My WW Cervelo S5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ictus

by ictus

Hello,

A few weeks ago I got myself the Cervelo S5 Ultegra with Fulcrum 3.5 wheels. I was given a great deal by the LBS of 1k off! Even so I almost went with the Felt AR4 and rode both bikes at least 15 times each before finally deciding on the S5. In the 'stock' config the bike was around 17.1 lbs.

I am new to the world of weight-weenies. In practical terms, bike weight is not a huge deal to me. My daily rider for a while has been a Giant Anyroad 1. At 24lbs it is not even close to light and I like it fine the way it is; however, I have been having fun upgrading my Cervelo S5 and making it lighter.

I will state right out of the gate that I am doing this mostly for my own amusement; I fully understand that any 'performance gains' from lowering weight (beyond a 'decent' weight) would be measured in numbers that round to zero... (aka virtually meaningless to a hobbyist like myself). Still, I find it exciting subbing out new parts on the bike and getting that number down and then taking the bike for a spin and feeling how "zippy" it is. And I fully admit that some parts are chosen as much for the look as the performance. And I am not interested in parts that are so light that they sacrifice performance (within reason!).

Stock Parts on Cervelo S5 (51cm):
Rotor 3DF crankset
Fizik Antares Saddle
Ultegra groupset
3T Ergonova PRO Bars
3T ARX II Pro Stem (140g)
Fulcrum Racing 3.5 wheelset (~1750g? only stat I found is from ebay... I'll weight them myself tomorrow)
with Vittoria tubes

So far here is a list of things I have upgraded:

Omni Racing Skewers (42g)
Tune Headset Cap (~5g)
TriRig Omega Brakes (124g ea)
Antares 00 Seat (~143g)
KMC X11SL DLC (~233g in black and red with extra links removed)
Zipp 202 Tubular wheelset (actually comes in tomorrow, pumped! ~1180g)
SRAM XG 11-25 cassette (waiting for the zipps to install this)
Veloflex Extreme tireset (240g).
ARX II TEAM stem (120g, LBS swapped stems for free since I needed 100mm and they had it in Team only)
Look Keo 2 Blade Cr (110g ea, ok this wasn't an upgrade as I already had these pedals)
Cut the seatpost saving ~25g. Probably wasn't worth it but I wanted to see how much I'd save :)

So I haven't put on the new Zipp 202s yet since they come in tomorrow. They are coming with the Tangente tires but I also have a set of Veloflex Extremese coming in. The extreme's won't be in until next week. I am torn between mounting the zipps with the Tangente's just to try them out or just waiting until I get the extremes in. I am going to be using Tape for the first time (I know, I know, highly polarizing sub-topic I'd like to avoid if possible).

Without the Zipps on, the bike weighs ~16.25 lbs right now. So I am expecting to drop a little over a pound by swapping to the Zipps. With luck I will hit right at 15 lbs which has been my first goal (for some reason it seems like a cool first WW goal to be the UCI limit :).

Other than what I have already done, I am not really seeing a whole lot else left to improve on. I could shave 60g by upgrading the Ergonova PRO to the carbon Team. I could shave maybe ~65g going from my Keo2blades to Speedplay Ti Pedals. Not really interested in the ultralite or mercury type pedals...

I also know I could upgrade the crankset from the 3DF but it seems like a pretty poor way to go in terms of efficiency. I think the 3D+ set is maybe 60 grams lighter... doesn't seem worth it.... does anybody know what I could do to lighten the 52/36 crankset? Maybe replace chainrings?

I will try to get a picture up later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

I dropped my rotor crankset for a campy over-torque on my R5 and shed close to 80 grams without having to replace bearings or anything else... Also make sure you ride it a fair bit, the carbon railed/bodied fizik saddles have a way different feel on long rides than their plusher, heavier siblings.

