2014 Cervelo S3, Super-Record, Easton EC90 38mm, 6,2kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Sacke

by Sacke

coppercook62 wrote:If I ever bought another Cervelo S3 would be it. That looks sharp.

If you haven't tried the new S3, you should. You will change your sentence "WHEN i buy another Cervelo S3" :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grid256

by grid256

Sacke, you mention you previously had an S5. How does this compare? I too had an S5 and while it was easily the fastest bike I've ever ridden, it was also the worst riding bike I've ridden.

Sacke

by Sacke

grid256 wrote:Sacke, you mention you previously had an S5. How does this compare? I too had an S5 and while it was easily the fastest bike I've ever ridden, it was also the worst riding bike I've ridden.

Here is my old S5. I loved it for the same reason, that it was indeed the fastest bike ever.

At the same time, I having gone to the S5 from a Supersix Evo, that I loved for being so forgiving on tired legs at the end of a long ride... it was hard to notice that the S5 was indeed somewhat of a handful to push along when the legs had nothing left.

This S3 actually manages to be what Cervelo meant it to be, a marriage between the R-series and the S-series.

I have yet to ride a bike that would feel as fast, while also being remarkably comfortable.

One riding buddy from the local group rides, who has the old S2, tried my bike over a weekend with his own wheels to feel the difference.

After the weekend, he ordered the new S3. He was really surprised at how big the difference in comfort was, while keeping (and adding) aeroness.

I just wish they would make it in an RCA inspired paint job. Then it would be the ultimate bike. :)

grid256

by grid256

Sacke, many thanks for this! I agree, a blacked out or minimal matte paint scheme would be amazing.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Beautiful, how is the S3 stiffness compared to the evo and s5?

Sacke

by Sacke

justkeepedaling wrote:Beautiful, how is the S3 stiffness compared to the evo and s5?

In terms of lateral stiffness in the BB area... the S5 feels the stiffest, the S3 not far behind, the Evo the least stiff.

In terms of lateral stiffness of the front triangle... the S3 is the stiffest, the Evo and S5 being about the same, although the S5 was harsh on the hands because of absolutely no vertical compliance, while the Evo is comfy all day.

You can see how Cervelo updated their S5 for 2015 to be almost identical to the S3 up front, with the exception of "wrapping" the down tube around the crown of the fork. http://road.cc/content/news/128679-cerv ... -road-bike

I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 now takes a pretty significant leap in appreciation, especially from the triathlete crowd, or tall people looking for that big aero advantage. From what I have understood, the first generation S5, like one I had, was a bit loose up front in sizes larger than 54cm. I never had that problem, but quite a few complained on forums and in reviews. The new version fixes that, while keeping everything that was great about it in the first place.

Summa summarum - I prefer the S3. It is more aero than most, which is obvious, but the comfort on long rides being the detail that really makes the bike feel particularly sweet. I notice the difference on long group rides (longer than 3h) where feeling fresh at the end of the ride means the difference between being dropped in the last hills, and dropping people in the last hills.

Gary71

by Gary71

Sacke wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:Beautiful, how is the S3 stiffness compared to the evo and s5?

In terms of lateral stiffness in the BB area... the S5 feels the stiffest, the S3 not far behind, the Evo the least stiff.

In terms of lateral stiffness of the front triangle... the S3 is the stiffest, the Evo and S5 being about the same, although the S5 was harsh on the hands because of absolutely no vertical compliance, while the Evo is comfy all day.

You can see how Cervelo updated their S5 for 2015 to be almost identical to the S3 up front, with the exception of "wrapping" the down tube around the crown of the fork. http://road.cc/content/news/128679-cerv ... -road-bike

I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 now takes a pretty significant leap in appreciation, especially from the triathlete crowd, or tall people looking for that big aero advantage. From what I have understood, the first generation S5, like one I had, was a bit loose up front in sizes larger than 54cm. I never had that problem, but quite a few complained on forums and in reviews. The new version fixes that, while keeping everything that was great about it in the first place.

Summa summarum - I prefer the S3. It is more aero than most, which is obvious, but the comfort on long rides being the detail that really makes the bike feel particularly sweet. I notice the difference on long group rides (longer than 3h) where feeling fresh at the end of the ride means the difference between being dropped in the last hills, and dropping people in the last hills.

That's sealed it for me - I am buying an S3 (n+1) !

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

great looking frame!

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Interesting! My S5 is the only road bike I have ever had and was curious about BB stiffness and front end stiffness after reading many test reviews. Great to hear, builds confidence in me to keep the frameset and build it like I want.

I also find your S5 setup interesting as I am 182cm (5'11.5") tall with a long torso. Regardless of cleat position I have dull pains across the front of my right knee after a long ride. Yes, I've had a professional fitment and found it only got me close. So I think I'll give that front seatpost position a try (maybe clampling the saddle rails at the front will allow it flex a bit more like a spring board for some compliance? fingerscrossed)

rosuch

by rosuch

I have one on order. I can't wait to build it. I also use Campy on all of my Cervelos and think they are perfect together.

redlude

by redlude

I just bought a 2014 S3. I am coming off of a Scott Cr1 Pro I had for almost 7 years. That was a very good bike, for me. I was going to go back to Scott for a Foil 10. I just happened to read some of the personal reviews on the S3 and went to my LBS to test one as a just in case test ride. 40 miles later..... I bought that S3. I also test rode the Foil 10 and a Cannodale Evo Super Six and that is why I did not hesitate to purchase the S3.

The thing I really noticed, even at my advanced age (55),,, the bike just wants to go and when you get it up to speed, around 25-30 mph, the amount of effort to keep it at the speed is almost ridiculously easy.. The bike does a really good job of soaking up the road chatter on rougher roads as well (chip-n-seal specifically)..I live about 30 miles south of Atlanta and everything is rolling hills with some steep shorter ramps... The S3 shines in that environment. I am going to take it up to the mountains in North Georgia next month to see how she does.. This is there where they hold the 6 Gap Century ride every fall...16K feet over a 100 miles should test it pretty good....

The geometry of the S3 fits me to a T and the bike begs you to ride it in the drops,,,, it really feels, almost, like a TT bike when you are in the drops... Next spring gonna remove the Cosmic Elites and keep them for roller use during the winter and put a pair of Enve 3.4 on her... By that time, I hope I am strong enough to make the bike go as fast as she will look....

Telling you guys,,, if you have any doubts about it, test ride the S3, but I am not responsible for the expenditure of monies after the test ride :wink:

Permon

by Permon

prebsy wrote:campy on Cervelos just looks right

+1000
I dont know why, but Campagnolo on Cervelo looks great! Maybe because there is only few of them :wink:
I used to have R5VWD with Campy adnd Hyperons....looked soooo RIGHT!

rosuch

by rosuch

Great info. I have had a few Cervelos and regretted selling my 2010 S2 so much that I ordered a new S3.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Nice built.
Campagnolo parts always compliment a bike.
In this one they look even better

Enjoy it!!

cazone

by cazone

Très beau cervélo !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com