SWORKS SL4 Size 56 Weight problem

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Good afternoon fellow "Weight Weenies"!
Long time viewer, first time poster!

I have just purchased a new Size 56 SWORKS SL4 frame and had them build it up with the following specifications:

- Full Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical grouppo
- Dura-Ace 9000 C24 Clinchers
- Ritchey Matrix Stem 110m - 120g
- Ritchey Superlogic EvoCurve Bars 42cm - 190g
- Prologo Zero 2 Nack Saddle - 175g
- BBB Flexi bottle cages x 2 - 30g each (undestructable/personal favourite).
- Continental GP4000S tyres
- Lightweight tubes.
- CB Pedals - 285g

The bike has come up at 7.3kg (including pedal and bottle cages, excluding garmin)
I am extremely suprised and shocked as I think the bike is extremely heavy considering the spec I put on it! I have seen others on this site, with similar spec builds to mine (even though maybe they use different wheels they come in at approximately the same weight as my C24 9000 clinchers) to have bikes significantly lighter (up to a KG!)

I have had other riders with SL4 SWORKS TARMAC bikes comment to me how heavy my particular bike is relevant to theirs (our specifications and parts are almost identical, ie give or take 50grams)

Can anyone out there please tell me if I am wrong and 7.3kg is "light" for this type of bike!

I believe I am not in the wrong here and that in-fact for some odd reason 7.3kg is extremely heavy for this type of bike!

A few of my past bikes have been:

- 2010 Dogma 60.1 - Dura-Ace 7900 - Fulcrum Racing Zero Wheels - Size 550 - 7.23kg w pedals
- 2014 Focus Izalco Team SL 3 Dura-Ace 9000 (size 56) - Fulcrum Racing Zero Wheels - 6.9kg w pedals
- Scott Foil Team Issue Dura-Ace (size large 56)- Dura-Ace C24 Clinchers for training - C35 Tubular for Racing! (exact same part build as the SWORKS SL4 I HAVE) 6.89kg with pedals

It is just concerning that a bike like the SWORKS SL4, pegged as a "all round" bike and a bike better suited to climbing for its "weight" can weigh in at such a ridiculously high figure, when my Scott Foil in the same size with the exact same parts build came in 400g less (and they claim the foil is a heavier frame than the sl4)

Any help would be appreciated from any of you :lol: :D :)

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

You'd pretty much need to take it apart again and weigh the frame to get a definitive answer, anything else is just (educated) guesswork.

That said, I might have expected that build to come out a couple hundred grams lighter, but nowhere near a kilo lighter.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

The frame/fork and am sworks sl seatpost (200g) weight came in at 1700g

I have seen on these forums people say their size 58 frames (frame alone) come in at under 910g!

Therefore you would presume a size 56 frame to come in at 850 or so? (as claimed on a giant bikes test)

Would you deem 1700g for frame fork and 200g post to be excessive?

A Giant bike test deems the same size 56 Sworks bike with a heavier seatpost to come in at approx 1500g?
This makes me very suss as to mine and the 1700g with light seatpost weight!

fitty4

by fitty4

What about bearings and bottom bracket are they included in the frameset weight? spacers, seatclamp and headtube expander?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The 9000 wheels are wonderful wheels but are comparatively heavy. Still a great build you have.
Just ride ..

BRM

by BRM

What is the colorscheme of your new bike?
White needs more layers to begin with.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Thankyou for your responses.

wingguy wrote:You'd pretty much need to take it apart again and weigh the frame to get a definitive answer, anything else is just (educated) guesswork.

I refer to the below bike regarding being a similar build to mine in the same 56 size (he uses heavier seat, heavier stem, lighter bottle cages, same tyres and slightly less heavy wheels and pedals).

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108205

That said, I might have expected that build to come out a couple hundred grams lighter, but nowhere near a kilo lighter.
He claims his bike weighs in at 6.4kg!

If that 6.4kg figure is truthful and accurate (extremely light!!), I doubt the differences in his wheels and pedals (as they are the only parts which are lighter than mine which he uses) equates to 900g (almost a kg!)

BRM wrote:What is the colorscheme of your new bike?
White needs more layers to begin with.

My bike is matte black and white, I would doubt this colour scheme would add that much excessive weight (apparently only 40-50g, if that!, according to Specialized!)

fitty4 wrote:What about bearings and bottom bracket are they included in the frameset weight? spacers, seatclamp and headtube expander?

Other than the headset and a seatclamp there was nothing else on the bike.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

nice set up but i see your point

SL4s aren't especially light...my 52cm was above 900g in matte...and yours is a biggish size

....but you can easily drop 100g by choosing some nice light pedals, another 50-80g with seatpost...30-50g with housing (guess) etc

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

DA9000 cassette? Chain? Are you quoting actual weights for your stem/bars/saddle or listed weights?

