Trek Emonda SLR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wkwt

by wkwt

Yeah, I tried them in the past and didn't feel like they held the bottles that tight.

There's also a Stages PM on there, so 20 g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tsutaoka

by tsutaoka

Nice one

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@wkwt - nice bike, it looks really good.
I've just swapped over SRAM Red onto my one bike after a crash - was running it on two bikes, and am fitting DA 9000 levers and derailleurs and EE brakes to my Parlee.
All the top end groupsets work well, but Shimano is probably the smoothest. DA is well made and works really well, in fact my DA7800 on my steel bike is still one of the best shifting groupsets I have ever used.

I use the XXX cages on my Madone, and have never had a bottle eject, and the new cages are only 19g.

If you are not running a BB30/PF30 frame, then Shimano is about 130g heavier than SRAM Red, but then you can't fit the Stages for only 20g extra.

Now get riding and give us some feedback on ride and handling.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

PSM

by PSM

Nice bike!

Do you work at Trek?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Don't know if I said it before, but the bike has come together beautifully. I love the paint job for the build!

wkwt

by wkwt

Thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen; means a lot from this crowd.

Oz, thanks for the insight. We've discussed those XXX cages in the past -- I got mine on eBay so maybe that was the issue...

No, I don't work for Trek, just funding them :(.

I did 65 miles and 3900 feet this morning. This is all based on feel, as are most of our impressions, but my hunch that the bike would be that much better than the SL was confirmed. The 700 series carbon feels slightly stiffer, but I was even more impressed with the comfort level. Coming from a Domane, this was my main concern, but there was no issue on all but the worst patches. The marketing buzz about the hours spent on tuning feel on this frame, well, I do think Trek did the work. I've spent significant time on a SS Evo and Cervelo R5 along with the Madone (all great) and I do feel that this bike surpasses them on comfort, feel, and stiffness. That muted feeling that I felt some part of on the Madone 7 just isn't there anymore. Handling is quick, stable, superb and of course it does give you that feeling that it wants to climb given the stiffness and lightness. I particularly enjoyed the ease of maintaining power for good amounts of time on the 2-4% false flats. Coming off of some sickness, I did not even have good legs today and certainly am just scratching the surface of this machine.

I don't want to come off as some fanboy. All I will say is that if you are fortunate enough to be in the market for a superframe, give this one a try. I'd be amazed if you found any fault with it other than not being aero.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Xxx off eBay are fakes.. The hold ok but not as well as legit xxx. I have both.. Pair off eBay 33 bucks.. Pair from LBS 170+.. eBay works for me
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Sasmf

by Sasmf

I've looked everywhere. Where can I buy those Bontrager Speed Stop direct mount brakes?

wkwt

by wkwt

Got them through my lbs. Seems like everything related to the Emonda is in short supply. When I ordered these brakes over 2 weeks ago, there were only 2 in the system; one had to be sent from CA and the other from Wisconsin.

Sasmf

by Sasmf

Can you tell what you paid for them?

wkwt

by wkwt

Interesting question: I thought they would be $180 a pair and clarified that with the shop on prepaying for them. When I picked the last brake up, it ended up being $180 each on the ticket. I didn't say much b/c I wanted to finish my build, but do intend on double checking that price. Sorry to only add confusion...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That price is wrong. List for bottle cages is $80/each.
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wkwt

by wkwt

I checked with another shop today: $179.99 for Bontrager Speed Stop Brakes front/rear. Still not sure...
Last edited by wkwt on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sasmf

by Sasmf

I just purchased from my local shop and they said they weren't sure but believed they were 179.99 for each brake so I am sure that's what they are trying to get away with. Unless someone can give me something definitive from Trek\Bontrager because they're not responding to their emails.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The brakes are too new to get good pricing on them. I'll call my old LBS and ask, but they might not know yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com