Sub 5Kg bike, Advice needed. (UPDATE: First parts ordered)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

aerobikewheels wrote:
@wrcompositi,
Thanks for the usefull imput yet again.

For the mr. control parts, do you have a contact for me wich speaks english? where i can buy from?

The rim you pictured, is that matt, or also raw finish?

For the frame, It will probably for 70% raw carbon, but i will put glossy finish on some places for protection.

I have no idea how Mr.Control deals with international buyers, but in a local e-commerce site I found their email: primaero@ms35.hinet.net
There are also some ebay sellers which sell Mr.Control's parts.

The Nextie rim has matte clear coat. I opted for the version without basalt brake tracks for it's a little lighter(claimed weight 230+/-15g). This model(NXT20T02) is no longer listed on Nextie's site, but its information can be found here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Nextie-Wide-Carbon-Road-Bike-20mm-Rim-Tubular-Carbon-Wheels-20mm/929194_1087107356.htmll

aerobikewheels wrote:
For Outer cables (brake), i am thinking of alligator super light they claim to be 10 grams per meter and it is affordable. Can't find too much experience. But basically they use glassfiber instead of steel cabling

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=338

For outer cables (shift), i think i will choose the mini alligator i-links.
For inner cables i will give the powercordz a try, as they arent too expensive to replace.

The xcracer shop must be mistaken, Alligator's site states this fiberglass housing is for shift only:
http://www.alligatorcables.com/cable_housing_structure.html?type=CP&CategoryID=2&KindID=6
If the weight is 60% lighter than normal shift housing(30~35g per meter) as claimed by Alligator, then it should be as light as 12g per meter, which is the lightest in the market. I didn't know there's such fiberglass housing until you mention it, will see if I could source this! I hope the housing is not too hard to bend because my handlebar hates stiff cable routing.

On the other hand, I have some Ashima NoMet shift housing made of POM plastic(Delrin) but haven't used it. It's 4mm and not too stiff when bended by hands, feels similar to normal housing and weighs in at 14.8g/m. I intend to swap the Aican Bungarus housing for Ashima's when I change shifters and cables.
Bikerumor's report on Ashima housing:http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/08/31/eb13-ashima-hydromech-mech-to-hydro-disc-brake-converter-metal-free-cable-housing-more/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

http://www.tuning-pedals.de/epages/6249 ... lay_getunt
I have used them and I'm very happy with the results.

I have used Powercordz and you are off base with the reliability. They are a one time use cable, I will give you that, but they are extremely strong and light weight which is what is on your check list.

They do make all ceramic bearings for Speedplay pedals too [There are 3 sizes of bearings, I only found one full ceramic]. They are lighter, not much, but they are. The bolt holding the pedal to the spindle can be swapped out too. If you can find an alloy bow tie, they will last for at least a season. I purchased several a few years back and I have one pair left.

RyanH

by RyanH

When installing powercordZ, run liners past every exit or contact point. I botched a brand new set because it rubbed against the other end of the barrel adjuster.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For wheels I would do a 20F24R carbon tubular build with 24mm deep rim from farsport or similar. If Novatec SL hubs are used and sapim laser spokes (budget choice) and alloy nipples a quite stiff 1035g wheelset could result. You would be well on your way to your target with these.

aerobikewheels

by aerobikewheels

For wheels I would do a 20F24R carbon tubular build with 24mm deep rim from farsport or similar. If Novatec SL hubs are used and sapim laser spokes (budget choice) and alloy nipples a quite stiff 1035g wheelset could result. You would be well on your way to your target with these.

Wheels will be my own brand, made in a factory which also does a well nown bike brand. Total weight around 900 grams (see my other posts).

When installing powercordZ, run liners past every exit or contact point. I botched a brand new set because it rubbed against the other end of the barrel adjuster.

I have used Powercordz and you are off base with the reliability. They are a one time use cable, I will give you that, but they are extremely strong and light weight which is what is on your check list.

I believe they will be strong enough and wont snap wen braking hard, the thing is, Same with carbon. When it rubs somewere it can slowly make your cable weaker, Also the clamp shystem of mr. control bikes aren not very kind to the cable, you really have to clamp tight if you don't want it to slip. If installed correctly the chances are minimal. but i just don't dare to take the risk for 20 gram's. For shift cables ill be happy to try them out.

http://www.tuning-pedals.de/epages/6249 ... lay_getunt
I have used them and I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks! Exactly were i was looking for, 240 Gram and 110kg weight limit, with the more durable ti bowties instead of alluminium.
That will save me 15 extra grams

There's also modded Sram red rear derailleur with replaced bolts and carbon pulley housing, gives me a nice indication how much i can save there, cause i am planning to do the same there.

For shift cables i will go alligator super light in combination with powercordz,

I Also recieved some samples from the factory, one of them was a 3k and a ud raw carbon rim slice, looks incredibly cool if you ask me.

i will take pictures tomorrow,
ill keep you up to date. First parts are ordered.

aerobikewheels

by aerobikewheels

UPDATE:

I just bought a sisl2 crankset on an Ebay bidding (a new one) A double tough, i might buy a compact chainring extra, so i can switch.
I also ordered the parts needed for the wheelset.
For the frame, i will have some small personal painting on it.
My own branding offcourse. so i expect that that order will be made somewhere this week.

I also bought:
36 gram quick release set. (already have a 42 gram in stock, but every gram counts to reach my goal
And 2 5 gram each carbon 11T pulley's a 9 gram seatpost clamp and a 6.5 Gram headset expander (looks identical to the extralite, but cheaper)

Handlebar is in stock, but i will order a new unpainted one to save some extra grams (will be covered with bar tape anyway).

It is over 4Am now in holland, ebay bidding just closed. so thats why i am up so late.
As crank is comming from us and ill use cheapest shipping it will probably take 2 to 3 weeks before posting pictures, but when i have it i will post them immediately.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Any update on this at all?

McGilli

by McGilli

OP: Good luck - but I'm pretty sure you'll achieve sub 5kg easily. You seem to have some $ to spend - and more $ buys less weight :)

I spent $2,000 - that was my limit - That had to include everything from the frame, wheels, headset spacers etc etc... Every single part - and right now - all the parts are weighing 5.5kg total. And I'm basically using not top tier stuff as I had to ration my money to spread it across all the parts.

Looking forward to your build, I'm going to subscribe to this thread.