even for that weight.
For my Baum Darren recommended a 2.0 untapered - even though my brief was for a comfortable long-distance rider and were selecting some smaller/thinner tubesets for the frame (ie not looking for ultra stiffness) - his recommendation worked perfectly - not rigid and yet precise for technical descents - in conjunction with the frame geometry.
As a Campy driver it was traditional threaded BB for me.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Sailinbum

by Sailinbum

I have an Enve 2.0, am 65kg and a Very aggressive racer and it is plenty stiff for me and the bike. Notably stiffer than my plastic frames and other carbon forks from Wilier, Soecialized and Seven.

bencolem

by bencolem

I had a PF30 and straight enve 2.0 on my cubano. Never had any issues with the BB (ran a Rotor crank). Although it was spec'd for racing it never felt that stiff - definitely more of a comfort distance bike. It absolutely floated over the road (on LW Ventoux's) but really wasn't a stiff, punchy race bike. I had a dogma at the same time and the difference was night and day. I'll have a root around for a picture and post one for you.
Last edited by bencolem on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bencolem

by bencolem

Found a pic!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com