Colnago V1-r

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MartyWild

by MartyWild

Been to the bike shop and seen mine.

Frame with BB alloy shell, seat post clamp, and other finishing bits weighed in at 1,060g.

Forks just under 410g when uncut.

Seatpost is 200g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So over the weekend I caught some of the Formula 1 event from Melbourne, Australia. Wow!... those cars are some kinda sexy. The coverage just happened to always come on the television after the day's stage of Paris-Nice, otherwise I probably wouldn't have been tuned in. But it got me thinking of Colnago's V1-R. So Chris, or others with the V1-R, how's the long term ride report status, or has the winter been so dismal you don't really have much new to report yet? I'm actually in between sizes on this frame, right between the 56s and the 58s but would certainly consider doing a build with this frame if not for that one nagging bit of technological "devolution"... the rear brake underneath the frame and behind the bottom bracket. Other than that, I think Colnago's Threadfit solution to the PF BB fiasco we are stuck with today is as good as it gets, and other manufacturers would do well to follow suit.

So... call me when and if Colnago ever decides to put the rear brake back where it belongs and we'll talk.

Vroom Vroom... love the collaboration with Ferrari on this.
:beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MartyWild

by MartyWild

I took mine out on some proper hills for the first time this weekend, it was immense! Got PRs all over the shop despite it being so early on in the season. Still early days, have covered 130 miles or so.

My initial impressions when comparing this bike to my Pinarello F3:13 as follows:

- The bike rails through through the bends with solidarity. But the initial turn in requires more of a push than the F3:13, but once you've told the bike where it is going it complies with confidence inspiring ease.

- I would definitely say the bike transfers more power to the road than the 2007 Pinnarello, the climbs really felt easier and more economical, that said the V1-R weighs 700g less than the Pinarello.

- The rear brake is undoubtedly harder to work on. I am running Nokon cables too, in one review of the bike the bike was criticised for poor rear brake feel. With the EE DM at the back, yes the lever feel is a little more restricted than the non-internally routed braking on the Pinarello. But in some ways, I actually prefer a bit of a tougher pull on the back, as in my mind it means it makes the back brake less grappy and inclined to lock.

- Over all stopping power from the EE DM brakes with Zipp Tangente Platinum pads has been excellent, great modulation and some real power behind it!

- The bike feels very fast and it has been windy here this March, there has been times when I've looked down at the Garmin to be surprised to see my speed into a headwind. How much of this is down to the slippiness of the frame, of course I can't truly account for.

- Ride quality has been excellent so far, less crashy than the medium modulus Pinnarello running the same Zipp 404s.

I will be putting up a few shots in my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129891

micro553

by micro553

What bartape is that?

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Can you please tell me what BB Cups you have used in your V1-r and how they perform with Colnagos Thread Fit standard? The Clavicula Cranks do have a 30 mm spindle diameter or am I wrong? I'm currently running a Campagnolo Comp Ultra Crankset in my Supersix with BB30 shell and as a soon to be owner of a Colnago C60 I have serious doubts whether it makes sense to keep the Comp Ultra Cranks and try to make them work with the Thread Fit BB or to just change to Ultra Torque? I will be grateful for any kind of advice :?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lorne, this is a no brainer in my mind. Go with the Ultra-Torque. Are you putting on a new campy group? The four arm crank is very nice in that it allows you to change rings to any combo you like, 34/50; 36/52; 39/53. Colnago Threadfit BB is not intended to be used with a 30mm spindle crank. At least not without resorting to teensy less durable bearings.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rosuch

by rosuch

LorneMalvo wrote:Can you please tell me what BB Cups you have used in your V1-r and how they perform with Colnagos Thread Fit standard? The Clavicula Cranks do have a 30 mm spindle diameter or am I wrong? I'm currently running a Campagnolo Comp Ultra Crankset in my Supersix with BB30 shell and as a soon to be owner of a Colnago C60 I have serious doubts whether it makes sense to keep the Comp Ultra Cranks and try to make them work with the Thread Fit BB or to just change to Ultra Torque? I will be grateful for any kind of advice :?
I have a V1-r and Clavicula M3 cranks. I used the THM Shimano Press fit bb cups in the Colnago bottom bracket.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Calnago wrote:Lorne, this is a no brainer in my mind. Go with the Ultra-Torque. Are you putting on a new campy group? The four arm crank is very nice in that it allows you to change rings to any combo you like, 34/50; 36/52; 39/53. Colnago Threadfit BB is not intended to be used with a 30mm spindle crank.

Think you're right Cal, I'm just so attached to the Comp Ultra Crank because it performs so well in the Supersix :lol: but anyway I also think Ultra Torque is the way to go. I will put on a Super Record group with 34/50 crank from 2011 because I prefer it over the 2015 models just because of the looks, although I think the benefits of the new cranks to change rings to the different combos is quite nice. But for this case I still do have another 39/53 Super Record crank from 2010 and therefore will be able to switch if necessary :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, leave the Comp Ultra in the Supersix where it belongs. Especially since you have both compact and standard Ultratorque cranks at your disposal.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Rosuch, do you have long time experience with the Clavicula Crank and the Threadfit BB? Will be interesting to hear how 30mm cranks perform in the Threadfit Colnago frames!

rosuch

by rosuch

LorneMalvo wrote:Rosuch, do you have long time experience with the Clavicula Crank and the Threadfit BB? Will be interesting to hear how 30mm cranks perform in the Threadfit Colnago frames!
No, my first Threadfit build with a Clavicula crank. It's a long story, I bought the crank before I had my next build because I got a great bargain and then corresponded with Fairwheelbikes on what cups to use. Their suggestion was the THM Shimano Pressfit. I have yet to ride it due to the weather.