Trek Emonda SLR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wkwt

by wkwt

Posted a couple of these pics in another thread, but this seems like a more appropriate place for a discussion on this: bit of a quick build post for the new Trek Emonda SLR frameset, sz 52.

Transplanted most components from my last bike to this, so running DA9000 mech, Bontrager XXX cockpit, Bontrager Aeolus 3 clinchers, R3 tires. Recently switched to a Specialized Romin Pro carbon saddle as the Bonty Paradigm tore me up a bit... Look Blade 2 pedals, Bontrager RXL cages

I like some of the pieces the complete bike introduced (in terms of aesthetics or weight) so used the same Jagwire link cables and Bontrager Speed Stop brakes (still waiting on the front brake).

Weights:
- frame (with hanger, some random stickers, cable lining in the tubes): 730g
- fork: 290g
- bike described above without front brake and uncut front brake cable: 13 lbs 10 oz, including pedals, cages, Garmin mount. I'm good with that as there is nothing super-exotic about this build.

I would guess the bare frame may be 715-720g for a size 52, but not the 690g for a painted 56 as advertised.

I really enjoyed a 3 hr test ride on an Emonda SL Ultegra so expect this bike will be a touch better as the 700 series carbon is supposed to be stiffer and more compliant. Will post up my ride impressions.

Only disappointment so far would be that for a sleeper bike this paint scheme is even sleepier. The photos on the site make it seem that the graphics pop out more from the background, but they are really hard to see even in real life up close!

Saddle is black, there's some glare on it here

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

Very sleek bike! I'm a big fan of Trek and Bontrager components. :thumbup:
Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That would look sensational with some top quality components on, like a SR rear mech.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Did the frame have the BB bearings in when weighed, as Trek usually ships frames with bearings in place. Can you weigh the cable liner, as it is worth 20-30g???

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@Valbrona - DA9000 is top quality ?????

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

wkwt

by wkwt

Definitely did not come with BB bearings in place. Good point with the liners, but even if my lbs still had them, I don't think they have the right scale to weigh them!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Ozrider wrote:DA9000 is top quality ?????,

You Aussies have a good sense of humour.

gmakris

by gmakris

Ozrider wrote:Did the frame have the BB bearings in when weighed, as Trek usually ships frames with bearings in place. Can you weigh the cable liner, as it is worth 20-30g???

cable liners are very light maybe less than 10gr - I noticed no cage bolts so if you add them it will are remove liners the weight will be the same.
If the BB is exluded you have to add the bearings weight approx 40gr

boots2000

by boots2000

So it wil be over 14 built with everything? Cages included?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Are those the correct brake pads for those wheels? I was under the impression that Bontrager used cork pads for their carbon wheels.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FIJIGabe wrote:Are those the correct brake pads for those wheels? I was under the impression that Bontrager used cork pads for their carbon wheels.

Non cork is fine... But trek might not warranty it..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

deek

by deek

690g was with no frame hardware + 30g for hanger/bolts/misc. It looks like you only have the hanger on there though.

Who knows how accurate those Park Tool scales are anyway.
Attachments
emonda.png

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Dura Ace is a superb groupset, as is Red, as is SR. People who are high and mighty about their own choice of groupset should calm down on these threads. This bike is stunning and if the dude loves his 9000, all the better.

wkwt

by wkwt

Thanks, bro. I don't mind hearing everyone's opinion. There's a lot of experienced riders/racers here that know a lot more than me. But, DA is butter ;).

I do run Swisstop Black Prince pads on the Aeolus wheels. Really nice braking.

Final build, now with front brake, ready to ride (except Garmin off) = 13 lbs 12 oz:

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

You could save a few grams with the XXX Lite cages. :mrgreen:
Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com