Out of curiosity... What made you go with the 202's on an aero frame? The 303's or 404's would jive with the aero frame better than the 202's at a tiny weight penalty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosuch

by rosuch

I had a S5 which I had started to lighten before I sold it. I am a big fan of Praxis chainrings and had switched them with great success. They not only shift well but are lighter than the stock rings.

totoboa

by totoboa

I am stunned by this 17lb Cervello.

My $399 Aluminum Windsor Wellington, with another $375 of mods weighs 18.1 pounds sans pedals.

Shimano 2300, 8-sp Sora and TekTro; the Tiagra crankset is an upgrade !!!!

There is a CF Colnago at the shop, and I asked them to hang it on their scale. 19 US pounds &*^%$

ictus

by ictus

mjduct wrote:Out of curiosity... What made you go with the 202's on an aero frame? The 303's or 404's would jive with the aero frame better than the 202's at a tiny weight penalty...

Great question. The aero wheels I really want are a bit too expensive right now and I was able to get a fairly good deal on the 202s. I did plan to get some deeper rims eventually.

totoboa wrote:I am stunned by this 17lb Cervello.

I know what you mean, but you have to consider that aero bikes are not built prioritizing weight as much as aerodynamics. Most of the aero bikes I looked at seemed to be a pound or two heavier than what you'd overwise get in a road bike of comparable price. I didn't go into this originally with a WW mentality as I said, but now that I do have the S5 I figure why not shave some grams here and there... and I am fully aware I could have gotten a cheaper non-aero bike weighing less but why not have light and aero :)

rosuch wrote:I had a S5 which I had started to lighten before I sold it. I am a big fan of Praxis chainrings and had switched them with great success. They not only shift well but are lighter than the stock rings.

Thanks for the suggestion. The praxis does seem pretty nice.

mjduct

by mjduct

I weenie built my R5 ~12lbs and have a set of 24mm Chinese carbon wheels, but I race it with a set of 404 tubulars and it looks goofy as hell. I just thought we should trade and have a better set of top end wheels that match our respective builds!

I can second the praxis rings suggestion, I had them originally on the rotor crank that came on the R5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

As said before - 202s on this bike is just wrong... The extra ~300g for the 404s would be well spent making the bike faster, and surely a swap to a RED group would save that back for you...

Praxis rings, sram red, ditch the heavy handlebar.

You touched on it - why not build a light and aero bike - keep in mind the chief aero benefit is wheels, not the frame - note how the new S5 is 21 watts faster than your because they spec'd it with aero wheels and an aero handlebar.. Food for thought there.

kgt

by kgt

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod wrote:As said before - 202s on this bike is just wrong.

+100

BmanX

by BmanX

I would say that the MIN wheel depth on an aero bike should be 50mm. I have and always will be AERO and LIGHT is RIGHT and instead of going with the Zipp 202's you could have picked up a set of 50mm 1300g carbon clinchers and used the left over money to lighten up the ride elsewhere.

I have a Cervelo SLC that currently is 5880g. The only thing that I might change out on it is the bar/stem to the new Cervelo aero drop bars and maybe the TriRig stem but that stem is a PIG (compared to what I currently have) but extremely aero.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ictus

by ictus

Ok, so I took your comments to heart... well that combined with the fact that I found a whopping 30% off deal on a set of '13 404's at a local shop. I returned the 202 set that I bought online. Even after paying a restocking fee I came out ahead... and I feel better knowing I got them at a local shop that will stand by them. Not sure what I was thinking buying wheels online but I probably won't do it again...

I weighed the 404 set without QRs and they are just about exactly 1400g. So ever so slightly heaver than advertised 2013 version. So its just a 200g difference between the 2014 202 and 2013 404.

I just got in a set of ceramicspeed RD pulleys. I don't think they will save any weight, but I know they will save a couple watts. I will also be getting in some hardware from Toronto Cycles to help tweak the RD and give it some style in with red bits.

I checked the stats and the praxis rings would actually be a wash vs the rotor rings. I did quite a bit of searching and decided to give the Fibre-Lyte lightweight 2 a try. Ordered and should be here in ~3 weeks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com