TREK ALPHA 1.7 2008

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Zygius

by Zygius

Hello everyone :welcome: . I want to show you my new bike. It weight about 9,5kg. I want a little bit lose weight from it.(without wheels change).

There is part list:

Frame, fork: Trek Alpha 1.7 2008 58cm
Stem: Bontrager select 100mm
Handlebar: Bontrager select 44cm
Handlebar tape: Bontrager
Seatpost: Bontrager
Saddle: Bontrager
Shifters: Shimano 105 5600
Brakes: Shimano 105 5600
Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Front derailleur: Shimano 105 5600
Crankset: Shimano 105 5600 50/34 175mm
Wheels: Bontrager SSR 20/24
Tires: Scwhalbe Durano Pluse
Pedals: Shimano R540
Cables armor : Jagwire L3

Firstly I will change saddle, handlebar, stem. What can you offer for me, that it costs not very much.

P.S Sorry for my bad English. I am from Lithuania :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Welcome aboard. Without nitpicking too much, with what you have, save your money and buy a better bike. I had the same frame (previously known as Trek 1000), and it wasn't very stiff at all. In fact, it moved around quite a bit.

Save your money and start with a solid foundation, then upgrade from there.

Zygius

by Zygius

I am not pro, so this bike is normal for me. But i think i can lose about 0,5kg, because saddle weight is 345g, stem weight 200g, and handlebar i think is heavy. For competitions I always get better wheels :)

Zygius

by Zygius

I need a 52T 110BCD chainring. It can be used or new. Write to me who can send it to Lithuania.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

This isn't the right forum to be making those kinds of requests. There's a section called "Wanted" where you can make those requests.

Losing half a kg on that bike won't make much of a difference. Few, if any, of us on here are pro's, so claiming that you don't want to invest money in your bike because you aren't a pro pretty much means you don't care what we think. Honestly, changing your saddle, stem and handlebar are about as effective as putting lipstick on a pig. You'll maybe save 300g over what you have. That's a waste of money, considering they don't affect you as much as wheels and gears. Don't want to listen to me? No problem. I'm telling you the honest truth. I had that bike. Once you ride something more modern, you'll realize what I'm saying.

Zygius

by Zygius

I understand you :) I don't have lots of money to buy a new,good bike. I am 16 yrs old. Amm, I a little working in internet, so i can change some parts on this bike. If i change saddle, handlebar and stem, and other small parts i would lose about 350g, and with wheels which i get for competitions i would lose 600g, so 300+600, its near 1kg. If i want to sell my bike i would change these parts to previuos and new part coud be use on new bike :)

Another reason why i don't want to buy better bike, that after 2 yrs i will buy a car, and i don't know how much time i will ride a bike :)

Valy

by Valy

Zygius, refreshing attitude) I think so too, the feel is more important than weight)

velosexual

by velosexual

Your bike looks good, however I agree with the others that it wouldn't be worth spending too much money on it. I would suggest cleaning (or even replacing) the bar wrap and cutting the steerer tube down. Also, if you haven't done so already, buy a basic set of tools and learn how to work on your bike. Then go and ride your bike everywhere. Good luck!

by 573

I have a thread on here for my 2009 Trek 1.7. I got it down to around 7.6kg fairly easily. Dig my thread out and have a look to see if you can take any tips to help you.

by 573

Zygius

by Zygius

573 wrote:I have a thread on here for my 2009 Trek 1.7. I got it down to around 7.6kg fairly easily. Dig my thread out and have a look to see if you can take any tips to help you.

Hi, I saw your bike. It's very nice ! But your wheels are so expensive. :) My bike weight is about 9,5kg(with training wheels). And about 9kg(with wheels which i get for races).
Do you think it's possible to reach 8,5kg with training wheels. I think i will change old stem(200g) to Kalloy Uno 7(110mm) which weight is 110-120g, my saddle weight 345g and i think i will change to Fizik or San Marco which weight which weight are 150-220g.
Do you know how much can weigh bontrager select handlebar 44cm ?
I think i can win about 300g if i change tyres and tubes :)

djconnel

by djconnel

I think the bike looks good. I like your proposed changes. Good supple tires and, for racing, latex tubes, and keep the drivetrain clean and unworn are bigger factors on speed than almost anything else.

Zygius

by Zygius

hmm, i changed saddle, but i didn't find a full name(Velo). It's heavy, but very comfortable :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

0.5kg weight loss will make sod all difference to how it rides or how fast you go up a hill. I'd keep it as it is as you have decent reliable kit. Buy a lighter stiffer frame and over time collect ebay and forum bargin to build your next bike. If you take your time you may be able to build something very light. I managed a 7.57kg trek 2300 last year buy doing just that and using D/T shifters to save money. The DA 7800 chainset cost me £46, frame and fork £200 with lots of extra. I took my time and I got something I liked. I still have it but have changed the spec and made it heavier. The key is get a frame you really like and that fits you well. Stiff helps too followed buy light if you can find that within your budget.

Zygius

by Zygius

I think it's good idea! A parts which i will buy will not go away so i can use on new bike :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com