soracabana

by soracabana

Thanks Marty.

I post mine, it's not a V1-r but it's a Colnago (better than nothing!) :

http://nsm08.casimages.com/img/2014/12/ ... 828839.jpg

MartyWild

by MartyWild

^^^^^ She's a beauty!

Forgive my ignorance, what frame is that. I'm very new to Colnago...

Hoping the OP comes on soon and sees the appreciation for his bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

soracabana

by soracabana

It's a Colnago Ace with a high head tube. I bought it because I need this kind of geometry. The V1-r is better.

MartyWild

by MartyWild

The beginning of your seat stays are way nicer than the V1-R though! :)

soracabana

by soracabana

Maybe you're right, thank-you. It's a beautiful bike but the dynamic responses of your V1-r will be better. This one is for a old guy like me, not enough for a young rider with good physical condition as you are. The V1-r choice (or C60) is the good one for you.

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks Sora, hope the frame is good... hard to find as many reviews as the Canyon Aeroad.

soracabana

by soracabana

About the beginning of Colnago seat stays :

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Both lookers, I'm not sure about the bridge on the V1-R.

Perhaps we should keep the slightly off-topic to my thread, don't want to offend the OP.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

A great looking ride... curious about your longer term report on the back brake positioning and how you like the frame.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Could try dropping the OP a PM, don't think I can as I'm new round these parts.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Interesting that soracabana posted other iterations of Colnago seat stays as that was the first thing that caught my eye with the frame.
While other chainstay mounted brake frames forgo any seatstay arch/bridge, Colnago still sees a benefit if the V1-R is any indication.
Regardless of structural engineering geekery which maybe someone can explain, this is a very, very nice build. Enjoy!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

kmenon610

by kmenon610

Hey guys!

Back for a small review. I've been off the bike for a few weeks after getting hit by a car. Luckily, I wasn't riding the V1-r :)

As for the V1-r, I have nothing but praise for it.

The ride is smooth and comfortable, even on longer rides. Cornering is great and it really glides through turns. Overall, the ride is stable but if you need to be aggressive, you can get up out of the saddle and really make it fly. Seriously, it's incredible. The New BB system with the THM crank feels stiff and responsive; if it flexes, I haven't felt it. I've ridden my fair share of Colnago bikes and a lot of other brands as well; this is hands down my favorite bike.

Some people have asked about the seatpost, it is a little heavier than most carbon posts due to the clamping section. The trade off being that I've never had any squeaking issues and set up has been a breeze. Colnago is not shy is saying that we add weight in areas where it was crucial, including the seat rail clamps :)

In terms of brake performance, it's been great. I've ridden this in the rain and snow on the Mavic CCU wheels and I've been able to brake consistently. I'm sure if I rode it in really wet conditions, disc brakes would be more consistent. However, direct mount brakes feel stronger than traditional center mounts and seem to give more power with less lever effort. Craig at EE Cycleworks has out done himself. I've also tested the Colnago B1-r brakes and they are great as well. The only difference I found between the two is weight and price. The EE brakes are lighter and more expensive; the Colnago brakes are heavier but provide great braking as well. It's worth nothing that the Colnago brakes are lighter than the Dura Ace brakes and used by Europcar.

Overall, it is great. I don't have any complaints.

I'll get you guys a new photo as soon as possible! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thanks for coming on and sharing your experience, really appreciate it! Hope you have recovered from the nasty incident.

Your review sounds glowing and I really can't wait to get mine built up. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- Am I right in thinking the FD is the braize on type? Want to get a new FD ordered and the place I am buying the frame from is shut.

- In the pics I can see what looks like a Shimano tension adjuster, yet you're running Campy. Is that a little mod you did?

- I read somewhere that the decals on the frame are stuck on and not lacquered in, is that true?

- Finally, as someone that works for Colnago can you shed any light on the Ferrari involvement and any aero gains from wind tunnel time and CFD.

Cheeky I know! :mrgreen:

Thanks once again for your help!

kmenon610

by kmenon610

Back to answer a few more questions:

The front derailleur is a braze on on the bike. All of our bikes use a braze on now instead of a clamp on.

I just used a standard Jagwire cable adjuster with Campagnolo cables and housing. The grey color comes with some of the Jagwire cable kits.

The decals on the frame are covered by a matte clearcoat on the frame. You can't peel them off the frame. Also, the matte coat protects the decals and the carbon underneath.

As for Ferrari's involvement in the project, it was huge. The logo on the top tube is not just a licensing agreement but a full partnership. The prototype frames and drawings were brought to Ferrari to have their engineers and designers tweak the bike over all to help lighten up the frame, make it stronger, and tweak the aero shaping. Our partnership is long standing with them and they were happy to help us with this project. As for wind tunnel data, I don't have it here. I'll see if I can get you more information on it.

Thanks Guys!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Thank you so much for swooping by and answering all my questions in one hit.

I have ordered a braze FD now.

I see, so it wasn't Shimano after all. Almost looks from the pictures like your front brake is controlled by the left hand lever?!

Phew, was worried by the way one of the posters in this thread made it sound. Nice to know it's all UV protected etc.

Wind tunnel data would be immense! Interesting also to hear from a representative from Colnago so thanks once again. I had ordered the same colour combo as yours but that fell through, so I am going with the black on black version now.