My 3T bars listed at 190g come in at 209 actual. Tune saddle listed at 95g is actually 107g. I know those are small but they add up if you're using listed weights and not actual.

Also, those wheels aren't "weight weenie" at all, from my understanding.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Yes full Dura-Ace everything!!
I just dont understand how comparatively the bike built up above to 6.4kgs was done when i am using practically the same stuff.

The c24 clinchers according to Shimano weigh 1395g and the skewers 61g and 66g respectively. i have weighed the skewers and they are accurate and the rims are within 20g on my scale based on Shimanos 1395g figure!

They aint "weight weenie" but still 1400g or so for some 24mm clinchers as a training wheel seems alright with me!

Oswald

by Oswald

Actual weights vs claimed weights can make for a 10% difference, so that's 640gr on a 6.4kg bike. And adding up those weights instead of weighing the complete bike can add some more weight, because it tends to forget stuff like grease...
I wouldn't worry about it. You have a bike that most people, like myself, would be very happy to own.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I still confused on why this question is even asked. Only the original poster can find out the true reason why the bike weights more than expected.

Do like most weight weenies, weight the parts before the build, then after. We can only speculate and even that causes more debating. Take it apart and you will find out why. Otherwise there will be no answer that will satisfy you.

Claiming and bike weights 6.4kg and proving it are two different things. I can claim my SW Tarmac SL3 weighs 5.1kg, but I would have a hard time proving it.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hmm sounds like alot, i have a 58 nibali edition (alot of paint) with dura ace di2, enve components, cosmic carbone 40c and mine tips just under 7kg and my friend got the contador edition size 56 with sram red and 1545 gram wheels and his weight 6.5kg.. both weight on the same weight.

Could it be your weight? I would say yours should weigh around 6.8 ?

ardennes777

by ardennes777

No need to quote above

Exactly right! That is what I was thinking! You have read my mind exactly :) :)

I actually weighed the bars/seat/stem prior to putting them on just to be sure and each part was within 5/10g of the claimed amount!

I bought an SWORKS Tarmac under the pretty valid assumption that the bike with that build would come in (with pedals and cages) at approximately 7.0kg!

I only have heard fantastic things about these bikes (hence why I bought one) however the weight issue for me is a serious issue, considering:

I have seen an SWORKS VENGE in 56 with Di2 + Quarq + Lightweights + Pedals come in at 6.96 http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/01/bikes ... zed-venge/

An Allez Sworks in Size 56 (sans pedals) comes in at 6.6kgs!! http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/03/speci ... ez-review/

A Sworks Roubaix Disc Size 56 (sans pedals) comes in at 7.1kgs!! http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/10/speci ... sc-review/

Whilst the Venge is pegged with "Lightweight Wheels", if you deduct the claimed weight from the "Lightweights (1100g) from the claimed weight from the C24 Clinchers I have (1365g) it leaves a 265g discrepancy. Add a 50g discrepancy for the pedals (based on claimed weights) you are still looking at a 315g discrepancy! Add ontop that the Venge has a Quarq which mine does not! (added weight again) would still mean a Venge (which is claimed to be a heavier frame/fork/seatpost than a Tarmac) with Dura-Ace Di2 (heavier than mechanical Dura-Ace again) and a Quarq would still come in at the same weight as my Tarmac, if I had put my wheels and pedals on it!

This personally does not make sense to me, as if you peg a bike in a market as "an all round bike" which is "more complient", a "better climber" and "lighter" than a Venge, it should in-fact be!

It is common sense, at least on my behalf and hence why I bought the Tarmac over the Venge (the compliance issue is not an issue for me) was for the fact that I was told it would come out significantly lighter than a Venge with the same build on it! The evidence provided above does not suggest so! I bought the Tarmac for the fact it was going to come out lighter than a Venge (I was told approximately 500g!) and that it would be more suited to my purpose (I do alot of climbing and descending :) ) If I knew that the Tarmac would come out as heavy if not slightly heavier than what a Venge would come out (with the same build) I would have definately bought a Venge to get some "aero" benefits! You would be crazy not too if the compliance issue does not affect you!

The fact further remains that a Roubaix SWORKS Disc with the same pedals and cages and mine would weigh slightly more than my Tarmac. A Roubaix SWORKS without discs with my pedals and cages would most likely come out lighter than my Tarmac! How does that work?? You are talking about a bike with a heavier frame and a bike which is even pegged as not being a lightweight whippet like a Tarmac!

I think I will go and talk to Specialized as this simply cannot be correct based on what I have heard on here to date! If anyone else can suggest anything I would appreciate it!

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

So you havent actually weighed the frame and fork to find out? Why would you call Specialized before doing that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com