Retro/Modern Pinarello Prince SL project/Tune/Campy/ENVE/3T

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

So I wanted an alloy bike project to fiddle with a few months ago and focused my attention on Italian bikes. I'd never had a Campy group before so I dipped a toe, so to speak from a financial sense, with Chorus 11. I looked mostly at De Rosa, Pinarello and Colnago but finding a decent example in a geo close to what I needed was much harder than I thought.

Ended up finding this 59cm Prince SL in NYC with the story being the seller bought it off the orig owner who brought it over from Germany some years ago. Even had the old German shops decal on the seat tube.

I knew I wanted a polished look to go with the mostly carbon bits. To keep it Italian I went with 3T bars and post (Pro stem for the 10 degrees I needed). I'm an ENVE guy on most of my other bikes and although Campy wheels would work best I already have 3.4 tubulars, 6.7 clinchers and 45 classic tubulars so didn't really want to "fully commit" to the Italian vibe when I feel so strongly about ENVE. The Tune saddle was from a trade with a member here and I actually love it. Shape is perfect for me.

I'll post a few pics:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

few more pics and weights (note, walnut blasting and polishing removed over 150g from the frame......1299g after it all):

The 15lbs 3oz is with the 3.4 Tubulars and the 15lbs 13oz is 6.7 clinchers. Honestly, thats lighter than I thought it would be and I'm semi questioning it. Zero'd the scale and re-weighed several times though, and its a scale I've used several times, so who knows?

Campy is......different. Love the front shifting, dont love the thumb shifting in a "spirited" effort. The bike handles really really good. I now have 300~ miles or so and its really fun.

The fit is still a tad off because of the integrated dust cover/headset spacer. I didn't know that the frame didn't have a traditional Campy style headset and had planned on fully slamming the stem to get to my prefered drop. As it is, its about a CM too tall. I have a machinist friend whos going to cut down a spare one I just got from a friend.

I'm rambling....

Elrey

by Elrey

Change the fork, and BOOM!

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Great project!!!! :thumbup:

Sorry if I missed it while reading, but with what did you protect the polished surface of the frame and stem?
Thanks very much!

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

Nice! Classic and modern at the same time!
Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

@Elrey is the Onda fork an issue with these bikes? Seems to ride really well so far.

@majklnajt I've left it untreated so far. The decals are obvioulsy minimal and I have 5 extra sets. My thinking was I would do "touch up" polishing as needed and then re-decal.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing technically wrong with the fork. You either like the curvy Onda style or you don't. It does nothing for the ride, it's just a branding gimmick. I think most would say it's kinda ugly, but something that's just part of Pinarellos branding.

It's an aluminum frame right? I would think that untreated it will oxidize fairly rapidly.

I like the photos, but what is up with the weld between the top tube and the seat cluster. I presume you've polished it out so the beads don't show, trying to achieve a filet brazed steel look? As it is, it looks like putty was just sloppily squeezed along the joint. The front end weld between the top tube and the headtube looks much cleaner.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

@Calnago, ah, yeah I don't mind the Onda and I doubt you see me defend it much as this is just a fun project and I have zero Pinarello brand loyalty.

Aluminum (well, "scandium"...), yes, but again, I have provisions in place if oxidation does become an issue. As it sits it'll get a handfull of rides a year as its one of way too many bikes.

On the weld, thats just the way it came from Pinarello I presume as my polisher gave the same process to all the welded areas. He wasn't asked to try and achieve any look, just "mirror polish this frame".

kgt

by kgt

That is an amazing bike!
An (almost) perfect build. 1299gr for an alu frame of this size is as low as it gets.

micky

by micky

Love it!

dogg

by dogg

pretty cool. looks super weird with a 0 setback post and that saddle but nice build nonetheless

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

In looking at the geo I assumed (wrongly) that I'd need a zero setback post. I didn't build the bike up before hand. Just received the frame and ordered the parts. So when it came together there were a few minor surprises like that.

Live and learn.

Stefano

by Stefano

I always thought that polishing was protective-- like it made the surface hard and resistant to corrosion or something like that. Regardless, I have some old (non-anodized) polished bits on my '76 steel bike that are still pretty shiny

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

American Airlines ran polished 737 for years (until only recently) to save weight. All they did was polish them once in a while. I know it was quite expensive to maintain though - but polished looked awesome.

Oh, sweeeeet ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Thank Johnny.