Basso Diamante - Now with Pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Akennelly

by Akennelly

Hi Everyone.

New User Aussie on the forum, but I've been a lurker for a couple of years.

I'm 20 from Melbourne, a couple of months away from starting to compete for the first time in local club crits.
I've been a huge fan of the sport for years, but only started riding proper km's in Jan '14 when I picked up an old Conti team bike for a steal (from an awesome community that Tinea-Pedis administrates here in Vic). That all ended four days ago when i tram-tracked it and cracked the top tube.
While I was devastated, my Brother who works as a trainee mechanic at the LBS started looking around the shops for a good deal on a new bike. While i did love that bike i got second-hand, a new bike seems to be a lot easier to insure here.

So only two days after my crash, I got my hands on a shiny new Basso Diamante with SRAM red (10 sp), Easton EA90 SLX Clinchers and 3T Pro finishing Kit.
I was largely influenced by a CyclingTips article on this frame that i read last year, without ever thinking that I'd ever own such a bike (http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/05/basso ... te-review/)
Other options were on the table for a similar price, TCR SL0, Tarmac SL4, Venge etc etc but I like things that are a little more unique, and you don't see many Basso's around in Melbourne.

I'm going to try get some nice photos up next week, depending on how the weather goes.
I'll also put up some photos of my old bike, as it is in my opinion, one of the most striking paint jobs around (The old Huon-Genysis bike for any Australian Users).

Until then, Here is the build list.
I'm still only a student, so as time goes on, and when the money is available, I plan on replacing some of the heavier parts to get it below that 6.8kg milestone.

Frame - Basso Diamante 2013 Size XL 58cm
Fork - Basso Diamante 2013
Headset - Microtech (Basso in-house component brand)
Seatpost clamp - Microtech
Seatpost - 3T Dorico Pro
Seat - Prologo Scratch Pro Nack
Stem - 3T Arx Team Black Edt 110m 6°
Top Cap - Microtech
Expanderbolt - Microtech
Bar - 3T Ergonova Pro 42cm
Bartape - Deda Cork (Soon to be Arundel)
Bottle Cages - Unknown from old bike (Soon to be Arundel Mandible 3k Matte)
Outer Cables - Gore RideOn
Inner Cables - Gore RideOn (I assume)
Brakes - SRAM Red AeroLink
Front derailleur - SRAM Red Yaw Braze On w Chain Spotter
Rear derailleur - SRAM Red (Short Cage)
Crankset - SRAM Red Exogram BB86
Chainrings - SRAM Red 53/39
Chain - SRAM PC1091R Hollow 10sp
Shifters - SRAM Red 10sp
Cassette - SRAM 1190 10sp 11-25t
Wheels - Easton EA90 SLX (not the new version)
Hubs - Easton R4
Inntertubes - Schwalbe
Tires - Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (Conti GP4000sII on the way)
Pedals - Look Keo Blade 16nm
Polar/garmin/computer mounts - SRAM Garmin Quickveiw - Garmin Edge 510

Total Weight - 7.2kg
Pretty happy with this weight considering there are many easy places to drop weight, plus its a 500g drop from my old bike, and a considerably stiffer frame. If there's anything I've forgotten to mention, Let me know.
Looking forward to seeing my bike evolve on this forum over the coming months.
Last edited by Akennelly on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Sounds a nice build. Basso's have spirit. Now don't crash it!

tbrix

by tbrix

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your bike. I'm a Diamante owner too (2014 model) and also from Melbourne Australia. Tram tracks are like the apex predator for bikes out our way.

These are awesome bikes and I'm surprised their presence on the internets is so rare. C'mon, post those pics!!

Still working up the courage to display my pride and joy...

Akennelly

by Akennelly

A crappy iPhone photo to tide you over until I can sort out getting my hands on a nice camera

Akennelly

by Akennelly

@tbrix - I would love to see your '014 model up!
The aero profiling looks really nice on the new ones, and those basso stems are great.

tbrix

by tbrix

Gorgeous frame. Great build too. Where did you take the photo? Is that Fawkner Park?

I'll start my own thread eventually, but here's a teaser of mine. Sorry for the slight thread highjack.

Akennelly

by Akennelly

That certainly deserves a thread all to itself!

Nah not Fawkner, just a tiny little park near my house.
Good Photos should be up midweek

Akennelly

by Akennelly

Alright time for some nice photos.
(Forgot to put it in big ring, light was fading fast so i didn't have time to retake the photos after i noticed)

I've been pretty busy with study and work, but I've managed to put about 300km of the best hills Melbourne has to offer on the bike now, so I'm really beginning to appreciate how fantastic this frame really is.

Descending and cornering are it's clear strengths. Going downhill, around a hairpin, the bike just feels so secure and planted, theres no sense of imminent tipping, and no speed rattles whatsoever.
While that gigantic headtube and toptube might aesthetically offend some, the benefits they impart on the bike is more than enough for me to deal with.

Going no hands and reaching into the jersey pockets at 50kmph feels totally safe, and transitioning from sitting on the top tube, back to that saddle at 75kmph (which used to result in some serious wobbles on my old bike) is again, very smooth and easy.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the oncoming Australian summer, to put some proper km's on this Italian Beauty, begin racing for the first time, and head over to some real mountains.

Let me know what you guys think!

Akennelly

by Akennelly

By the way, it's just water. Saw someone take photos of their bike on this forum in a similar fashion a few months back, thought it looked pretty awesome

tbrix

by tbrix

That looks great. Well done. And nice photos too. Have you ridden it much? How are you finding it?

Front right brake pad looks like it's on the verge of touching the tyre. Might need to drop it a touch. And I think black bar tape would look even better. I have this stuff on mine. It's great, and cheap.
https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... n-Bar-Tape

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com