SWORKS SL4 Size 56 Weight problem

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I absolutely get where you are coming from, but a weight is more than frameset+group+wheels+pedals.

Look at the bikes they ride at the TdF, they are all above 6.8kg and definetly not all of them use extra weights to get there, while using tubulars.

From what I read, you have a very solid bike at a reasonable weight. If you want to get the weight down, you'll need to look into the details, like seat post collar, expander plug, top cap and what not. Quite a few posters have suggested to do a full build list. Even if you don't have weight for every single part, write them down and put them into groups, like frame+headset+fork+expander+rd hanger+bb bearings+cable guide=1700g
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Couple of things. Have you verified the weight of the bike on another scale?

Secondly, take the wheels off and strip the cassette, tubes, tyres, skewers and weigh everything separately.
There's another thread about 9000 C?? wheels being overweight by quite a bit.

Ultimately, you may have to strip it down and weigh the frame and forks.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

SLCBrandon wrote:So you havent actually weighed the frame and fork to find out? Why would you call Specialized before doing that?

I have and it comes in at 1700g.

Ypsylon wrote:I absolutely get where you are coming from, but a weight is more than frameset+group+wheels+pedals.

Look at the bikes they ride at the TdF, they are all above 6.8kg and definetly not all of them use extra weights to get there, while using tubulars.

From what I read, you have a very solid bike at a reasonable weight. If you want to get the weight down, you'll need to look into the details, like seat post collar, expander plug, top cap and what not. Quite a few posters have suggested to do a full build list. Even if you don't have weight for every single part, write them down and put them into groups, like frame+headset+fork+expander+rd hanger+bb bearings+cable guide=1700g

Hi Ypsylon, I understand! There was no BB, cables or fork expander in that 1700g weight!
Having weighed the bike complete and raw frame/fork alone on the same scale, the "build" (everything) would need to weigh in at 5600g in order to make up the total weight of 7.3kg. Based on the current figures I have and have provided on the forum there is a discrepancy of approximately 500-600g!

5 8 5 wrote:Couple of things. Have you verified the weight of the bike on another scale?

Secondly, take the wheels off and strip the cassette, tubes, tyres, skewers and weigh everything separately.
There's another thread about 9000 C?? wheels being overweight by quite a bit.

Ultimately, you may have to strip it down and weigh the frame and forks.

Yes I have weighed it on 2 other scales and both are within 30-40g of each other!
I had weighed the wheels yet for arguments sake I will do a strip and re-weigh them again!

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Did you buy it from an authorized dealer or off ebay or something? If not from a dealer, could it be a Chinese replica/copy?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Can you detail exactly what was included with the 1700g? There is obvioulsy some sort of adapter cups needed to run the Shimano crank with OSBB, are those included in the weight?

As I shared in my thread that you asked me in, I weighed a fairly heavy (lots of paint in this scheme) Saxo 56cm SL4 to be 895g, bare (no BB, hanger, headset etc etc). The fork was 338g, cut with no expander, IIRC.

ardennes777

by ardennes777

There is no need to quote the post above.

What was included was:
- The frame
- The fork attached to the frame (no fork expander put in, steering tube was hollow.)
- 2.5cm worth of carbon spacers.
- The seatpost
- The seatpost collar (wth bolt in it).

There was:
no bottom bracket
no adapter cups/adapter
no fork expander (as mentioned)
no cables
no cable guides
no hanger

In my opinion the way it was weighed is "pretty raw".
Thoughts??

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Headset?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Also, as was asked before, where did you buy this from?

ardennes777

by ardennes777

I bought it from a Specialized bike dealer.

Yes for the fork to be in the bike the headset was installed however there was no top-cap/bolt or fork expander in it.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Okay, I don't think you know what you are doing to us here. This is weightweenie hell. You've got WWs rolling over in their beds, knowing that there is an S-Works SL4 somewhere, that is too heavy. :scared:

We really need to break this down in an organized manner. I get you are nervous and it's hard to concentrate when each time you close your eyes you see the scale, but come on, focus, work with us here.

I get that you are disappointed by the weight of your bike, but comparing it to bike x with pedals and sorta similar stuff just will not do the trick.

Please, do us all a favor, grab your bike, take out the wheels, and at least weigh the "core" and then each wheel so we can start looking where the pork is. That is basically no work and will make things a lot easier. Help us help you.

I'll start this out, but we need at least those three weights to have a decent shot at filling in the blanks.

"frameset":
- The frame
- The fork attached to the frame (no fork expander put in, steering tube was hollow.)
- 2.5cm worth of carbon spacers.
- The seatpost collar (wth bolt in it).
- headset
- bottle cage bolts?

~1500g

- The seatpost 200g
- Ritchey Matrix Stem 110m - 120g
- Ritchey Superlogic EvoCurve Bars 42cm - 190g
- Prologo Zero 2 Nack Saddle - 175g
- BBB Flexi bottle cages x 2 - 30g each (undestructable/personal favourite).
- CB Pedals - 285g

~1030g

- other stuff (headset, expander, topcap, cables, housing, bar tape, bb, grease, computer mount)

- Full Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical grouppo (no cassette)

~1500g + ~1030g + xg = core weight (tbd)

Front wheel:
- Dura-Ace 9000 C24 Clincher front
- Continental GP4000S tyre
- Lightweight tubes
- Dura-Ace skewer
- rim tape?

Rear wheel:
- Dura-Ace 9000 C24 Clincher front
- Continental GP4000S tyre
- Lightweight tubes
- Dura-Ace skewer
- Cassette
- rim tape?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.